Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

The areas right at the edges of multiple biomes where the scenery changes can often be really nice spots. You can get materials from any of the biomes you are near. As for power, see the spoiler below, though it isn’t really that much of a spoiler.

Solar panels are okay but need to be as close to the surface as possible to generate power well. They store power over nightfall though, so if you see you’re depleting that a lot, add more solar panels or seek additional power with another type below.
Thermal power needs the large hole vents (shallows and open biomes,) the spire thermal vents (deeper biomes,) or lava (lowest biomes,) to generate power. The hotter it is, the better power gain you can get. They are often paired with Power Transmitters. There are a few good YouTube videos on how those work together that are worth checking out.
Bioreactors are internal base power systems that can run off any flora or fauna you can put in them. They are good once you have the ability to grow things, but require you to keep them up. They require a large multipurpose room.
Nuclear reactors are another internal base power system good for mid-late game and require reactor rods (a manufactured item) as well as nuclear disposal (like a trash can for spent rods.) They generate a TON of power, but are good for instances where other sources aren’t close by. These too require a large multipurpose room.

That is a warper… not very nice at all…

I had several nuclear reactors and none of my rods ever got to spent. Huge power. All i ever use is water, battery and ship recharging. Water filtration is the largest consumer of electricity. And with mid/late game foods you can grow, water becomes something that you really don’t need as much. What else uses electricity?

I think Moonpools for recharging/repairing, and the big alien containment tanks. If you do power cell charger banks those can eat quite a bit as well, but it’s not often you recharge that many at a time.

I forgot using the fabricator too. If you do a lot of processing it can add up. Scanner rooms do not seem to take as much as you think they would.

Just finished my first play through. 50 hrs on the money. Damn what a great game. I used solar in my main base in the shallows. Had a second base i used nuclear with never went through a rod.

Speaking of finishing the game, what was your reaction when you find out you have storage cabinets onboard your spaceship? What did you load them up with?

I would be very curious to see the data (if they have it) on what everyone is loading up.

I’ll be honest, I couldn’t help myself. I packed them up with everything i could think of. Plants, rubys, diamonds, plasteel, and just because i never want to go hungry or thirsty, a ton of water & all my food bars (I saved all the foodbars I found), along with ion cubes for that alien tech.

HAHA well I was in such a hurry to get off world and see some land I brought nothing but some food and water.

I brought nothing but what I had on me. There was a brief moment when I thought I should get stuff but then I thought, what would they even game at this point. I threw my tools in the time capsule.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if you could build a base off that platform?

New home!

Oooo living on the edge! How are the neighbors? =)

Stasis gun says hello lol. It’s not bad actually, I was a bit worried I would be constantly bombed, but they tend to ignore you once you get in base/craft, unless they were already agroed. It’s certainly a good spot for thermal power lol.

Just finished this. Excellent game. I loved the whole story and the experience through the first 40 or so hours, although resource gathering and inventory management became a drag in the last couple hours when I just wanted to progress in the story and get it all done - distances become quite daunting to haul back and forth just for item X or water bottle etc that you forgot or didn’t know you’d need. At that point I switched from Survival to Creative mode and that solved the issue - glad this is straightforward to do and let me play my way.

I suggest the developers add a global inventory upgrade/tool by the end game to avoid this drag in gameplay in the last couple hours - besides that this was a perfect narrative/exploration experience. Looking forward to whatever they may add on in the future.

That’s impressive. I always wondered about what you’d need down there to survive - do you have to immediately start applying reinforcements when you build b/c I’d think hull integrity would be leaking almost immediately.

I’d like to see a shot from external to see all the pieces and how you do foundation / etc.

Nice work!

Awesome! Congrats man. And @Ultrazen. Nice base!

I finished again, so that’s once pre-live and twice post-live. I love the game, but need to hang up the fins for now (unless there is a DLC, please, please, please.)

What’s crazy is that I completely missed the alien flora research facility. the side room off of a large chamber in the lost river. This game has such an interesting take on information, it drives you to read everything in the PDA.

It’s actually no big deal lol. I was surprised it wasn’t tougher actually. I’ll grab a few screenshots.

I’m down here because I’m basically in farming mode to just build bases in weird spots. This is a great place to setup as you have access to pretty much everything both upper and lower world. I think I’m going to roleplay this playthrough as someone who has decided that real life sucks, and this planet is awesome lol. Maybe some kind of shady past that going back to doesn’t really have much appeal.

Okay, I’m impressed. How on earth did you get that Cyclops down there? That is some mad piloting skills.

There are two spots big enough to get it down there. By that point in the game my Cyclops was my base =) Loaded with small lockers lined along the walls, I had most of my inventory in there. If it had ever sunk, I would have been in a world of hurt =)

Woooo nice view!

I took the Cyclops all the way down there as well. Seemed like the obvious thing to do. :) I did scout the place out with my Prawn beforehand and put down a few beacons to make navigation easier. I never built a base down there, though, that’s pretty awesome.

That’s really cool you set up down there. Me, I found the lighting / darkness to be too much & I got out of there as fast as possible. I had zero interest in hanging around, but I can see the appeal, with the 4 gates that are there. Instant travel to 4 different biomes.

Weird that you didn’t have to load up with a lot of reinforcements on your base to allow it to survive and you even have tons of windows!