Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Ohhh okay, thanks. I was able to almost completely avoid them or keep sufficient distance at least. I was attacked in my Cyclops once by a Sea Dragon and even then was able to escape without too much fire and damage. I encountered Reapers the most and lost a Seamoth to one! (Quit/reload!)

Such an awesome game. It’s one of the few that I’d count as having an absolutely positive value when it comes to bringing up my kids. No violence, no fascist bullcrap about fighting being the only way to deal with the dangerous other, just curiosity and compassion and clever inquisitiveness that saves the day in the end.

This game got a lot right in my book. A shining example.

On the other hand, you can build a Prawn and just drill the **** out of the leviathans. Right in their faces.

With Silent Running active and moving ahead slow, I could pass right in front of the Sea Dragon without provoking it. Neat, and very nerve-wracking.

Crap, I saw this thread bumped, and hoped that meant there was need on the new company finally finishing the Xbox port. I want to get back to it so much!

I want news on the expansion!

Ask, and I shall receive! It’s happening!

And PS4 on the same date, too, but I don’t want to talk about that. I’m so excited to play this again, through to the end this ttime.

Would love to hear some impressions of the final release. I played the game preview a long time ago and the frame rate was so bad I just decided to sit back and wait until it was done.

It is awesome.

It’s great on pc now.

I didn’t specify, but I’m interested in the Xbox release.

Well, it did get better and better over time. The last real release (last December! And then a little patch to enable the ending when the PC version came out) was actually pretty solid for most of the game- it could use singe work certainly, but it was totally playable. Then they went silent, and over the summer handed off the port to a company known for doing console ports well. I have faith that they’ve got it all in order.

I was just coming to this thread to ask when it would be available on PS4…wow I may have an unexpected expense…

To be fair, it still has significant issues with pop-in*, and depending on your hardware and settings (as always!) frame rate. Still an amazing (and playable :) ) game. The issues appear to be fundamental to how they designed the game and I doubt could be fixed without significant re-engineering.

*A fairly common issue is zooming about in your Seamoth and having a wreck render in around you, trapping you.

FYI this game will be FREE on the Epic Games Store from 12/14 to 12/27.

And that’s now! Free game!

My understanding is that the version on the Epic Games Store has no DRM.

I already have Subnautica on Steam, but it couldn’t hurt to have access to a DRM-free version too.

Now THAT is an awesome thing for Christmas. Kudos to them!

But I have to create an account and install their bullshit client, right?

Uh, yeah. Did you expect them to just email you a link? The whole idea of them giving away a great game is to get your future business. Seems like a fair trade off, particularly since they’re apparently going to have further giveaways.