Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Yup. The thing they lets you build upgrades for the prawn and seamoth can only be installed in the moonpool room. Though you don’t need to park the vehicle in the room to use it- you can change them in the field if needed.

Ah, the Vehicle Upgrade Console, my play through’s white whale.

Finished the game at 60 hours, tried not to use the Wiki for the most part. I thought they did a decent job hiding things and making you really feel like an explorer but sometimes it was just too hard. Difficult balance for sure. I wish you could have parked the seamoth on top of the cyclops though, I hated lugging all three vehicles around.

heh. my white whale is the humble battery charger. I need one of those so bad!

The Mk1 depth module is crafted from the vehicle upgrade console, but an already-crafted module can be found at a particular location.

The Mk2 and Mk3 depth modules are crafted at the modification station, which does not require the moonpool. So it’s possible to fully upgrade the seamoth’s depth module without a moonpool, which is what I did in my playthrough.

If you happen to get upgrades via other means, you can install them without the moonpool.

I’m going to spoiler this slightly as a PSA. I found a way to bypass the rubble in one location and gain access to the Aurora’s interior without the repulsion/propulsion gun. Doing so will trap the player though, as you’ll still need the gun to get out. So bring the gun (at the very least) when you’re exploring the Aurora.

This is inaccurate. I’ve explored the Aurora without the propulsion gun at all in my most recent game and gotten both in and out. There’s two entrances, one that needs the gun and is obvious, another that is a slightly winding route that just takes fire extinguishers (that are nearby).

What impresses me with this game is that I play it for about an hour at a time, and during that hour I am generally in the routine of crafting and upgrading etc, but at least one time per hour the game bounces along to something new that makes me really excited to come back the next day to play for another hour. That’s a trick that not a lot of games manage to pull off for me - that consistent feeling of progress amidst the grind. It’s probably why I am mostly drawn to shorter, narrative driven experiences these days. Subnautica certainly stands out in that regard.

Do you swim faster if you’re not wearing the lead liner radiation suit and lead lined radiation gloves?

I didn’t notice it make any difference, though to be fair I didn’t do extensive testing, and didn’t have it equipped for a significant part of my playthrough. The area you need it for isn’t very large.

Man, the feeling of being the King of the Sea when you finally build your Cyclops is unparalleled.

Man I love this game so much!

Total Eclipse:

This is my 3rd base. I am very happy with how it’s turning out.

Very nice @jpinard , I am still working on my 1st base, right near my lifepod, heh.

The location just seems so perfectly located , I figured why not?

I want to start growing melons, as I am mostly living off of creepvine. Playing survival which for the first time in forever, I seem to be really enjoying in a game.

I need 1 more damn piece of lead for my moon pool. :|

I also created a vending machine, that gives unlimited salty snacks! :D

Wow that is huge, and very cool. I just got the tool to start building last night, so the next time I play I am going to find a place to start building. I was picturing only a couple of rooms…

When I grow up I want to build just like you. :)

impressive!

I almost wish there was a reason to do big bases like that. There aren’t enough buildings / items in the game to justify it. In reality you can make due with a single room and two corridor pieces :P :P

In my game I reached the lava section and OMG the big enemy is so fucking big! I think he could take my Cylops and break it in two.

Coincidentally, as I was returning to the surface, I thought on coming back to the island to take some plant seeds and make a little garden, in that journey I found the mountain with the alien cannon.

Once I got the cyclops that became doubly so. Outside of the moonroom needing the vehicle upgrade console for it I really never used my bases. Was nice to just make a nuclear reactor though and forget about power I guess.

And 42 hours later, I finished the game!

A hint, don’t let for last the construction of the platform thingie (I’m trying to not spoil here), as it’s a bit of a chore of collecting all the materials if you are done with the game at that point, having explored and finished the rest.

Someone was commenting some days ago how the game didn’t look like replayable. While that’s true, it doesn’t really matter. they game could randomize more where biomes are located and where resources, and I still wouldn’t play it for a second time, with these 40 hours I feel satisfied enough of survival and exploration underwater.

Dude, that is awesome. Seriously I really like the layout and pics. I feel so … underbased right now. I’m also amazed at the eclipse pic. It seems like you miss a TON of above sea pics in this game because you quickly adapt to being underwater and not seeing the sky.