Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Haven’t played, but the streams I have seen show that the Scanner can be set to show fragments in the area, and upgraded to quite a large range, so you can use that with the HUD upgrade to find and scan every fragment in an area. And you can build small scanner room bases in a couple of places and scan almost the whole place, for fragments, needed minerals, wrecks, etc. (Just needs the scanner room, one compartment, hatch, power source like a thermal gen). Seems like easy mode.

That’s not a bad idea. I built a scanner room early on and sorta forgot about it. Eventually someone stole my camera drones.

And I lost my Seamoth… right near the Aurora, lol.

Never get out of the boat…

I guess I need the torpedo upgrade?

did the anti-personnel mod not get him to let go? I noticed you had it equipped on your seamoth.

He did let me go with about 25% health, but I got disoriented and got me a 2nd time. I ejected before it exploded, but he chased me down and killed me. :p

He normally knocks off 75% health on the seamoth. I’ve found the anti-personnel mod works better than the torpedos but I haven’t used it on a reaper so I wasn’t sure if it worked on them. I know it has some range so you can use it before they hit you if you see them coming. Torpedos are very difficult to aim but the vortex ones will affect you if you detonate it to close to yourself. I replaced my torpedo mod with sonar.

Edit: Looking at your screenshot it seems you didn’t have the electroshock thing primed had you already discharged it? You need to hit the number it is assigned to and then left click to discharge it.

I was not sure how the mods worked, I actually had just crafted them 20 minutes before I died.

No real loss, I just reloaded my save. Was just shocked to see how easy I could die. :D

Ok got it hidden, lol.

Sunbeam Spoilers (After you get to the rescue area)

So I guess you can’t disable the gun before the rescue ship arrives.

:(

Also teleport quick travel? Whats!?!?! :D

I am still early, but I don’t understand this tip. The only signals I get out side of beacons, life pod, etc, are story advancing signals. What signal would I want to uncheck because I explored it?

I uncheck most signals once I’ve cleared the area of anything useful. :)

Also every life pod I’ve found so far is damn depressing.

Should I be going into caves more often than I am (almost never)?

I am really sick of the food and water hunt. Bladder fish have become an incredibly rare sight so I am always on the lookout for salt now. I really want stuff like the water purifier, the thing you can grow plants in, etc, but I am not finding anything interesting. Seems like every blueprint I am finding is just stuff I already have (laser cutter, the cannon) or boring stuff like tables and chairs. Where is all this stuff? Caves?

How far in the story are you? Eventually you can grow melons that really work well for water and food needs. I only found a few useful things in caves, mostly resources.

Everything you need right now is not in caves. One thing to make clear - though it may seem claustrophobic and you may keep coming across the same wrecks you’ve already discovered and searched, there are lots and lots of wrecks.

Every resource in the game has tons of it in certain areas. So what feels scarce now will be plentiful later. Bladderfish are present in high numbers only in certain biome areas. So if you’re not seeing many, you’re in the wrong spot. Same for the best and easiest to catch fish. Hopefully you can make the propulsion cannon soon then you’re on easy street as far as making food.

In your starting area you can grab coral from those big coral tubes and mix it with salt to make bleach. Use bleach to turn the bladder fish low water bottles into higher capacity bottles. Salt is easier to find in creepvine areas during the start of the game (in their valleys). Later on when you feel confident swimming further away you’ll find more easier heading from your pod to towards the Aurora and to the left of it. Front left-front area of Aurora if that makes sense.

Just found the 3rd Lifepod in the story. Commander Soandso or something. Have the Seamoth, an ok base, and all the basic stuff. I can build the cannon, but haven’t yet. I need another diamond before I can build the laser cutter.

Thanks for the tips guys. Think I need to be a little more adventuresome and go farther out.

I noticed in your picture there, that your seamoth had the zapper upgrade. If you had used that, then you would have been released immediately. Any time I was grabbed, Id just do a quick zap and was always let go.

In my experience, bladder fish seem to be more abundant at night. They are also way more visible at that time, so they are even easier to catch.

This game is wonderful! I don’t often buy game right around release time, but the comments in this thread really made it hard to resist. I’m glad I caved! It has some crafting and (optional) survival aspects, but it is first and foremost an exploration game. The crafting is not an end in of itself, but something you do to reach new areas or to feel safer and more confident in the “frontier” areas you are just beginning to explore.

I’m at a point where the end is close but I feel conflicted about wrapping things up. Here are a few pictures of my adventure.

Main base, located a few hundred metres from the lifepod. All the ressources needed until de mid-point are close at hand.

A little home away from home.

Friendly fauna!

My second base. Getting set up there was a bit of a hassle and required many seamoth trips, but it was well worth it.

A few of the many amazing places I managed to discover, often by accident after getting lost and turned around in the caves.

These are great! I wish I had taken more screenshots. It was such a beautiful adventure along the way. Things like color, shadow and sound really amped up the experience.

BTW, love the bedroom in the base, nice job on your interior design.

Thanks! If only interior design was that easy in real life.

I took a lot of screenshots during my playthrough, which is somewhat unusual for me, I can’t remember the last game where I did that without any practical reason (i.e. improvised maps or puzzle solving). I was still discovering new sights until the very end.

I finished the game twice, and both times I had fun. Granted time #2 was not filled with the same amount of wonder as the first time seeing certain events, but it was still very rewarding for me. I really thing the devs got one thing perfect about this game, and that was the exploration. And the experience is so balanced. You see new wonderful things at every phase of the game. It’s not like they ran out of budget and the game gets weaker as you go on. The last screenshot @JFLS posted is a great example of the love and attention to detail added to this game. When you find that place, it is such a refuge from what the rest of the planet is throwing at you. It’s just a great moment. and the moments soon after that become full of anxiety that its just perfect. I could gush on and on about this game.