Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

The disease facility is your next stop and then the thermal plant. You’ll be able to get to the disease facility with your seamoth but after that you’ll need the cyclops/prawn combo. I think most people have trouble finding the hull fragments for the cyclops, the only place I ever found them was in the mushroom forest biome,
around lifepod 13.Also when I made the run for the thermal plant I put a modification station on my cyclops planning to improve the depth modules for both the prawn and cyclops once I had some Kyanite. I didn’t want to have to drive that slow boat back to my base, of course I forgot that I couldn’t take the level 2 depth mod out of the cyclops to improve it. I should have brought a second level 2 depth module for the cyclops for my plan to work.

You can actually do that. I took it out at first, but did the prudent thing and put it back immediately when the Cyclops protested. Then lazyness and curiosity won out and tried again - after saving obviously. The process was quick enough to work, but my modification was built right next to the upgrade bay.

I did feel dumb while dooing it, it’s the equivalent of changing a flat tire while still driving.

I completely agree with that. I think the problem isn’t with the concept or the execution of it, but that there is nothing really exciting to do with it compared to how getting the seamoth and the prawn changes the game.

That feeling probably varies greatly depending on how soon you get it. I did so at pretty much the end, after building a big second base in the deeps. The mobile base factor didn’t have much influence at that point.

Haha. I took my Cyclops all the way down through the trenches to build a base in the Lost River area. Without lights, running on sonar. That was entertaining.

I’m beginning to warm up to the Cyclops. I’m getting better at using the cameras and managing power cells, and keeping foes away with silent running and decoys. I learned not to freak out when I see my windshield cracking… just take a deep breath and calmly make repairs. I still miss the Seamoth as I’m prawning about in the Lost River but I’m getting over it.

Did anyone else here build a power cell charger in their Cyclops and quickly realize their folly? :)

Huh. I did it with lights and I still ran out of lube getting the pig down into the caves. The reward was worth it tho.

Got a ton of kyanite, and upgraded the sub while it screamed murder when i took out the depth bit, upgraded it and put it back. I then popped out to patch her up but apparently I had been quick enough with the process as there was no noticeable damage at all!

Haha, I did that (and a battery charger). For a few minutes, I was thinking that just leaving the lights/power on in the sub was depleting, so I was turning everything off when I was out in the prawn. Then I realized it was just sucking out of one battery into the other. No free energy for you!

well actually… dunno if that got fixed, but back before the big one-oh, you could recharge powercells just a little faster than you’d deplete them, so if you kept busy swappin em around you made power out of thin air. Perhaps with the efficiency mod that might still work.

Anyway I put in a heat reactor and it’s all good. Also the recharger fins rock, infinite seaglide, yay!

Finally got the Cyclops built tonight, almost 2 hours of searching for parts in the biome @Hery mentioned!!!

I was pretty deep underwater in my seamoth tonight, fish smashed against me, the thud made me jump IRL. Hehe…

While playing in VR, tooling about in the inky darkness in my seamoth, there have been a couple of times when I have crapped myself…

Sometimes I really have to breathe deep, and remind myself I am sitting in a chair wearing ridiculous looking goggles in the comfort of my own home and not 400m down in the dark beset on all sides by terrors real and imagined…

Best VR game out there at the moment - and I note they have fixed the menu issues (at least on the experimental branch).

Menus are no longer ‘in your face’?

Seems so - noticed it for the first time last night - but I am playing on experimental branch so no idea if that is propagated downwards.

Cool - I want to give From Other Suns a fair shake but Subnautica is next on the list.

Finished the ending. Such a fantastic game! Definitely my GOTY… easy to say since it’s only Feb. :)

I might play it again… this game drives my instinct to want to become extremely efficient at it. I feel like I did too much back-and-forth travelling and maybe my 2nd base wasn’t in the optimal location. I also didn’t use the scanner room all that much until late in the game. And beacons… must use more beacons.

Trying to find a level 3 depth module for my cyclops I saw it mentioned in a wiki , once I get that I think I can progress further into the story.

Yeah beacons are great, I’ve been tagging bases and river entrances.

Stupid question time: why are your beacon signals red? Mine are blue.

You can change your beacon color in the PDA top middle tab if I recall, you can also turn off ones you don’t want to see. :)

I have spent most of my time in the game just exploring and building bases, and not really following the story. I only just went into the Enforcement Platform for instance, even though the event there was weeks ago in game. (My Inventory was full, so I left the island, and never made it back until now.)

I also ignored the 24 hour notice about something or other. Was that telling me I should have gone to the Aurora to fix it? Should I go now? I don’t want spoilers, just a nudge to get me back on track on the story. The last story info I got was to go to the disease facility, but that is far too deep for me to go yet. Should I just concentrate on upgrades so I can go deeper? Go to the Aurora?

Thanks for any advice.

Yeah head there if you have the gear you need, lots of cutting is required. ;)

As for me…

So I eventually realized I already had the station to upgrade the cyclops depth module, derp.

Needed Kyanite, which I had come across earlier in my Seamoth which was at its crush depth! D:
So I headed back to base 2 which I build near the entrance to the lava area.

See ya Base 1…

Got the sub over to base 2 now with most of my essentials.

I likes to decorate! And yes I have melons growing everywhere for extra food and water.

BASE 2 , I am on the way!

Interestingly power was on, but the bioreactor was empty. Added blood oil and was up and running again. Also seems the 4 solar panels I build were doing squat at around 500m deep… >.<

Kyanite retrieved from my storage and depth modules upgraded! Daylight hit at the perfect time as I was crafting so I popped outside… Such a beautiful game… More pics and a few of special areas , so I’ll spoiler them:

Spoilers maybe? Down to 1200m deep now!

Now back to the tree I found a few days ago! This time in the upgraded Prawn.

Deeper!!!

Ok this goes wayyyyyy deeper than I expected, I need moar BOAT.

Sonar FTW, I am gonna dislike getting this back up to the surface eventually… And the Lava Zone!

Ok… what is draining my Cyclops batteries?

Ack! Time to go stabbing!

Got them all, and apparently I am not melting!

Got down to 1200m , popped out in the PRAWN, looked up and saw my Cyclops went all Bismuth. D:

Love this game so much!

Love you you colored your Cyclops. Nice screenshosts. I hope they expand the lving crap out of this game.