Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Thanks @jpinard!

Has anyone been able to find nuclear reactor parts? I have the disposal unit in my PDA , but the reactor itself is still grayed out , I swear I searched all over the Aurora crash site. BASE 2 is running on biofuel, which is ok for now as there is a ton of blood oil near by.

Has anyone built a base below 1000m? Is it worth it? Lots of lava to power it, but some other resources seem scarce.

Also, there is a really strange feeling being in the sub so deep, I already miss being able to pop my head above the waves. D:

I’ve found lots of nuclear reactor parts but I couldn’t say exactly where, except around wrecks.

Ah ok, yeah I know I still have at least 5-6 more wreck areas to check out when I did my last scan. :)
But that requires going back to BASE1, so I’ll do it later. :p

I just got the scans for the nuclear reactor on a wreck just outside the Enforcement Platform. There is a wreck right next to it that had multiple parts for it.

man, i played the bit where you meet momma emperor leviathan and it just blew my fucking mind! completely unexpected, and not in any bad way.

I love how this game eschews violence as a verb. I wish more games were like this.

Yep, just past that part myself, I think I am nearing the end… Just have to get off the planet now. :)

I won’t spoil anything but the last alien base was amazing as was the way the story ended.

I got the Cyclops back home to BASE 1, working on my final escape now, some launchpad pics near my 1st base / life pod / Aurora:

Pics

And I am done… I have a ton of pics but I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just keep them on my Steam page if anyone wants to see them. :)

Seriously this game was fantastic and I highly recommend it to everyone who might be even slightly interested.

vR8qCsg

Spoiler if you finished , here is what I left behind…

Picture

I just tried Subnautica again in VR. Nope. Not done yet. Far too janky. The potential is there tho.

That’s because they haven’t done anything with it for a long time. :(

Sad. Finished the game.

So. Fucking. Good.

I want more of this. The peace. The wonder. The beauty.

I have to say I love it in VR. It’s my favourite VR game. The majesty of the setting and the sheer immersion of it overrules the jank imho.

you should give DCS a shot if you want majesty in VR 😎

Looking at my Steam profile, it seems I didn’t get the final 2 achievements for completing the game. Anyone else have this happen also?

I didn’t get those achievements either.

Yea, I hate finishing some games.

In a way I am glad I gave up on the witchers’ final bossfight in blood&wine, so that game remains forever unfinished for me 😉

I am amazed at how much the tranquility and nonviolence of this game gelled with me. I love a good fight, hell I used to do Mixed martial arts back when I was young and crazy. But a game where your primary verb is ‘scan’ instead of ‘shoot’… I love that so much.

Just as in life, curiosity is a far better response to a challenge than a raised fist or the cocking of a gun. As a dad, as a man and as a human I feel more games would benefit from reflecting this truth.

I didn’t either, I looked it up and it is bugged.

On the flip side, I made liberal use of the repulsion cannon. It’s not a lethal weapon, but knocking predators around with it was very satisfying.

certainly, or punching them with the prawn. but its just as easy and usually less damaging to yourself to just evade.

most importantly violence is never the only way to progress. taking a good look at things and being curious always is.

i just capped my experience by writing a glowing review on steam. least i could do.

In terms of typical progress, when should I be aiming to build out my base with vehicles, etc. vs. progressing with the story arc?

I got the Seaglide and a barebones base going but not much else and the story bits is starting to either requiring items I don’t have (i.e. a laser cutter to get inside the Aurora) , or go much further down than what I can probably survive for (e.g. 250m deep).

Needing to find all of these random fragments is a bit of PITA…