Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

It can also be helpful to place your moonpool first, if possible.

Those open boxes in the picture yes - I had no idea that stuff could be inside them to scan.

This actually did help me a lot yesterday. I never realized they were things inside those boxes I could scan from the open side of the box. So scanning the box does nothing, but if you swim around to the side of the box with an opening, you can scan it. I was able to find two or three boxes of this kind near my escape pod. Now I can make a Mobile Vehicle Bay.

This seems kind of useless to me, since I can’t build any vehicles. So I’m not sure why I’d want to build a mobile vehicle bay.

Exactly! I believe its random what, if anything, thats inside them, but it help immensely that I have more places to check for new technology.

Those boxes contain about 80% of the early game plans you need, so that’s a good find!

No spoilers, but I’ve triggered a countdown to appear in the upper right side of the screen.

See? This is why I wasn’t following the radio signals you guys! I’m not ready for this! I don’t even know what a Seamoth is yet! And now I have 30 in-game minutes left to get somewhere.

Wait, can that timer appear without knowing what it means? When it appeared I already knew what it was about and had a beacon appear for it.

Yep, sans radio.

@Rock8man, you don’t even have to be there. It’s um … story.

Still confused. The radio is what triggered it I thought, or does it just happen after a set amount of time without even interacting with the radio (which kinda doesn’t make any sense)

Oh ok. It sounded like Rockman doesn’t know what the count down even meant.

When that happened I didn’t even have a base yet.

I think that’s one part of the game I’m not 100% in praise of, but I understand why they did it. For Rock8’s purposes, truly it will be fine.

But for spoiler: I think they wanted to push urgency on the player for the story. Some understanding that nobody is allowed on the planet for a reason, but also understanding of the reason, the infection. I just don’t like the timing or method really, as nearly everyone is in the safe shallows or not far off that point when the message or timer comes in. So to a new player, it seems like, “what the hell, is the game over?” And the common reaction is like Rock8, “I’ve done something to rush the end of the game.” Knowing what happens, it isn’t the end of the game, it isn’t really anything to even need to change the players pace in any way. But I don’t particularly like that method they used to push the urgency. They could have instead just triggered the location as a radio spot, then while the player is there/goes there, trigger the event as it plays out with additional broadcasts like it does.

I was just trying to phrase it vaguely to avoid spoilers for people who are behind me in the game. (Which might be no one!)

That seems to be normal for pretty much all wall-mounted things in the game.

Not for the crew of the Sunbeam :(

Actually, I figured things would be fine, since this isn’t the first time there’s been a countdown in the game. Back a few months ago when I first crashlanded on this planet, there was a countdown towards the explosion of the Aurora.

Again, I won’t spoil what happened there for newcomers, but everything was fine in the end.

Because this thread is getting action, I’ve started up a new game on hardcore mode. I love the ambient music in this game.

I don’t think there is any real time pressure in the game. There is some implied pressure, but based on my experience you can screw around building bases and whatnot for as long as you like.

Is that the one where if you die, that’s it, the game ends? I don’t think I could deal with the stress!

I’m reasonably sure that if you never listen to the radio, the plot does not progress.

It is. It’s not quite as hard as you’d think though. It cuts down notifications to only once (per outing,) plus permadeath. So you’re notified of being low on oxygen one time, at the 30-second mark. You’re notified of hunger/drink one time as well, I think it’s when it starts flashing.

The net effect is you use more inventory space. So I carry an extra tank, an extra food and water (beyond what I normally wander around with for food and water.) And once you’re to the point of upgrades, it really isn’t an issue besides large creature attacks to worry about. I’ve cut it close a few times on oxygen, beyond that I’m playing pretty normally.

Once you know your way around the game, it’s actually pretty hard to die, you have to do something really pushing it, or just ignore all the mechanics and mobs you know about at that point.

Hardcore was fun :)