Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Anyone playing in VR? Did they do something about the menu appearing inches from your face?

No, it’s still right on your nose.

How’s the VR experience overall? It’s probably my next Oculus buy.

It’s always been a great VR experience, really atmospheric and cool. The limited res/visibilty of a VR headset kind of matches being underwater. :)

Some UI issues as mentioned above, like the inventory ipad-like thing that gets pulled up right in front of your face, but otherwise not too bad.

It also only supports controller, no touch. It does have a ‘gaze based’ mouse cursor you can activate that makes inventory management a bit easier. A proper touch UI would be amazing, not sure they’ll ever do one.

The VR performance has been the biggest ongoing issue though, getting worse and worse as they add more stuff over the years. I mean the game can barely hold 90 at the start of the game with a 1080ti, let alone when you get to base-building which is where things really fall apart frame-rate wise. I’ve not got that far since they started removing stuff and optimising for 1.0 though so maybe it’s better now…

They added a bunch of graphics options to pancake recently that don’t appear in VR mode. The main quality setting is very coarse, so if you set to ‘Low’ it runs okay (reduces LoD, lighting, etc) but then the textures are a blurry mess. There’s no seperate texture quality setting. The settings they’ve actually exposed, like AA, AO, bloom, Water Quality, have very little effect on framerate. :P

Hmm, thanks. 1070 here. I’ll proceed with caution :)

Does anyone have a workaround for a floating multi-purpose room I can’t deconstruct because it says I need finish deconstruction of attached components?

Basically I wanted another multi purpose room, and so on a corridore, I added a vertical tube, and then the room on top of that. When I placed the ladder, it was in the middle of the corridore. I could not figure out how to rotate it, so I removed the ladder, then the pipe, and then the room became bugged and I can’t remove it. I can’t even place the pipe back and use it. Now it is just floating in space above my base, blocking a lot of things from being built.

It might actually be something that needs to be repaired before you can deconstruct it…I think I ran into that a long time ago. If you can get inside, check around and make sure there isn’t anything else to deconstruct or repair.

It is fully repaired and you can’t get inside it. Its not connected to anything.

Can you construct a hatch on the room so that you can get inside and see if anything needs to be deleted/repaired?

Nope. Its still stuck. Maybe it will be fixed in the 1.0 patch.

I am really enjoying this game. I like that the survival elements are interesting yet aren’t too punishing. The sense of world exploration is really strong too, I love coming up to a new section and seeing what new wonders await.

The one thing I find annoying is the lack of storage space on your body. I have to go a fair way out to get good resources, and filling up so fast and having to then trek back to base is annoying. It also means I have to forgo carrying equipment that would really come in handy in irregular situations. For instance, I am having to pick between taking the radiation-resistant helmet or the rebreather. It’s just impossible to know when I am exploring a certain area which I will need, and they take up too much space to take both.

Is there any trick to expanding inventory space (on your person) that I don’t know about?

You can’t pick up the floating lockers after you’ve filled them with stuff, can you? :)

Not really. Later there are storage options available with some vehicles, but the earlier bits are kind of balanced around the limited inventory space. You should only need the radiation suit in some areas near the Aurora and it is possible later to ditch it altogether.

So it is a more temporary problem in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe there is still something inside the structure. Have you tried using the freecam command after enabling the console? That’ll let you ghost inside the multipurpose room, where you can then presumably deconstruct the other object. Make sure you save first.

Pretty sure you can’t interact with anything while in freecam.

Though you could pull up the overlay and maybe try to warp inside to do it. If there’s anything in there even partially constructed that would block it from being deconstructed.

Yeah, I meant freecam in, locate the object and if found, disable freecam and then uninstall the object.

That being said, there was one bug I found a long time ago relating to placing picture frames on glass walls, inside multipurpose rooms. The picture frame would be half-built and stuck/uninstallable, thus preventing you from uninstalling the room.

Only other thing I can think of is to find a way to damage the structure enough to destroy it. Strange that there is no “destroy this object I’m looking at” command.

Tim, as mentioned, it’s a semi short term issue. You’ll get bigger storage with vehicles as you progress, and eliminate the need for extra air tanks and the rad suit, so to speak.

This game needs resources to make things but it’s really hard to prioritize at first. But don’t fall into the trap of carrying things you don’t need to.

Early game, take extra water and preserved food with you, but don’t carry back things like titanium, lead, uncooked fish, etc. Those are in abundance right near the pod and probably first base. Use your inventory for what’s harder to get near your base. So early game, carry back things like copper, silver, and salt. Later game, carry back rare resources. Gold is used but you find a ton of it. Lead is rarely used and you find many tons of it.

Floating lockers will stay in place, so fill them up if needed, then go back to those later. Also, not mentioned, but beacons are your friend. Tag areas with good resources and go back when needed. Things slowly respawn in game.

Great info thanks!

I am 1/3 in discovering the Seamoth blueprint, hopefully that is a vehicle that has some more storage. Unfortunately I forgot where I scanned the 1/3, haha, so I will have to use trial and error to try and get the remaining two parts.

No worries. The game will flood you with some blueprints, so keep exploring if you can’t refind it. Also, once you get later tools, go back to old wrecks and re-explore.

You’re going to run in to scary stuff. Persevere. Deep water and scary things hide greater knowledge and treasure.

This is really why i love this game. Sure, on some level, it’s almost like a jump-scare horror game- once you know what’s coming and how to deal with it, it loses its sense of dread (and replayability). But when you’re exploring the unknown, pushing into greater depths and new regions, finding all the weird stuff down there, it is epic.

I don’t hold it against the game that it doesn’t have co-op multiplayer, but when someone builds a multiplayer survival crafter like this that doesn’t rely on shitty leveling grinds like ARK or Conan (no matter how you can tune them, and preferably with some procedural generation option like ARK), I’ll probably buy a copy for everyone on my friends list.