Subway's revamp - Well, you tried

I think you meant “Krab” since very few sandwich places (and none of the large chains) use actual crab meat. It’s usually the same mix of whitefish and crab juices for flavoring.

Our Domino’s is awful. Every time I get pizza there the toppings are beyond sparse and it’s dry and gross. When it opened years ago it was good, but then I think the franchise owner got cheap.

I always thought that was a weird thing to brag about. Sliced fresh? Okay, I guess. I’m more concerned with the quality of meat and whether or not it’s a frozen brick that sits in a freezer for weeks before I see it in my sandwich.

I tried Jersey Mike’s before I realized it was a chain. Thought it was OK. Nothing special.

Do not speak to me of a potato cakes-free Arby’s!

;)

My main issue with Subway is that there are two local sub shops just as close that sell far better subs for less.

They advertise (and taste) that they have only premium meats and bread baked fresh daily. Now, to be fair, all sub shops spout the same thing, but I really can’t tell a major difference. Maybe it’s that? I think they taste better but I haven’t had Subway in so long, who knows.

If you get it “Mike’s Way” with some of the pricier meats, it absolutely approaches the quality of places around Philly. The original location was in Point Pleasant, NJ. It was a shore business with an owner who sold and then a kid who grew it up. They used to advertise specifically Dietz & Watson meats but I think they’ve become their own supplier now with so many locations/franchises. It’s still sliced when you order in store though and I actually had one last night and it was still great.

And they all want Sunchips!

Pretty good article on Cancro, the once 17 year old kid who created Jersey Mike’s.

The local one across the street from the college quit stocking SunChips a few weeks ago. My wife was NOT happy.

Did they revamp the menu by putting tuna in the tuna, or are we not there yet?

Edit : Apparently it was tuna all along.

I like the phrase “bread products.”

Canada only has Quizno’s and Mr Sub up here as a competitor to Subway. Blimpie tried but withdrew.

The one Subway item that I always felt almost offended by is their “Steak”. I don’t know what kind of weird limp roast beef or whatever meat that is, but it in no way tastes like what one thinks of from the word “Steak”. If they could replace that stuff with real steak, even if it meant charging a lot more, it would be a huge improvement.

Subway is fine but certainly not a go to choice. Just get the club or something fairly plain Jane. Never tried the seafood sandwich and it kinda terrifies me someone here did. But like others have said, there are lots of sandwich shops around now. They gotta go back to cheap but ok or they’re hosed.

The Seafood sub had Alaskan Pollock. It tastes just like crab to me, and is generally what is used whenever you see “imitation crab”. It’s good stuff. Don’t know why people are afraid of it. It’s not as if it’s something artificial created in a lab or something.

In general I avoid fish at any fast food place. Fried fish is fine. But like tuna salad or something along those lines just rubs me the wrong way unless I’ve made it or it’s at a slightly nicer place.

Tuna is kinda like chili, in that there are a hundred ways to make it, and everyone generally prefers how their parents made it. I don’t like sweet very much at all, so I would never order tuna from someone else. That says nothing about whether it’s bad or good, it’s just almost certainly not going to be what I like about tuna salad, which is celery and capers and subtle relish and onions and . . .

Whatever my taste is, it isn’t coming out of a tub from Subway corporate.

I’ve been eating Subway’s meatball subs since high school, and in those two decades I don’t think that particular menu item has changed at all.

As meatball subs go, they’re perfectly okay fast food. If you can enjoy a hamburger from Wendy’s or a pizza from one of the major chains you can enjoy a Subway meatball sub.

This concludes my very exciting account of my own history with Subway.