Succession - HBO

If Greg becomes CEO, then Succession will have become the greatest slow-roll Game of Thrones troll possible.

Yeah, Greg being CEO would be a very terrible ending.

Pshaw. It will be hilarious.

I think there’s plenty of justification for Greg ending up in the spot if the Mattson deal goes through.

But I also think the question of who ends up as CEO when the music stops is of secondary importance, at best. As long as the individual characters receive a satisfying ending, I’m good.

Can we all agree that Gerri would actually be the best CEO, though?

To be clear, I don’t want her to end up at the helm, because chairmanship of ATN is not a prize but a curse. But just in terms of competence, does anyone else rank?

Yeah, I certainly agree that Gerri is the best. I was rooting for the Gerri/Roman partnership while that was on the table.

“But who amongst you has a better story then Greg? Greg the Egg?”

I feel like I’m the only fan of this show who doesn’t think it matters who ascends the iron throne. The characters in this show are amazing – great writers, actors at the absolute top of their game – it’s compelling. I love watching them collide with each other’s egos every week.

But as for who wins? All the sibs are assholes. They’re sympathetic because we see why they’re assholes, but they’re still assholes. They’re also all miserable. None of these things are likely to change based on who gets what job.

I’m with you. I have my suspicions, but anyone could take it in a way that is satisfying (in a schadenfreude sort of way). If well written - which I assume it will be…

This is my take, as well. Seems the title of the show is either ironic or superfluous. Logan’s actual successor is less important than the state of the family (and world) he left behind.

Exactly.

I doubt many would disagree with these sentiments. But the writers are clearly leading us to a final episode climatic battle over leadership and its the internet so got to talk about something…

+1 Team Tom

There’s also the distinct possibility that whoever “wins” (assuming any of the family actually does, which is not a given), they end up going down in flames anyway.

I think the show is definitely about the things you inherit. But it’s trauma and abuse passing down through the generations, not property. That was what clicked for me in S1, when Logan stepped out of the pool and we see his back is a mass of what looks like whip-scars.

yes, my speculation is that the merger goes through, and the family gets blown out, including Shiv. Mattson does appoint Greg the US CEO as he’s easily manipulated and controlled. Tom, being the cockroach he is, ends up working for Greg rather than vice versa and hating it.

An ending like that just feels too “cute” for this show.

My ideal ending for Succession would be for the real world to actually pierce their bubble in some consequential way. What’s actually going on in their parallel world is much worse than what happened in ours - if Fox had declared Trump the president-elect because his goons burned 100K ballots in WI, and the rest of the media followed suit, then I’m reminded of David Simon’s tweet:
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/874415381615706114. At some point, all that is left to do is go pick up a brick.

It could nicely echo the ending of Tar, where the scandal was steadily gaining momentum around her, but she was closed off to it by her individual willfulness and social bubble, until it was all too late. As Shiv said, “things happen” - but I don’t think we’ve seen the things yet.

Do we know how long the series finale will be? I’m hoping 8 hours.

It’s 90 minutes.

Okay. I guess I’ll watch it.