Suggest an RTS for me

Let me know what you think of Rise of Legends. What with getting into Star Wars Empire at War and now the Kohan 2 demo sinking its hooks into me, AND a Dawn of War expansion coming, I don’t know how I’ll find the time :)

I’m not Rob, but I have been playing RoL a bit today. I got it a week ago, and played just a few missions, then got sucked into playing some real old games like Pirates! (which I had never installed… pitiful fool that I am). At any rate, when I first tried it, I was like “what does this do?” “where do I put this?” “why do I want to do this?” - so while I could see it was good, it didn’t click. However, after a week to settle in and me actually reading the manual, I gotta say I’m digging it now. I’m still early in the game, but I feel like I have somewhat of a grasp on what I’m doing.

You ought to try Shattered Union for a good (if short lived) turn based strategy game with a great premise.

If you want depth, and like more historical themes, do try Rome:Total War (or it’s predecessors, still awesome games though not as pretty). It merges a great meta-campaign (without the tedious rinse + repeat build-base formula of most RTS’s) with huge army battles.

Sorry, not buying it. The game won’t let you pause and issue orders. What if the slowest speed just isn’t slow enough for me? I might be retarded, but at least Rise of Legends recognizes this possibility and lets me order everything around when it’s paused.

And you haven’t even played the full version of EaW!

Rise of Legends has had me hooked since its release. Just make sure you don’t screw up the campaign like I did. THis was a great thread for helping with the campaign structure: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=26328

Since I don’t read every thread, can I ask what your condition is? Accident? Arthritis? CT surgery?

He’s a compulsive masturbator.

I hear, quite reguarly, that Medieval Total War is the best of the series, but I’ve never played any of them.

IIRC, you can’t issue a move order, but there are several you can issue.

What if the slow speed isn’t slow enough for you? Then you don’t get the game! That’s why I said try the demo first.

Which is why I stated that quite clearly in my post.

Rome Total War is quite fun. It’s not quite as sophisticated in battles as Medieval but it works well on the higher difficulty levels. Hardest/Hardest is actually a challenge! It’s such an attractive game i’ll just sit back and watch it rather then play it at times.

Empire at War is a game with a great premise and some good ideas that cannot rise above the crushing straightjacket of it’s licence. There are lots of little issues - turn based vs. real time, unit balance, smallness of tactical maps, unimaginative strategic map design - that start to add up into a less then stellar package. I guess what sucked the fun out of it for me was that it seemed that while Westwood… er, Petroglyph, aspires to do nothing more or less than create the perfect 13 year old boys’ action-movie game, EaW is so burdoned by the Star Wars franchise that it’s more concerned with remaining consistent with the movies then in creating it’s own forelorn narrative. You get the main characters from the movies, but no one else. You get the all the critters - the Wookies, the Ewoks - but hardly anyone else. You get this giant Star Wars multiverse to play in, and all they give you is the Emperor and that General Piett guy to conquer it with. Instead of creating an interesting narrative in the campaign in single player, you get a Command and Conquer style take-over-the-galaxy campaign. Instead of writing your own story, Luke automatically destroys the Death Star every time. They recreated the movies to the point of actually limiting you to the scope of the movies.

That, and those annoying Corellian Frigates that have 100% accuracy and shoot down all my fighters instantly :D.

Dawn of War is great fun for a while. I’m looking forward to the expansion. It might not hold your interest for years, but it’s a fun ride.

I haven’t purchased BFME2 despite all the love for it. I have enough games already languishing and needing to be played. My only problem with it was that from the demo it felt predictable - goblins are weak and cheap, dwarves are slow and strong.

Rise of Legends is a better game then it lets on. I even enjoy the single player to a degree. Perhaps it’s greatest failing (other then connectivity in multiplayer) is that it doesn’t appear at first glance to be the AAA title it really is. You have to dig into the game for a week or so before finding it’s hidden treasures.

IIRC, you can’t issue a move order, but there are several you can issue.[/quote]

I should clarify that I’m referring to pausing and issuing orders on the Galactic Map, where such a feature is most needed. Would’ve been useful.

Which is why I stated that quite clearly in my post.[/quote]

Right, my point is that you’re recommending the full version based on the demo, yet you don’t even know what the full version is like. How can you even know that the demo “gives you a good taste of the [full] game” if you haven’t even played it?

Let us know what you think once you get the full game and play through one of the campaigns; you may find that the strategic AI, mostly absent in the demo, becomes quite a pain in the butt in the full game, especially when your ability to make good strategic decisions is limited by the lack of a fully implemented RTS pause feature or a turn based mode of play.

Yes, I’m reccomending the game, but I noted I’d only played the demos and I’m sure Rob is a big boy who can judge my comments in that light :)

I can click fast, and I’m sure that Rob with only one hand has developed better mouse skills than most, so not being able to pause on the galactic map is not something I preceive as a problem. I’m not looking for the full 4X turn-based experience.

OffTopic: This is making me miss Tie Fighter…