Suggestion for an inexpensive 2 in 1 laptop

My daughter works as a caretaker for severely mentally handicapped and end of life individuals. As part of her work, she carries her laptop around with her and does medical charting. Her current laptop is failing and she is looking to get a new one.

She doesn’t make much money, and her needs do not include gaming, etc. But she does need it to not be slooooowwww in what she does do. She also needs Office so looking for the cheapest non-subscription option there.

A 14 inch would be ideal, and she saw an HP 2 in 1 that she really liked at Best Buy (that I can’t seem to find now.) The ability to use it in tablet form at times works well for her, and it should be light. Prefer an Intel core (such as an i3) 8 g ram and about 500 G storage (does not need to be an SSD.) Price - less than $500 ideally, lower is best for her budget. Oh, not a Chromebook.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

That $500 price range is EXTREMELY limiting for a 2 in 1.

Wirecutter suggestions <$500

Yeah I might suggest looking for a used Surface Pro or something. I’ve got a first gen one that has been a tremendous computer for me. That might get you all the performance you need, without paying the $1000+ price for a newest model one.

The high end Surface Go has some interesting features.

The main problem for her with the Surface Go is the need to store about 500 Gig of data.

External hard drive?

True, that’s an option (EHD)

Why is she having to purchase a computer needed for work out of her own personal finances? Or will she reimbursed and is being asked to be cost conscious?

They don’t provide personal computer to the employees (non-profit.) I believe if you don’t use your own you have to run across the building to the desktop they have in the building to enter the charts they do. My daughter prefers to carry her laptop with her as she is working with the various individuals, especially since a couple that are assigned to her are severely challenged.

The Lenovo Ideapad Miix 320 and the Ideapad 120s are very cheap at less than USD 400.

They should be able to run Office fine without trouble.

Saw this on the deal sites today, not bad…

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-13z-touch-laptop-3ec92av-1?

Figure this is a good thread for this.

I am interested in getting a small, portable laptop.

All my gaming needs are met by my desktop, but I need soemthing that can connect to a USB and play audio.

I am teaching classes in a few places away from the central academy i work in, so being able to use audio in my clases would be wonderful.

For the time being I will faff about trying to get the files on my phone, but ideally i want a sustainable, good solution (i.e. no phone)

It’s not urgent and I’d want something cheap.

A tablet could also do, if I can connect with usb.

edit> updated. I got myself an Asus X540Y.

It works, and it was cheap. There were tablets available at a higher price.

It is however rather slow.

AMD E processor, single core.

I’d gotten rather used to multi core computers so the difference is…noticeable.

I came accross this article> https://uk.pcmag.com/2-in-convertible-laptops/83721/the-best-2-in-1-convertible-and-hybrid-laptops

if anyone is still looking to get a laptop.

I am very tempted to refund this Asus and pay the extra for the extra.

This Asus is wonderfully light but so…slow…:(