Suggestions for future improvements to our forum software

Is it a known issue that the “most recent” poster won’t show up if it happens to match the “started the thread” poster? Here’s what this very topic looks like when I see it in the topic list (even though Wumpus is the reply above mine):

(of course, now that I have posted, and I am not Wumpus, it will show my icon instead, but you get the idea). I see this often if it would be helpful to find other examples.

Yes, the blue outline means the last poster is the topic originator, that way we avoid duplicating the same avatar twice.

Oh! Neat! How does it determine that second person? My screenshot showed arrendek, but Alistair was the one above you.

Possibly caching? The CSS selector uses :first and :last as I recall. On a default Discourse install it is 5 avatars, left to right,

1. topic originator
  2. most frequent poster
  3. second most frequent poster
  4. third most frequent poster
  5. most recent poster

Here only #1 (first) and #5 (last) are showing via the magic of CSS.

Is this the thread to talk abbot forum wonkyness?

I access this forum on three platforms- a Windows 10 8" tablet (Atom, I think), a Google Nexus 5x, and a 2nd gen Google Nexus 7. All three I use Chrome as my browser with no ad one or extensions.

The forum is weird on the N7. Often when I’m reading a thread, it’ll jump down several posts for no reason (though it seems to happen when there’s something embedded in the post I’m reading- a tweet or page/product link, for example)- and no this isn’t loading up the next ten posts- it’s very different from that. Also, when getting to the bottom of a thread, it seems like it squeezes the margins in a weird way- sometimes that reflows the text (like in this box), sometimes it just shifts things around a tiny bit. Super annoying. It does not do this on either the phone or the Windows PC, and I think it only happens in portrait orientation (the same orientation I use the phone and PC in)

I tried writing a quick script to scrape all of the youtube videos odd of the music thunderdome thread. (Enter the Game Music Thunderdome)

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get the posts.json syntax to work (referenced here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/api-to-fetch-topic-by-page/63342), so I wasn’t able to pull the full text of the posts to parse out the youtube links. Thanks to dynamic scroll, I couldn’t just pull the full html to parse either.

I did notice that the topic json has a detail.links on it that seems to have the first 50(?) links it captures on the topic? So, I was able to regex out the youtube links from there, and that mostly worked, but it didn’t appear to be all of the videos.

Somebody with more experience with discourse could probably make it work, or I might poke at the apis some more later.

Whatever calls you need, basically press f12 in the browser and observe / repeat

Official API docs are at docs.discourse.org

Thanks, I did figure it out eventually. I’m not sure why it wasn’t working before, but I was able to get a working query url doing just that.

As covered in the other topic (How do I get Discourse to…), we rejiggered search to more heavily weight topic titles, the person who built it wasn’t aware that postgres had weightings.

Also in:title now works, though it is not exposed in the advanced search UI quite yet.

Yes, this is a known issue, sorry.

I’m not sure whether to post this here or in the How Do I Get Discourse to do X thread. Something something thunderdome.

Anyway, when I open a thread now, it takes me to the latest post, but about an inch lower, so that I see this:

It seems to be this way on every thread, whether I access it through Latest or Unread or just by browsing through the categories.

Is this a me problem?

I’m having the same issue on mobile, Chrome, should be up to date.

Does this maybe have something to do with the new CSS changes y’all made and the boatload of custom modifications we have running here at Qt3, @wumpus?

Just started noticing the same thing this weekend. Running safari on whatever the latest iOS is on my iPhone X.

Same for me on mobile Android using chrome

Same here.

What I think it’s doing is scrolling to the beginning of the post’s text, instead of scrolling to the beginning of the post. So, it’s scrolling to below the avatar and username.

It seems like it might have something to do with the CSS / font size changes?

Happens on Android / Chrome. I didn’t mention it because I was going to try restarting my phone first, but haven’t bothered yet.

I didn’t make any changes, so most likely it’s a code-side issue.

Same for me, chrome on Android.

Yes we think @sam accidentally caused this issue when he upgraded jQuery…

OK @sam has fixinated this, and I deployed latest. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the quick fix!

I expect my bill to be adjusted and credit applied to my scrolling balance so I’m not penalized for the additional navigation necessary in the interim.