Suggestions for future improvements to our forum software

That’s… A little annoying to do constantly when catching up on old threads. It just seems like a silly abstraction, especially on large screens where space is hardly at a premium.

Bringing this back on topic…

Jun '10

means June 2010

Jun 10

means June 10th of the current year.

Some people have proposed using European style dates, so that

10 Jun

would be more differenterishing than

Jun '10

However, note that you’d practically never see those dates side by side, because by the time the topic posts get that old, all the dates will be in the “old n’ stinky date” format. And when you do hit a big time discontinuity in a topic, such that the date format would change …

It is pretty trivial to write a browser extension that grabs the date because the date is right there in the metadata for the post, like so, in two different formats in fact.

<span title="Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm" data-time="1500513842731" data-format="tiny" class="relative-date">Jul '17</span>

So you could probably bribe @arrendek with blood sausage or something to get him to write a line of code to make it how you want it in your browser.

Why not just write the full year? Jun 2010. No-one has to try to figure out what that means.

It’s already in the user script I posted although sometimes it takes a second after a new page loads to change the date format.

Indeed, why don’t we write out the www as World Wide Web, every time we see it? That way nobody could possibly be confused.

Well, there you go @habibi the feature you want already exists.

C’mon. The difference between Jun '10 and Jun 2010 is ONE character. ONE! The addition of one single character makes it very clear. Sometimes you argue about stuff just to argue, I think.

I was not asking about the month. It’s the year that hope will be expanded… i.e. May '15 to be expended to May 2015 because sometimes, that read as 15th May. So yeah, it is STILL ONE character… :)

Great news… much love to you @arrendek.

This is the link to @arrendek’s user script… what a gem! How can we stickie or made it easy to find or something?

Not on mobile it doesn’t. It’s really, really annoying (I’ve asked for it to be fixed here before). It doesn’t matter that you don’t see them side by side. Quite the opposite. Because you only ever see one or the other, you have to spend time working out which is intended, whereas if they appeared next to each other it would be pretty straightforward to work out the difference. If I see Jun 10 on its own, I have no idea if that means Jun 2010 or 10 Jun, not least because in my own workplace we frequently use a DD-MMM-YY format. And even when you’re aware of the difference, if you’re just seeing the date out of the corner of your eye while reading a post, the ’ doesn’t exactly stand out.

How can anyone NOT like the above???!! What a “quality of life” change! Thanks @arrendek! You are my hero!

Yep, good thing you know what century that was posted in. phew!

It’s not about which century. The date helps when you are catching up one TV episodes especially when the date change to the following week and you know people are talking about the following week’s airing!

As an example in my screenshot above. I was reading the interview with Gilligan (on Breaking Bad) and then the next post by Warning is actually on Episode 2… and I was caught off guard. What was he talking about? Looking at the date it just said “Jul '11”. Was Warning talking about current episode and praising it “great episode” or was he talking about next week’s because I don’t remember the “fleet of foot” quote in Episode 1.

You could of course just hover your mouse over the date, or click on the date, when that rare level of precision is needed.

Or just run the arrendek script, if that’s your preference.

It’s still unclear why you’ve got such a boner for whitespace that you think it necessary to introduce the confusion in the first place, though.

I want to add that arrendek’s script does not work on mobile/tablet but whatever…

I love it! That looks awesome. Can we get that implemented without having to use arcane scriptures?

Is this the thread where we report issues? I have a repro for a thing I’ve noticed here and there finally.

I guess I might as well just drop it here and move it later if need be.

Sometimes when I post and go back to the unread posts view, I’ll see my own post right there at the top. Turns out if you scroll up to reply to someone’s post and then hit post and back out, you leave an “unread” post in the thread, even though it’s yours, since it never was on your screen (you weren’t looking at the bottom of the thread when you posted). It would be nice if Discourse could ignore your own posts for that feature.

@DaveLong mentioned the Discourse mobile app and I revisited it again today. How about a button to quickly switch among forums, much like Safari’s tab switching?

Here’s another way to reproduce it:

1. Go to a thread, type up a reply.
  2. Go to a different thread, then hit the ‘reply’ button on your draft.
  3. Select the ‘post in original thread’ option.
  4. The post you just wrote is marked unread.