Suggestions for future improvements to our forum software

But… but… but but… but… … but but… but… … but.

Like this?

Yeah, this happens to me very rarely too. I’ve only had it happen while on QT3 (but I don’t really do other forums so not sure). I think it happens when I get a phone notification around editing but I have never figured out a way to recreate it. I just nuke chrome and pull the page back up.

It’s happening here too. I can cut and paste this link and post it other places, or open from webmail, and the link opens fine. But only here at Qt3 does a link open a Qt3 app/window-like thing that forces portrait mode. Also, if I manually select to open to new tab, or cut and paste link into address bar it doesn’t do anything strange, just when clicking the Qt3 embedded version.

Last time was polygon, this time it is slate.

I’ve seen it on other Android devices as well, specifically the Moto X.

Any specific set of steps to repro this?

Well, on Android, there is a feature that Google calls “Add to Home Screen” (and since it’s Google, it is also called Improved Add to Home Screen or WebAPK).

This means that if a website provides a set of ever changing basic features, Google Chrome will prompt you to add the website to your home screen (after you pass an arbitrary engagement threshold).

If you accept Google will create an app of the website on-the-fly, which packages the website just like a native app, in your app drawer, with a splash launch screen, and everything.

You can uninstall it anytime.

Our first interaction of this had all rotations free, but we got a pull request that told us to use natural, that enforces the device native orientation. I’m happy to undo that.

Definitely undo. This is the second helpful “android community pull request” that has bitten us in the ass @falco

In the meantime @kerzain delete the faux Discourse “app” that Android has created for you as a workaround.

Not yet. I’ll see if i can figure it out. Now that i know other folks are hitting it, i know it’s not just my phone.

Thanks for all this. I will research this as soon as I’m back at my tablet and see about undoing whatever feature I might have idiotically enabled at some point.

I tried to identify a reproducible set of steps for this bug, but haven’t been able to yet. It seems random.

At one point yesterday, I started replying, typed a sentence, but after I hit the period I noticed that autocorrect had screwed up a word, so I went to click on that word to fix it… and stuff was busted. But I don’t know what was special about those steps that caused it, as it certainly doesn’t happen every time I do that.

Thanks for providing additional info, this helped, with the help of @falco we’ve reverted that “helpful” community PR which forced orientation on Android in the context of a Chrome website app. It should use whatever current orientation you have now.

Aces.

The bug where interactions start hitting higher than your finger on the android touchscreen may be related to switching browser tabs… It may be related to switching to a tab with discourse, and interacting with the editor quickly right after switching.

I can’t confirm this yet, as it’s hard to reproduce, but that seems to be a factor that is common.

If you can get a solid repro that’d be super helpful. We’ll continue to look into it, and I just got my OnePlus 6 for further testing too.

I seem to remember getting them a lot when replying in the BSG forum game threads. Maybe connected to a lot of images in the thread?

I might also have changed tabs, checking PMs for hand statuses or the first posts in the same thread in another tab to look up card effects.

I will say that for me it only started happening last week. So it may be some Chrome update that did it. OTOH, I’ve only seen it happen here on these forums.

Here is what this looks like since I just saw it on the one plus 6

I’ve been using this feature for a while now. I used to have just a link to the website which would open Chrome on my desktop, but maybe a full year or more now I’ve had the Google native webapp thingy instead. I think they changed it about 6 months ago to make it a little better, too? Can’t remember.

This sounds right, in my experience. A lot if the time I’d open a new tab to link an article or something, and have the issue when I came back.

Today i encountered the problem without switching a tab.

I just got reply, tied a sentence, and when i hit the period at the end, the interactions were screwed up.

I’m unable to identify what the common linkage is between instances of the bug.