Suggestions for future improvements to our forum software

Yeah. Confluence’s not-quite-markdown, while well intentioned, is very terrible.

test wow amazing
who knew not me that’s for sure
I have no
idea what I
am doing duh

Bumped threads still show up in the category list even when I mute them. They no longer show up anywhere else, but they won’t go away here:

Yes, this is a known limitation, category page on mobile won’t inherit that.

Some information about this:

I’ve since encountered this issue a few times, and recalling your post here, I tried doing some stuff.

When the exited is up, it’s impossible for the address bar to go away. It stays up, no matter what.

It’s definitely possible that this issue may present itself in cases where the address bar is not visible when you open the editor. I’ll see if that can reliably reproduce it.

Edit:

Nope… Didn’t reliably happen with the address bar showing our not showing.

The touch offset when it happens appears to be exactly the height of the address bar, which is a hell of a coincidence. They also have multiple open bugs on their tracker related to address bar offsets happening inappropriately. I can repro what I posted above on my device every time but others cannot.

Yeah, i can totally see it being related to the address bar. It makes sense, and the offset does seem to match up. I just can’t reproduce it consistently. I think it’s worth focusing investigations on that though.

@wumpus Sometimes I want to put something between two asterisks… I can’t seem to figure out how to do that because two asterisks means it will turn the word to italics. I can’t even show you what I mean because I can’t get it to display that way.

It’s a common convention for using something like shrug or sigh or similar. Any suggestions?

*shrug*

You can use the escape backslash before the asterisk to get it to display like above:

Thanks!

Just read through http://commonmark.org/help the tutorial explicitly covers this.

Good news everyone. The touch offset bug was fixed by the Chromium team, and the fix is live in Chrome Canary 69.0.3486.0.

It will be live on Chrome stable in ~10 weeks.

Noice.

Wumpus is still listed in the FAQ:

If you have an issue with something specific to Discourse, one of the software’s creators @wumpus is frequently available as well.

Are we still using this thread for bug reports and helpful suggestions about Likes, Animated Avatars, Signatures, Auto-Play videos, and Ignore?

Thanks, I edited that out. Amazed anyone actually read a FAQ.

And sure, go for it. If they require code changes though, you might have better luck sacrificing a nice fat goose and reading its entrails.

I guess @wumpus wont ever read this, but I had an idea for a new feature: if two people reply to each other for like 10+ consecutive posts on a thread without anybody else posting in that thread, have a pop-up that says “hey, did you know that Discourse has Direct Messages? Try them here.”

I’m sure you could still suggest that on the Discourse main forums or social media or something.

I’m pretty sure there are already two features for that. One for warning people if they’re responsible for too many posts in the thread in general, and another when they’ve got too many replies in a row to the same person. But those might have been turned off for this site, or tuned to have very high thresholds. I haven’t seen one in a while, and they were really annoying for some forum use cases.

They’ve been turned off, I believe. And yes, they were very irritating.

Wait, what did I miss?