Suggestions for streaming internet to TV

Since this is the only android device I have, I am sure I am just confused. Isn’t Plex for network playing. The app that comes with CoStar seems fine for that, not the best but I don’t have problems with it. I think the primary issue with the Co-Star is the damn thing is highly unstable. It’s a crap shot that it will even turn on most the time, assuming its not already on and I forget since there is no light of any kind on the front.

Out of the box it sucks, but I guess when I get the time I can try and see if there is more i can do with it.

The plex media client for android will play local files stored on your computer running the plex media server. The server will transcode video so you can play any format. It will stream to your iOS or android phone/tablet too. It also has dozens of plugins (called “channels”) to play media from the internet. This includes things like netflix, hulu, youtube, revision3, pbs, amazon, vimeo, etc.

If the hardware is unreliable, return it. That’s unacceptable. If your problem is with the software, Plex (and later XBMC) will probably fill your needs. I personally prefer XBMC, because it’s more customizable and there is no linux plex client (“just” iOS, android, windows, and OSX).

Hmm, well I knew a fresh out of the mnf product might be glitchy, but this seems pretty bad. According to the website I would need to set-up a server to use this? I am a HuluPlus subscriber, so if I can get Hulu on this little box that might be handy, and if the channels work better than the just a chrome bookmark, that coudl be nice too. I just can’t tell if its bugged software or if the unit is subpar. The universal remote, to anyone looking at this, sounds great on paper, awful in practice. I can even get past the HUGE size of it, but it does not function like any other universal remote I have had, bluetooth, qwerty or not.

Yes, plex works with hulu+. You will need to setup the plex media server on a computer somewhere, ideally on the same network.

OK, I’m going to build an HTPC. The one in the Lifehacker article looks good, though I noticed a couple of items he has listed aren’t available, like the low profile cooler, and I will need to figure out which remote to use (this will be very important, as this needs to be very simple for my wife to use and she likes simple intuitive interfaces.)

Downloaded XBMC, will be running Windows 7, any tips on what downloads to get, skin to use, etc?