Suicide Squad - The Joker, Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Boomerang walk into a bar

It’s good news every time it’s announced that Will Smith is not in a movie.

It should be a go-to announcement whenever a movie needs to build up hype: “Will Smith will not be in Godzilla, King of the Monsters”. “Will Smith will not be in Avengers End Game”. No wonder those movies look so good! It’s the no Will Smith effect.

Ha, clearly I was not alone in thinking: so what? His Deadshot was pretty much “hey I’m Will Smith in a helmet,” nothing approaching what Simone did with him in her Secret Six runs.

Even in MIB Will Smith was basically the boat anchor trailing behing Tommy Lee Jones. Most of his contribution to the film was acting confused and getting beaten up.

C’mon. Will Smith was pretty good as the half-orc in Bright.

And it’s like people forgot he did a good job with the credits rap for Moonlight.

Well it didnt take them long to replace Willie. Its being reported that they are in talks with Idris Elba for the role of Deadshot. Im not a Will Smith hater but damn, talk about getting an upgrade!

Ugh, Elba was smart enough to stay clear of the Pacific Rim sequel but is going to get in bed with this crap? Do you want to be James Bond? Because this isn’t how you get to be James Bond.

No 2? No subtitle? Are they… rebooting this?

Also, uh, in for Taika Waititi, Peter Capaldi, and Nathan Fillion, but out for it being a sequel to Suicide Squad. If it is.

Plenty of returning cast, not a reboot.

I couldn’t stay awake through the end of the first one, so I don’t know what happened to Jared Leto’s Joker character. His interpretation of the Joker, as has been observed many times, was unorthodox in unimpressive ways. That said, I suddenly very much would like to see Pete Davidson’s impression of Jared Leto’s Joker. Maybe he’d find the spark that would finally make that version of the Joker make sense.

I don’t see Will Smith. Must be a reboot.

Word has it Deadshot is off looking for Xenu.

Oh my god, I just noticed Jai Courtney is in that sea of names. The most worthless actor in existence. And yet, the first Suicide Squad was his least objectionable role.

On the other hand, didn’t he die in the first movie?

I saw an older article that said it totally wasn’t a reboot, but this article: https://ew.com/movies/2019/09/13/suicide-squad-james-gunn-full-cast/ says it IS a reboot.

I read a while ago that Will Smith wouldn’t be in this one so that’s no surprise to me.

Other than Will Smith, who isn’t returning?

Noticing neither Karen Fukuhara (Katana) nor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc) are on that list, although the characters could have been recast.

The Suicide Squad isn’t a fixed team so it’s entirely possible it’s neither a reboot nor a direct sequel but is in the same overall continuity with a different team loadout.

Quoting that EW article:

Despite some returning characters, producer Peter Safran has said the film, which is also written by Gunn, “is a total reboot” and not a sequel. “It’s everything you would hope from a James Gunn script, and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot,” he said.

So I mean, I hear what this guy’s saying. I just don’t actually believe him. Sounds like spin to distance themselves from the critical pounding the first one took.

This will totally be in continuity with the first movie. That’s my bet. I mean, if you’re truly rebooting it, maybe you still keep Margot around if you can talk her into it for star power. But you don’t bring back Jai Courtney if you’ve got such a good excuse not to.