Summer 2018 Shows

Its that time. The Summer shows are starting to trickle out .

I’m recording Cloak and Dagger tonight.

Any other new shows people are excited about?

Haven’t watched it yet, but I am recording it! Hope it fills my Person of Interest tv show void.

This remindeds me of that JLO movie, the Cell.

This appears to actually be starting tomorrow, at least according to what I found when I went to set up a recording for it.

Though I have only seen the first half of the first episode, Succession seems promising.

I have been crossing my fingers that someone would turn George Pendle’s biography of Jack Parsons, “Strange Angel”, into a movie ever since the book was published.

Turns out Ridley Scott is turning it into a TV series, and it is coming out this month! Great! Strike one, though, it is on that CBS streaming thing on which I couldn’t even be bothered to watch that gorgeous new Star Trek series. Strike two, looks like it got some tepid reviews already.

It can’t be easy to make a show about a guy who was a homebrew rocket scientist, a founder of JPL, a free love enthusiast decades before the Summer of Love, a Golden Age of Science Fiction fan, and a practitioner of what he believed was Black Magick. I hope this version winds up being worth watching.

People are excited about summer replacement shows?

I guess I’m a little fascinated to see which one of these things pulls a 0.0…

I tend to agree but The Last ship was very watchable the first season, and became a guilty pleasure thereafter! :)

Human and Preacher have also been fun summer distractions! :)

I watched the first two episodes of Reverie on Hulu today. It looks to me as if someone at NBC said, “Hey we have lots of success with giving people all the feels with This is Us, how can we do that with a sci-fi twist?” Doesn’t seem bad, necessarily, but it seems to me that they’re caught between two viewer groups. The sci-fi folks will be looking for more technology-driven stories (as opposed to the character-driven) and the “give me the feels” folks won’t get much from the sci-fi aspects. But maybe there’s more of an overlap between the two than I think and it’ll be a sleeper hit.

Just gotta say I am still enjoying Elementary. I think it’s on its last legs or something, but I never lost interest.

Agreed. I really like the characters a lot, and the mysteries have always been fun.

Ditto. l’ve got a low bar for television though.

Yeah, I’m curious if the network is just burning Elementary episodes at this point, or if they’re going to do another summer of them. I fell off a few seasons ago, but enjoyed it.

Also, I’m told by people whom I trust that I shouldn’t be at all dismissive of Cloak & Dagger, so I probably will check that out.

Jack Flak!

Cloak and dagger was solid. Better than The Gifted and Inhumans.

I resemble this remark. The stuff this season and last with Sherlock’s illness has been pretty interesting, really hits the character where he lives.

I was worried they were going to do a CSI or a Criminal Minds thing where they introduce something like this to a main character and then just… let it drop or go too far, but this approach seems to keep pace with the show.

I know it’s not a high profile show but I feel it’s been solid most its life so I hope it keeps going.

Elementary: The new story beat they were developing and that they just cracked wide open this last episode is really cool. I love how they are giving Sherlock a real handicap, especially one that isn’t the “drugs!” bugbear, while simultaneously adding a compelling villain. I’ve been happy with this season overall.

Also, I’m constantly surprised (for lack of a better word) that they can consistently avoid the really stupid stuff that plagues other mystery/crime procedurals. i.e. No “they’ve hidden the password in the video game on the last level!” and shit like that.

I just enjoy all the current Sherlocks so much, Elementary, BBC and Downey Jr’s which I hear is getting another. I just think they’re all unique and enjoyable in different ways although this one seems to be the most at risk for cancellation.

I’ve been watching a show on Youtube red called Impulse. First thing to know, it’s a real tv show. Really surprised me, but it would fit in anywhere. The show was developed by Doug Liman, who has done things like the Bourne Identity and Jumper. Jumper is important because this is set in that world but doesn’t seem to relate to the movie at all. Other thing worth knowing, it’s very much a show about sexual assault. If I had known that ahead of time I may not have watched it, so buyer beware. That being said, they handle it really well.