Sunless Sea - Kickstarted! From the creators of Fallen London

No one wants to see a picture of your dinghy launch.

Whatever dude, I got you down for doubles.

I’ve watched a couple Let’s Plays on this and it seemed that the world was static. By that I mean even though I watched two different YouTubers, in both games they went to island 1 and did quest X, then to island 2 and did quest Y, and so forth… now I didn’t see much (did not want to spoil too much of the game) but what I saw went like that.

I have heard there’s sort of a “main storyline” and I would assume that’s static. But what about other aspects of the game like the world and more minor quests? Are they static or is there some dyanmism there?

Even though the world seems really funky and interesting, I wonder if the novelty will wear off if everything is the same from game to game. So please edumacate me!

10/10 from Eurogamer

I’ve watched a couple Let’s Plays on this and it seemed that the world was static. By that I mean even though I watched two different YouTubers, in both games they went to island 1 and did quest X, then to island 2 and did quest Y, and so forth… now I didn’t see much (did not want to spoil too much of the game) but what I saw went like that.

In (most of) the Early Access period, the map was static. In the final release it’s randomly generated, except for certain fixed points. Even with the static map, the actual progress of a given run-through would vary considerably based on the outcomes of various dice rolls and the choices you make, though the early stages were fairly standard (and a bit grindy).

I read this thread, glanced at some videos and read the steam description and I don’t get it… is this similiar to a roguelike?

Somewhat, yes. You’re definitely trying to last as long as you can, acquiring better gear and improving your crew, before you run out of fuel or supplies or the madness gets you. Then you start again with a new captain and a new map. But, as a Failbetter game, it’s much more narrative driven than your usual roguelike - much of the game consists of progressing through “storylets”, little chunks of choose-your-own-adventure narratives with skill checks and item prerequisites. There’s also trading, real-time exploration and ship combat.

If you’ve played Fallen London or any of Failbetter’s other games, large parts of Sunless Sea are like that, but the rest of it is much more traditionally gamey.

It’s also way less random than other roguelikes. The main randomization is on the map, but most of the elements in each map chunk are indeed not randomized. I think I would love the game as much with a static map, something that it’s definitely not the case with roguelikes.

It’s a rougelike in that you’re expected to die, but that’s it, really. You (can) pass some of your stuff and your chart (the world map) on to your next captain so there’s some continuity. But the game isn’t about the moment-to-moment tactical considerations a roguelike is. It’s about, as said above, stories.

Okay that review made this sound incredible. Anyone here playing the release version yet? Impressions please!

Hehe from the Eurogamer comments; “Nautical, but nice”

Releases at 5:30 GMT (which is 12:30 EST).

I didn’t budget for this, or even know anything about it, but I will ask the lady-boss if it’s cool for me to bite. It’s only $19 (I can probably get that down to $16 if I sell some cards) after all. I almost regret picking up Darkest Dungeon over this, as THIS is complete and I can play with impunity while Darkest Dungeon I put 4 hours into and want to hold off, despite a strong urge to KEEP PLAYING. Maybe if I have this and Elite to play this weekend I won’t dive into Pillars of Eternity (which got another update a few days ago) and Darkest Dungeon.

The Eurogamer review was a treat, the reviewer was obviously incredibly into the game, and I really dig the visuals and the vibe. I never played Fallen London though, is that going to be a problem? I also see there is the same resource type system in play that the Dragon Age Inquisition web game had, and that game was kinda annoying after awhile (not necessarily because of the resources) and I know it’s the same developers. Kinda worries me a bit. Or it did, until I read that Eurogamer review. That guys joy was infectious.

The Eurogamer review was a treat, the reviewer was obviously incredibly into the game, and I really dig the visuals and the vibe. I never played Fallen London though, is that going to be a problem?

Not a problem.There’s overlap in the lore, but it doesn’t assume any knowledge. Or rather, you won’t be missing out on anything through unfamiliarity. Half the fun is discovering the weird and wonderful denizens of the Unterzee.

Honestly, I’ve soured pretty thoroughly on Fallen London: the ridiculous grind, the action-limiting mechanics, the fact that a lot of the stories are unfinished, that it’s just a game of skill-checks and generic resource refinement instead of emotion and plot, the constant teasers of pay-to-play content, etc. Fallen London is a great world though, and there are some awesome writers at Failbetter. I’m really hoping the pay-once model of Sunless Sea allows them to shine.

Thanks for the info Ginger, exactly what I was hoping to read.

And this is exactly what I was thinking when I referenced the DA:I web game, as well. I’m only really looking at this BECAUSE I can pay $19 for it and be fairly well-assured that (aside from future DLC, which is always welcome in a game that benefits from an injection of more content like this) this is a complete experience out of the gate. It sure sounds like it.

I e-mailed my wife to ask if I could get it, she finally replied back with “What should we do for supper tonight?” so I think I’m being trolled. Dammit!

I feel nearly the same as Giaddon about Fallen London. I loved it for a week or two, but then quickly tired of the timers and grind. I realize that if I injected some money into the game that would ease the timers and limitations, but I don’t think that would fully address my core complaint. I thought the writing was fantastic and the worldbuilding was very evocative and rich, but I hated the fragmented and occasionally repetitive nature of it. I started thinking that I would rather go read a novel (perhaps China Miéville’s Perdido Street Station ) where I could enjoy quality writing without having to experience it in a staccato pattern with lots of little annoying gameplay interruptions. I hope that Sunless Sea delivers a smoother, better paced experience.

-Todd

I feel nearly the same as Giaddon about Fallen London. I loved it for a week or two, but then quickly tired of the timers and grind. I realize that if I injected some money into the game that would ease the timers and limitations, but I don’t think that would fully address my core complaint. I thought the writing was fantastic and the worldbuilding was very evocative and rich, but I hated the fragmented and occasionally repetitive nature of it. I started thinking that I would rather go read a novel (perhaps China Miéville’s Perdido Street Station ) where I could enjoy quality writing without having to experience it in a staccato pattern with lots of little annoying gameplay interruptions. I hope that Sunless Sea delivers a smoother, better paced experience.

During the SS beta it was still surprisingly grindy, at least early on, but a) I think they’ve rebalanced the economy a fair bit, and b) it’s different from Fallen London, because the “downtime” is actually gameplay, rather than waiting.

Yeah, from what I’ve seen so far, I won’t be playing with permadeath. I don’t need mo’ grind. We’ll sea (ho ho!).

You really nailed it - that’s exactly how I felt about Fallen London, and exactly why I think (hope?) Sunless Sea will be an improvement.

Ow! I don’t mean to be salty, but that was terrible!