Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac's game for Xbox One)

I have to admit, I didn’t think much of this game at the initial announcement, but this first gameplay trailer actually looks pretty cool:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive-gets-first-gameplay-trailer-the-exclusive-you-ve-been-waiting-for/1100-6419512/

The traversal reminds me of Jet Set Radio Future. The weapons remind me of Ratchet & Clank. And the zombies remind me of Left 4 Dead. That is a weird combination. If done right, it could be magic. But it could also be a complete dud. The last few seconds of the trailer looked pretty cool though, when they finally show scenes from a level other than that first level.

EDIT: Ad-less youtube link to the trailer. Thanks JD.

Looks cool, but it’s a bit hard to tell how the aiming works from the video. Is it giving you some kind of auto-aim or lock on while grinding? There’s no reticle evident even when on foot.

Here’s the ad-less Youtube version of the video straight from Microsoft in case someone prefers to go the other route.

It looks a lot more interesting than the original reveal, that’s for sure. It’s only for XBONE, right? That’s too bad.

Curious about it. I always love those games most that come out of no where and land surprisingly well. Maybe this will do that. Or it could be a jumbled mess.

It looks like a really stylized, hyper version of Dead Rising to me. But I can also see the things you point out. =)

I will say that I hate the name. “Sunset Overdrive” always makes me think of a racing game. Something with convertibles and beaches instead of a zombie infused Jet Set Radio.

Agreed. Specifically, it makes me think of a racing game with box art featuring some surfer dude, driving a pink convertible with a supercharged engine and neon under carriage lighting.

Huh. I thought it sounded like a weird Japanese Techno-Western. But racing games makes sense too.

Microsoft was smart to let Insomniac keep the IP to lure a longtime Sony developer to the Xbox side.

If this controls well, it could be great. If it doesn’t… Total disaster.

I also hear the team that scores the most points wins the football game.

Well, this has my attention.

Reviews are out. Pretty positive all around. I read Polygon, Joystiq, Destructoid, Eurogamer and Kotaku this morning. The Kotaku one is the most negative, where the reviewer was really annoyed by the tone and humor of the game, but she was still charmed by the actual gameplay to make up for it.

I’ve seen the TV ads in passing, but I’ve skimmed past them on the DVR. My impression was very negative just because of the look, but the reviews make it sound pretty good, and hey, it’s Insomniac. I’m a huge Ratchet & Clank fan.

Really happy to see this getting critical acclaim, even though I don’t own an Xbox One. It makes me want an xbox one.

Through Xbox Rewards, they are offering essentially a $15 Xbox Live credit if you preorder and get the game from the Microsoft Store. What’s annoying about that is that I don’t want to get a game like this on disc, I want the digital version that I can fire up anytime. But the idea of paying a essentially a $15 premium for the digital version doesn’t sit well with me. Besides which I’m feeling particularly spent on my gaming budget already having recently bought a few games at full price (Horizon 2, Halo Collection preorder, Destiny, Diablo 3 Ultimate, etc).

The game sounds really cool though. I’m still getting a pretty nice Jet Set Radio Future vibe from it, which was my favorite game during the Xbox/Ps2/Dreamcast era of games.

Great, got it on order and should get it from Amazon tomorrow hopefully.

— Alan

I admit it. I laughed at the symbol on the outhouses.

I had a weird issue last night while playing this: I was in the mission with the preppy kid where you let loose the train, and while I was fighting off OD, the framerate dropped down to about a frame per 30 seconds. The music kept going fine, and I could eventually get into the menus (which worked without a hitch as well, including looking at weapon tutorial videos). It went back to normal after about 15 minutes.

Anyone else run into this?