SupCom: The How-To thread

old_Economy: mass: 1680 (+0), energy: 18000 (+0), build time: 3600
new_Economy: mass: 2100 (+0), energy: 22500 (+0), build time: 4500
old_Heavy Plasma Cannon1 (Direct Fire, Normal): 180.40 (damage per second)
new_Heavy Plasma Cannon1 (Direct Fire, Normal): 242.00 (damage per second)
old_Heavy Plasma Cannon2 (Direct Fire, Normal): 242.00 (damage per second)
new_Heavy Plasma Cannon2 (Direct Fire, Normal): 242.00 (damage per second)

Uncle Larry you hyperbolic bullshitter you.

Broadswords = Brawlers

Broadswords like Brawlers slow down and hover around the target they fire upon. I’m willing to bet 50 of them will be blasted out of the sky in under a couple seconds with my standard run of the mill tech3 AA array and legacy tech1 and 2 AA hanging around.

The argument that building AA is to turtle is a stupid one. If you don’t build AA you deserve to lose if your opponent attacks you with air, flat out. Double for tech3 air.

Cut it out with all the cluttering, PAL >:(

The official patch notes said the Broadsword was increased in cost and decreased in damage, and I was told both were done in 25% increments. As far as the cost goes that appears accurate. I think you (or your source) have those damage numbers mixed up, it should be:

old: 

242 + 242 = 484 

New: 

180.4 + 242 = 422.4 

So build time increased by 25%, cost increased by 25 %, damage reduced by 13%. I’m all mathed out, so I’m going to go ahead and round that to about half as good as it used to be. Or “basically half” as per forum standards.

:(

Broadswords = Brawlers

It sucks being a noob, I had to Google this. Brawlers are from TA(Total Annihilation), for the rest of you.

Broadswords like Brawlers slow down and hover around the target they fire upon. I’m willing to bet 50 of them will be blasted out of the sky in under a couple seconds with my standard run of the mill tech3 AA array and legacy tech1 and 2 AA hanging around.

I’m at a bit of a disadvantage here - I’m not really sure what you consider “standard”, but I think it’s probably a lot. 50 Broadswords? Your running the fuck out of that mill, if my beta experience means anything. Actually, I think it’s been demonstrated in some forum posts that I actually didn’t see that shit work, so I guess nevermind.

The argument that building AA is to turtle is a stupid one. If you don’t build AA you deserve to lose if your opponent attacks you with air, flat out. Double for tech3 air.

Yeah, remember when I said that building AA means you’re a turtle? I’ve learned a lot since then, just give me a chance :(

Before the changes to the Broadswords I could build 20 of them and take out a commander at will. (Shields and AA would not help in time) Yes the Broadswords would die but since the stupid AA focuses on a single plane at a time they all generally hit the 1st they see so the other 19 are taking out the commander/T4/Artillery. By the time the shields are down I would be down to around 15 Broadswords. Then start to work on the commander. Maybe I would only have 1 or 2 left but by the end the commander goes boom.

(Or whatever I wanted to hit. I did not use Broadswords against commanders generally because it was a cheap win. But against a T3/T4 artillery ?? heck yeah)

I would love to see someone try and take out my Commander with 20 broadswords, let alone 50.

stupid AA focuses on a single plane at a time they all generally hit the 1st they see so the other 19 are taking out the commander/T4/Artillery.

Sorry, can’t picture this happening. If Broadswords are focusing on a single target for maximum damage, and AA is auto targeting any aircraft automatically, it will take seconds for a well spread AA to drop 20 broadswords. There will be less AA turrets than Broadswords.

Case in point: In the last Cybran Campaign mission, UEF attacked with 10 broadswords mixed with 30 something bombers/other planes. They were all knocked down in under 3 seconds with well under 10 tech3 AA turrets, since I only set up 10 total and they only attacked one part of my base which actually had less AA coverage.

Pre-nerfing you would be a gonner.

If you want to see how T3 AA works. take a single figher and fly it over anothers base… just straight through. Then take the rest of your force and follow at a short distance. all AA will focus on the first target… leaving everything else free to attack at will.

The one and only way I can see Broadswords becoming a viable game ending air threat is if their health was increased signifcantly. The damage they deal is null if they’re all shot down, which they easily are.

If you want to see how T3 AA works. take a single figher and fly it over anothers base… just straight through. Then take the rest of your force and follow at a short distance. all AA will focus on the first target… leaving everything else free to attack at will.

Yeah because AA shoots very slow…in the whole quarter second it takes to destroy the first plane…my shields, factories, and commander are dead via broadsword assault… You’d want to send a signifcantly larger decoy force to try and divert the damage away from the following broadswords. Buy a second or two.

Was playing the game today, and I noticed that building a factory near an extractor give you a bonus as well, does anyone know what?

Broadswords have 422 hitpoints and the best T3 AA does 144 damage per second.

By the time you have a decent number of broadswords, I’ll have a ring of at least 10 T3 AA around my base. Since I usually make tight bases and T3 AA has a very long range, let’s assume I have 7-8 in range. That means I’m killing 2 or more broadswords every second. That’s also not counting the T2 AA, which is pretty effective as well, and all the mobile AA I’ll have sitting around my base waiting for my next assault force.

Surround a T3 Fab with Mass Storage to make it fabricate more mass.