Super Mario 3D World: too small to fail

Title Super Mario 3D World: too small to fail
Author Tom Chick and Scott Dobrosielsky
Posted in Game diaries
When December 13, 2013

Tom: Love the driveable ice skate! Just when you're on the verge of saying, "okay, enough with the damn ice", the ice skate comes along and you're a little sad there isn't actually more ice..

Read the full article

I dunno guys, the last 3 Mario games I played (NSMB, Galaxy, SM3DL) I always had a huge surplus of lives for the entire game, especially for the main game path.

Ah, ,yes...the "Cheating Suit" as I like to call it. I can't lie, I've used it a few times and on Super Mario 3D Land as well.
The sea monster stuff is really fun with a group. The day after Thanksgiving, I was playing with my four year old son and our cousins Ed and Eddie (40 and 6, respectively). It was hilarious, it took us like 20 minutes to get through that...because EVERYBODY controls it. I have no idea how the game decides which way to go if two are pushing left and two are pushing right. So it was like this struggle, everybody yelling directions and trying to veer off at the last second to avoid a fail.
With one player, that stuff is kind of neither here nor there.
The train was the point at which I realized that I liked this game better than Galaxy.

The drawback for using the "Invulnerability Suit" is that you a receive a score of zero for any stage completed therewith.

Using the suit has other implications. I hear through the grapevine that when you complete a playthrough of Mario 3D World, you get an indicator on your save file. Just a little token of your achievement. The dirty little secret, though, is that if you've availed yourself of the "Invulnerability Suit" to complete any stage, that indicator will be a normal, run-of-the-mill green star.

By contrast, if you've completed the game like a champ (i.e., sans cheating), your save file will be emblazoned with a SHINY green star as a token of your badassitude. It's not much, but I think that's pretty neat.

I also tried some multiplayer the other day - it was an absolute blast. I don't want to spoil it, but I will say that if you can press someone into service for local multiplayer, you won't be disappointed.

Corrections:
"Confederate State[s] of America"
"So you best get more lives[,] Mr. Chick."

Unfortunately, lives and thus coins and everything are meaningless. If you run out you just start over from your last save with the requisite 3 or 5 lives, I can't remember. When I played I went after everything as a reflex, but when I watched my nephew play he ran past everything that wasn't in his immediate path. It was strange seeing some one play Mario, not giving a fuck about coins.