Super Mario Odyssey - ♬★ Jump Up, Super Star! ★♬

I never mentioned moons I was unable to get in my complaint because I haven’t come across any that were obviously impossible (though it’s disappointing if you say there are a couple, and the round flower beds are a much bigger pain than they should be). It’s more the game saying “hey, here’s this cool thing you can do!” and then not letting me do it. Like in the final kingdom transform sequence; it’d be cool if I could breathe fire! But apparently that’s locked behind detached JoyCon mode.

This is the flagship game for a console where the “gimmick” is that you can play it wherever you want, so I was a bit disappointed that didn’t mean I could have the same experience in handheld mode as someone in tabletop or docked mode.

I’m not sure if any are impossible necessarily, and most, if not all, of them I came across were while playing detached where it was just easier to do the move than try to figure out if I could do it another way.

It’s a fair criticism and I’m sorry to hear that it is ruining the game for you. Personally, I just pretend those moves don’t exist until I really need them. The detached-only moves are an awkward and unnecessary design choice at best, but I can’t empathize with the feeling that not having access to them makes the game not fun. There’s just too much other cool stuff packed into this game.

You can do the spin move by making Mario spin first with the control stick rotation then throwing the hat.

I’m 700 moons in at this point and I’ve only come across a handful of moons that go from annoying to easy with the use of motion controls. The most egregious of which is a specific musical note moon that is impossible to do without stringing a bunch of hat spins together in a very short amount of time.

At the end of the day its like people who say they can’t play breath of the wild because of the motion shrines. Yea I get it, they suck, but they are wholly optional unless you are going for 100% and make up a tiny amount of the game.

(By the way Nintendo, if you notice, in your two biggest games of the year the biggest complaints seem to be on shoehorned motion controls that make up .001% of what the game has to offer. Stop it. Motion control for motion control’s sake take away from your games.)

but just like you mentioned - it’s optional. It’s for those that have completed everything else and they want the 100% completion. Nintendo is giving them a challenge to do just that. And even with that if it’s too much of a PITA they can just buy the moons. (I not there yet - but I’m assuming that when you buy a moon from a shop if gives you random moons from the zone your in??)

There’s one from each shop that contributes to the moon list for each kingdom. After that you’re just adding to the overall total when you buy more, it doesn’t matter where they come from. A moon’s a moon.

Yeah, there’s really no reason to buy more than 1 moon from each kingdom.

Um, so if you get the Peach and Mario amiibos, you can basically give yourself a 3-up or invulnerability any time you want in the game? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yeah, lookin to get yourself a couple? ;)

PTW!!! FTW :)
when my 8 year old saw a (kid) streamer do this, he was totally on board with the idea… saved up some money doing little chores and was excited to pick up Peach!

While watching me play and having difficulty with some area, he was like… “Hey dad, hold up… here you go…” as he wiped out the Peach and hooked me up on my next go with 6 life!!!

Huh. That might allow me to finish the final moon level.

Oh my gosh Bowser has unique text for each Mario outfit in the end sequence…

Wait, you fight Bowser at the end of the game? Spoiler! :-P

A guy I support on Patreon just posted up a terrific gypsy jazz version of Jump Up, Super Star! on his channel:

Fantastic! You can really hear the “Mario” style to that song when it’s performed that way. Super!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! My girlfriend can’t stand the actual song because she finds the vocals excruciatingly cheesy but this version opened her ears to the melody. It’s a lovely tune! I love the underground theme sneaking in at 1:50.

Picked up a copy of this today, finally. I wasn’t at all sure I was going to like it. Outside the rpgs on DS, the most I’d ever played of any Mario game was probably galaxy, and I didn’t get very far in that.

So far, though, I’m really enjoying this one. I’m up to the early stages of the third area (sand kingdom?). This is the first area that felt a bit harried in spots (with the bullet bills and such) but not too bad. Decent amount of exploration and lots of experimentation and environmental interaction.

It could be the areas wind up getting so big I no longer enjoy them, but maybe since those larger areas have lots of self-contained bits within them it won’t be so bad.

I finally starting giving this a try. I bought in months ago, primarily for my son to play. He actually stopped playing it in the desert world. He got stuck on something and just put it down. I may need to see where he is at. Maybe he thinks he needs to get everything on a level to move on.

This is my first Mario game, other than one in the arcade in the 1980s. I just finished up the The Hole in the Desert. So far I’ve been exploring things I notice and things that look like they might have something. I haven’t revisited any worlds after beating the bosses. That is actually why I came to the thread. After The Hole in the Desert, it was obvious the world had changed and there was more to do.

It seems like the consensus is to move on through the story, so that is probably what I’ll do.

I have some mixed feelings about the game. The worlds are attractive and have some areas that feel good to find and beat the challenges of. The exploration can be rewarding, along with some of the platforming sequences. There is also some tedium involved - should I really throw my hat at so many things just to get some coins? Some of the content is pretty easy. The controls seems awkward and not as tight as in Hollow Knight.

I find the story, dialog and spinning in joy that occurs actively annoying - but I can deal with that. So far the game is fun enough to keep going and even if I fail something usually it only takes a handful of tries. I think the hardest was driving that reptile thing while collecting the music notes. Also there has been some nice variety to the challenges.

Edit: There is someone offering to sell me hints (for moon locations I think). Is that recommended, or is it more fun to just find the things? Not sure if the designer intends that people need the hints or not. I typically don’t feel the need to 100% games.

Yeah, for me the desert world was the honeymoon period because it was all fresh and exciting with lots of new things to do and discover (my girlfriend even watched me for a couple of hours and she finds Mario more irritating than me) but with each new world I found the content getting more and more repetitive and familiar. And while it’s technically a great looking game, aesthetically I thought it was really ugly in places (New Donk particularly). I enjoyed it overall but I much preferred A Hat In Time which felt more madcap and consistently unpredictable.

I really liked New Donk City and I expected to hate it. The sequence when you complete that world is really something.

I should get back to this. I set it aside when some other game came out and totally forgot I had it.