Super Mario Run

I tried it and all it really did was make me wish there was a real Mario title on PS4 or Vita. After playing I kinda waned to play a full fledged Mario game, but not enough to actually own Nintendo hardware. Still it was probably one of the better iOS game I have tried.

The wording within the game makes it sound like that’s what’s happening. I saw some site reporting that to be the case, but I don’t know if that was independently verified or if they were also going on the in-game wording (which could be incorrect or confusing).

I don’t know if that means if this game is incredible or you have only played a couple of iOS games 5 years ago.

Somewhere in between. Generally I’m not into mobile or portable gaming, so I bet that if you go in for that sort of thing Mario Run is worth a go. I played it for almost 15 minutes before I got bored, deleted it, and went back to playing Division. Pretty good for an iOS game.

Something turned me (well, us, in our home) off when we were that close to succumb:
If you manage to share your Nintendo top-secret credit cards code (geeze, what’s up with that) to compete, the game seems aimed at doing “perfect” runs (the level of difficulty for the later coins is there, at least), but the hiscore chase is rigged by grinding the death counts of enemies. Killing them over and over, you can “level” them up, to get more coins from them thereafter. This destroys any purpose of trying to make perfect runs if you are playing competitively against a friend or whomever, like we are.
That mechanic, along with the boatload of various currencies and what not, leaves me with the impression this was a F2P project that was rebranded afterward as a one-time purchase by Mr. N, leaving some ghosts of paytowin elements around in the process.
Also, like @Scotch_Lufkin, I found the mutiplayer to be a very unrewarding experience.

BREAKING: Great news Android users! If you rush over to the Google Play store right this second, you can… uh… still not purchase, download, or play. But you CAN pre-register for this game so it will notify you when it goes live.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zara

Nintendo announced the Android version will launch in March.

Thank goodness the relevant bits are in English.

Great. Why buy a Switch when it releases in March when I can just placate my Mario desires with my phone. It’s not like the console itself will be offering a new Mario platforming experience for the rest of the year anyway.

And if I do get a Switch, now I’ll be spending so much time on my phone in Nintendo party chat and matchmaking it’ll be convenient to play some Mario without even putting my primary device down.

Because Super Mario Run kinda sucks.

If it doesn’t scratch your mobile platforming itch, try Rayman Adventures. It does a fantastic job for what it is.

This came out for Android yesterday.

So far I’m enjoying it. One big caveat though: it drains batteries on my Nexus 6p like no other game I’ve played.

Still, I like the first level a lot. I played it yesterday and only got 2 pink coins. Today I replayed it about 5 times until I finally got all the pink coins. Now I can move onto level 1-2 tomorrow. It feels good to play a Mario game again. It’s been so long since I played Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii.

• About 5% of people hitting the paywall went on to purchase the full game.
  • iOS sales performance was “below expectations”
  • Fire Emblem Heroes is their biggest sales success on mobile so far
  • They still don’t want to go fully to f2p for their icon brands like Mario

[quote]
“‘Heroes’ is an outlier,” a senior company official said. “We honestly prefer the ‘Super Mario Run’ model.”[/quote]

I honestly wish I could pay the $10 for the game now, but there’s no obvious way to do so.

Eventually I’m sure I’ll hit the paywall and be able to buy it. I’m just surprised that still hasn’t been presented to me as an option even though I’ve played the game twice on two different days. It’s quite the restraint for a mobile game, especially.

I know I’m being over-critical, but the jump & ledge flip/climb animation and general Mario movement looks and feels too different from genuine 2d Mario console entries. The jumping physics in this game fall into a sort of Uncanny-Mario-Valley for me and it hurts the experience.

Rayman Adventures absolutely nailed the experience when compared to its console counterparts, and I was hoping Mario would do the same.

I’m glad the game exists, but I doubt I’ll progress past the paywall.

I got all the pink coins on World 1. Yay! I’m really liking it. As someone who has never enjoyed playing a 2D Mario game before, I’m really surprised at how much I’m enjoying this.

There’s a big button labeled “Purchase Screen” at the bottom of tour mode.

The fact that they capped the number of tickets you can get at 99 is driving me crazy. Everyday I log in and do my little round of activities. One level from the campaign, one level from the rally, check the gifts, check the ? box, play the bonus game and get some tickets. But during the last week, all those tickets have been worthless since I can’t go over 99 tickets. Not that I know what tickets are for, necessarily, but still, if you’re going to design a reward system with two kinds of rewards, why cap one of them so low?

The fact that it was tied to Nintendo ID rather than AppleID stopped me. I want to buy it once and share it on my phone and iPad, and use family sharing, like I do every other app I have. I wasn’t sure how this game worked with regards to the license, so I didn’t buy it.

I got all the pink coins a while ago. But yesterday I got all the purple coins on all the levels as well. Which leaves the black coins. So far I only have the black coins on the first two levels. Here is where the game gets really tricky. I love this progression. Do other Mario games have this kind of progression?

This is by far the favorite 2D Mario game I’ve played as a result of these objectives. I always felt it was stupid to play through a level in NES and SNES Mario games. It was fairly easy just to get through a level. And yet, it was really hard to get through it while also maintaining a high count on coins. But there seemed to be no reason to get a lot of coins.

With Super Mario Run, your leaderboard of friends compares your coins on a level to others, so there’s that incentive. But the real genius is that the point of a level at first might just be to get to the end, like those early Mario games, but the REAL point of the level is to get all the pink coins. And then to get all the purple coins, and then to get all the black coins. So you go through the same level, but have to play very differently, with different degrees of difficulty.