Super Metroid hit VC today

Zelda peaked with Link’s Awakening!

Classic Super Metroid commercial

I’ll say a qualified yes, in that you should play Metroid: Zero Mission, the excellent GBA remake of the NES classic. At this point, the original just isn’t worth it.

This is what drove me to the classic controller. Super Mario World, for example, puts the run button too far from the jump button to use your thumb to do both, a necessity to play the game. Overall, it’s probably a good investment given the nice set of VC games out there, but it is still a pretty forced investment if you want to play games properly.

I can hardly believe that there are gamers who haven’t played Super Metroid, but that’s only because it has a special place in my heart, because it was the first SNES game that I played. I had the Japanese version of the game, which meant that I couldn’t read the manual so I had absolutely no idea about the game before playing it. I think it was the best way for me to be introduced to a game that still stands today as a classic adventure game that is engaging and challenging. The exploration is non-linear but the discovery of items and areas is as finely crafted as any scripted seqeunce you’d come across today.

Second best.

Best: Uniracers

Just to comment on the Classic Controller…

For SNES, Genesis, NES, and TG-16 games, it’s a really solid if not exceptional choice to experience those games. Great d-pad, nice springy buttons.

For the N64 stuff however…grab a GC controller. I -hate- the sticks on the Classic Controller. Every N64 game I’ve tried it with has been frustrating and uncomfortable using it.

Oh and it does blow having it tethered to the Wiimote, but that is a whole other issue.

Another vote for Super Metroid, last week I replayed fusion and zero mission and I’m planning on replaying Super Metroid once I’m done with Bioshock. I perfer the 2d metroids over the console ones.

Also about the original metroid, if you buy zero mission you can unlock the original metroid with it.

I haven’t played it in a long time, but it’s still my favorite game evar. Simply, by far, the best work Nintendo has ever done.

Are you joking or something?

He’s probably like me - didn’t hit the consoles until the N64/PS generation. Until then I gamed exclusively on an Amiga 500, and a PC.

Uniracers was amazing, but it takes #2 to Super Metroid in my book.

Uniracers? GTFO. Reported

Uniracers was pretty awesome. Certainly better than Super Metroid (but then again, what isn’t?). But no, the correct answer for best Nintendo-published game is, of course, Kirby Air Ride.

Yeah, the original Metroid is just painfully hard and not exactly very rewarding for the effort involved. Zero Mission is awesome, though.

and unlike, some of the CVtroids, the areas are distinct enough for a kid to hold the entire map in his head easily.

The original is great too, but they really really did a nice job superfying super. I bought sooo many shit SNES sequels tp NEs titles after s.metroid just because it had super in the name, expecting the same fantastic re-working of the core game. :(

Goddamn I wish there had been a super icarus. Any we’d get now on that ip would be 3d junk.

Both Zelda and Metroid got such phenomenal sequels on the SNES, that I have no doubt that a Kid Icarus sequel would have fucking owned.

Well, Zelda and Metroid were pretty cool on NES. Kid Icarus was and is total fucking garbage. The Game Boy game was even worse (much like Metroid II, darn).

They should’ve just stopped at SOTN.

Nah the DS CV games are plenty solid, and actually draw a lot of their core mechanics from SOTN. The art direction isn’t as good, but the gameplay is there.