Super stupid Tablet questions

this is the review of the candyshell: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/speck-candyshell-wrap-for-ipad-2/

it’s a bit much at $55, but the otterbox defender is around $40 if you want another heavy duty one.

i got mine at $30 when they were foolishly clearing them out since they were marked for ‘ipad 2’ without people realizing it actually fit the 3 (with a little stretch)

needto be careful and buy the ‘for ipad2/3/new ipad’ one since there seems to be lots of ‘for orig ipad or ipad1’ stock on amazon/ebay.

sorry, it’s the candyshell wrap for ipad 2.

$30, read the reviews, it may wear down. The OtterBox Defender for iPad 3 is like $60-80!

I just spent 4 hours reading game help guides in bed. I’m loving this thing so much! I actually type better on iPad than I do my PC. Probably because I never learned how to type correctly and the keyboard screen is right below the text I’m typing.

My friend Eric wrote this:

‎Eric's Klondike Solitaire Pack on the App Store. Also, this: iPhone - Eric Snider's Spider Solitaire HD | TouchArcade - iPhone, iPad, Android Games Forum

I’m not a solitaire guy, but the addict in my family vouches for it.

Thanks Peter, I’ll grab those for Jen. They look very nice and clean - with excellent reviews.

Looks like lots of good advice already Jeff, but I’ll just add that, since you mention the possibility of a drop if you pass out, you probably want to go for a really tough case, like the Griffin Survivor. A drop would NOT be good for the iPad. The Survivor retails at a whopping $80, but can be found on Amazon for $38-43.

Yes I’d pass out and my Nintendo DS fell onto the floor more times than I care to admit. The meds are so bad, I often conk out while on the phone with people. It’s amazing my DS still works.

So the Griffin Survivor or Otterbox look like they’re be best for the hospital then?

Does the survivor leave room for one of those magnetic front covers? I think something like the survivor still leaves the front open to potential impact, so having a front cover (not the screen protector thing, but the actual apple roll-over magnetic cover type thing) is something you’d probably want to do as well.

On a side note, I’d recommend against the matte screen protector. It does indeed resist fingerprints, but I’ve found the one my wife has is pretty ugly because apparently the surfacing they use to impart the matte effect (it’s essentially a smoothly polished pebble surface, where the pebbles are microscopic) is of the right size to interact with the tiny pixels in the retina display. This lends things a “sparkly” type of look which basically makes everything look grainy and noisy from close viewing distances. It’s okay from a reasonable distance away, but from a normal use distance for reading/playing games/etc I see a lot of multichromatic “noise” as the random orientation of all those little micro-spheres or whatever they use for the matte effect basically refracts light at random and causes different colors to have higher prominance at different locations.

(It’s not an installation side effect or anything like that. It may be brand related, but who knows. I’m not going to buy another matte protector and risk it looking just as crappy.)

Actually, the Griffin Survivor has screen protection built in. It has an integral display shield (that’s rated to keep out rain at 8 inches/hour rate, so it should hold up to Jeff’s touch!), and the plastic comes out significantly from the front so that it if falls face down, the plastic will absorb the hit, not the screen. Nothing’s going to protect 100%, but it’s about as good as you can get without making the iPad absurdly unwieldy.

The Apple cover wouldn’t be a benefit here, and if Jeff passes out, he’s unlikely to to have his last conscious action being “must… flip… cover… cloooossseed…” :)

I hate that we have to account for these possibilities, Jeff, but I’m glad you’ve got an iPad to enjoy. Highly suggest Dungeon Raid for hours of enjoyment.

Oh yeah? He should get this thing: Amazon.com

It’ll protect the iPad from the most destructive force on earth: a baby! The teething rings are pure gravy.

Jeff: Saw this at American Best-Buy when I was down in Seattle: http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad2-supershell.psp?device=ipad3

Don’t forget Fairway Solitaire HD :)

So many choices. REI, I read some reviews on Amazon. The review I’m re-osting below is amzing. I can’t believe the iPad in a case can survive being thrown around the house by an Autistic child… repeatedly.

My 4-year-old daughter, who is autistic, received an iPad 2 loaded with apps this summer. To protect the iPad, I purchased an Otterbox Defender Case and Utility pack, which was recommended to me as must-have protection when my child inevitably dropped–or threw–the iPad. The Defender Case comes in three parts that interconnect with each other and the iPad, and I believe that my daughter got a lot of satisfaction from the noise and commotion it made when it hit the floor… so much so that she started throwing it when she became frustrated. We didn’t use the iPad much this summer.

But recently, I looked into iPad cases again with hopes of finding something more suitable, and the M-Edge SuperShell for iPad 2 is it! The iPad fits very securely into the shell, which feels like a super dense foam. The shell has some ridges molded into it and covers the on/off and volume buttons so that they’re protected but still usable. The back of the M-Edge SuperShell is concave so that any force when dropped is concentrated on the edges of the shell away from the iPad.

So simple. And for some reason my daughter has totally taken to the iPad housed in this shell. She can carry it around easily, and indeed she runs around with it sometimes but never drops it. Her frustration levels when learning new activities on the iPad seem much reduced–she no longer drops or throws the iPad except very, very rarely (once or twice a week maybe). And this solid iPad shell just kind of bounces slightly and stops with the iPad clearly unharmed.

With the addition of this M-Edge SuperShell, the iPad 2 has become the communication assistance and interactive learning tool for my daughter that it was given to her to be. I highly recommend this product for young iPad users.

Denny - your comment cracked me up - LOL. “Should hold up to Jeff’s touch”. I grabbed Dungeon Raid and that 1,000,000 game too. I am so much less afraid of going into the hospital now.

In case you’re still in the market for a stylus I got two sets of these. Can’t be beaten for the price.

$1 plus free shipping?! Sold!

“Your Apple account has been disabled for security reasons”

What?!

Got it fixed, apparently someone was trying to access my account and tried to change my birthdate and e-mail address. I know there’s 2 people who have the same name as me and e-mail is nearly identical with one, and he sometimes gets confused. Maybe it was him. I get his financial reports and his kids school updates all the time. Even though I keep e-mailing him to fix this it never seems to be changed.

So I’m back on!