Supergirl TV show on CBS

Went and checked to make sure my DVR has an hour…yep. Although for some reason it has the start time as 8:31 PM. What’s wrong with 8:30?

Big Bang Theory probably runs a minute over. I’ve had shows start at the 02 mark. One time I didn’t realize American Horror Story ended at a weird time but then I noticed the recording was a freakin’ 100 minutes.

Not awful, kinda fun little show. I’ll check it out for awhile. It’s not Flash or Arrow, but I never expected it to be. Mostly, it’s superhero show my daughter actually watched with me, so that’s the biggest draw so far. :)

Crammed too much in to a single episode. Pretty common for an action pilot to do though. They needed to somehow introduce the show’s dozen different plot points in to a 44 minute run time. It was fun and action-y…and Jimmy Olson is some kind of Calvin Klein super-model.

Not bad, good fights. They had a bit of manufactured drama and things went really fast. I’ll stick out a season and see where they go. Obvious prison break was obvious, evil twin is cliche. But hey, it’s comic books!

That was my primary reaction, too. You can see the potential, but everything went by so fast in this first hour that it’s hard to tell if it’s going to work. Sister relationship, buff-Jimmy vs IT nerd love triangle, Calista Flockhart bitchiness, DEO covert ops stuff, evil criminal aliens…I don’t expect all that stuff to be great, but it’s all got possibilities. And the breakneck speed means that nothing jumped out as irredeemably bad, either.

I will say that I hope they do a better job with future grudge-matches-with-aliens, as the big “let’s explode the axe-which-is-the-only-thing-that’s-ever-hurt-me six inches from my face” plan was pretty pathetic. I watch The Flash, I’m used to silly stuff being used to hand-wave away inconvenient realities, but usually they’ll at least try to stay within shouting distance of consistency.

Just watched the first episode, overall the casting is really good. I agree a bit too much happened in this first episode, then again I probably would have been just fine watching her try on outfits. :X

I got the impression from some marketing that this is for tweens - did the pilot reflect that?

Enjoyed it for the most part, though it could lose Calista Flockhart’s character and be 200% better.

Not so I noticed, but then, I may not be the best judge. I willingly watch stuff meant for all sorts of age groups.

What? Ally McBitch was one of my favorite parts! Ah, to each their own.

She was so over the top, The Joker would have told her to take it down a few notches…

I did like it, I mean, it’s not like they pulled a Smallville and waited 10 years to put her in costume. Whew.

I’m hoping the ridiculously fast pacing is gone now that they established the pilot and well, I still enjoyed it. But yes, Ms. Flockhart could be toned down. My only gripe was that it really should have been a 2 hour pilot with some character relationship/motivation/introduction building.

Otherwise I really like the young lady that plays Kara/Supergirl, think she nails what they were trying to do with the character. Bubbly but still Super.

That was better than I expected it to be. Huh.

It wasn’t bad. The lead is very likeable and fits the role, the costume is good, and the overall setup was fine. It may not have enough bite for me to keep watching, but I may give it another episode or two.

Oh, and I also really like the heat vision effects for some reason, glowing white hot eyes FTW.

Thumbs down. Found it totally uninteresting. I don’t watch much on TV these days so it’s probably me as much as anything.

My 14-year-old daughter pronounced it “pretty decent”.

I thought it was fairly silly, personally.

I agree, it was execrable. From the very first minute, when Miss Exposition explained the premise for the show in an awful monotone, it was just terrible. The writing was sophomoric and the acting didn’t elevate it one bit. I only liked a single character, Jimmy Olson, which was an inspired casting choice.

The actress playing Supergirl was incredibly attractive, though, so I’ll be watching. But if she doesn’t show her midriff once per episode, I’m out.

I actually really liked tonight’s episode, lots of fun. I think the only problem I couldn’t shake was the stakes they have set forth, while making for a good Supergirl tale, make me think that Superman himself would very much want to be intervening on this - I mean, he HAS to be very interested in another Kryptonian, even a villain, right?

The pilot crammed way too much into one hour. This second episode slowed down somewhat, but it still seems awfully eventful. They couldn’t keep Aunt Astra secret for another few weeks? Supergirl and Cat are already face to face? This feels like a mini-series where they’re trying to cram everything into six episodes. And I agree with Scott that the stakes seem really high right off the bat; you’d think they’d have dragged it out with escaped-alien-of-the-week for a while longer before everyone finds out there’s more Kryptonians around.

Having said that, it’s still a fun watch. Similar to the Flash, you have to turn off your logic centers when it comes to the superheroics. (Although I did like the broken oil tanker bit, always thought that should happen to Superman more often.) CGI is better than Flash, though…big-network budget at work. I like that they’re building up the support group behind Supergirl, although I’m pretty sure the James-Winn rivalry is going to be one of my least favorite things. Happy to see as much Alex as they want to throw at us, though. And a Maxwell Lord appearance has definite potential for future intrigue. Look out if he gets a nosebleed!

That’s actually some pretty impressive CGI for a tv show indeed. In fact, the bit where she saves the plane in the first show may actually be the best Kryptonian-saving-something-big special fx I’ve ever seen anywhere, and really good fun in a cheesy way. I like the swooping camera angles, quite a fresh take. Also the land stuff with bits of fighting and flying and stunt doubles is really well done too. The quality of the CGI bodes well for better superhero telly stuff going forward. It’s obviously getting better and better and cheaper and cheaper. Bring it on!

I also like the jaunty music and generally bright and breezy art design - again, very suited to the character and concepts. I’ve often thought that lots of these classic, Golden and Silver age heroes should be period pieces (something reflected slightly in bits of Art Deco here and there in the Flash, and some of the gothic feel of Gotham), and this has a bit of a whiff of that, and of a more optimistic America.

The acting is energetic - she’s perfect for the role. Supporting cast generally pretty good.

I don’t agree on the whole with the “superheroes are just for kids” thing, but this show really does seem to be aimed squarely at 12-14-year-olds. The dialogue is what really let’s the show down I think, it’s terribad.