Superhero *novels* worth a read

I love the superhero genre. Though I’ve found most of the superhero novels so far have been marginal to ok. However, a few exceptions and wondering if there are more…

I couldn’t put this book down! I read it pretty much in 2 days, which it has been a long time since a book consumed me like this. The aliens messing with our genetics to wipe us out, was a familiar premise, but the writing and story telling was griping for me, and the way they had the marine supermanesqe character come to life…really hit home for me.

Peter Clines Superheroes verse zombies was also a great series. I think Peter is a good writer so had to check that one out! :)

Any others?

I really enjoyed The Protectors by Trey Dowell:

And it’s only 99 cents!

I don’t know if I’d consider it technically a superhero genre, but the Mistborn series ends up in a similar neighborhood in its own weirdly awesome way.

I enjoyed this

The author also wrote several other series that I enjoy reading such as:
Web Mage
Fallen Blades

Here is a great web site to look up authors:

Kelly McCullough
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/m/kelly-mccullough/

Sanderson also wrote an explicitly superhero series: The Reckoners, which starts with Steelheart. It’s more of the “superheroes go bad” genre though.

It seems like most of the most popular internet serial fiction is superhero fiction, including Wildbow’s awesome and gigantic Worm.

I thoroughly enjoyed Max Berry’s Lexicon, which is super fun, rip-roaring superhero-ish novel.

And purchased, thanks man, it looks great.

I just read Superhuman (probably inspired by the Worm post in another thread) and also liked it quite a bit. The writing and editing are a bit rough but a pretty good treatment of superpowers and some excellent fun battles. There’s a second book, which I picked up and will probably read soon.

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is pretty good.

If the editing in book 1 bothered you, book 2 will drive you crazy. Its a fun read but its being sold as a early edit edition, and it shows.

If you enjoyed and can handle the self-pub nature of Superhuman you might like Confessions of a D-List Superhero by Jim Bernheimer, Nobody Gets the Girl by James Maxey, Wearing the Cape by Marion Harmon, the Russell’s Attic series by SL Huang and How to Succeed in Evil by Patrick McLean.

That was the one I came to recommend. I listened to the audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed it.

https://amazon.com/Super-Powereds-Year-Drew-Hayes-ebook/dp/B00BIJ05F2
Really liked this finished series and its spin off novels. Superheroes in this universe are licensed by the government and attend a university which has a very strict graduation ceremony, most never make it through and become actual superheroes. There is also a larger class of people who have powers but can’t control it, along with the villians.

My favorite. Superheroes in a very dark, damaged world that stumbles from one catastrophe to another. See QT3 thread here. As mentioned this is not a book, it’s like 11 full novels if you split it out.

Brandon Sanderson’s the Reckoners is like most of his work, good stuff. Most if not all superheroes in this series are flat out evil.

Will have to check out Superhuman next.

I listened to this as an Audio book and enjoyed it.

In case reading off a web page doesn’t work for you, just want to make sure people there is a free fan created audiobook: http://audioworm.rein-online.org/

(Starts out rough audio quality, improves a lot)