Superman - Man of Steel

I like the suit. The texture doesn’t bother me at all. It seems all movie superhero outfits have some texture nowadays. I do agree with Resputin that the texture on the shield itself is a bit much, but otherwise I think it’s an improvement on Routh’s costume. A bigger S shield and higher boots definitely look more proportional that Routh’s smaller shield and shorter boots.

I lol’d

So who’s going to be the first to 'shop Happy Leo into that picture?

Man Chris Reeve was the pimp daddy mack Superman.

On a whim, I re-watched the original Superman movie (1978 version) for the first time in probably 5 years, and it still holds up thirty years later. The special effects are dated, but Christopher Reeve really sets the bar there; I don’t know if anyone can top that, but I hope they can, or at least equal it.

Stuff I loved about the re-watch (*denotes stuff I missed the first few times):

Green (presumably Kryptonite) rocks flying out of Krypton’s explosion*

The first 45 minutes to an hour are pretty much exactly how you should tell Superman’s background. I’d be very OK with a shot-for-shot remake using improved SFX.

Clark’s Kryptoinian super-fabrics were packed in his bag when he opened it to throw the green crystal.*

They mention they’re about to test the missiles when Otis goes to pick up the paper.*

Zooey Deschanel should totally be the new Lois Lane. 20% bigger eyes, 85% less crazy.

That Lois Lane “Can you read my mind” spoken word thing needs to go-- but should be incorporated abstractly into character dialogue.

I’d pay good money to see Jackie Cooper’s Perry White and J.K. Simmons’ J. Jonah Jameson in a room together for a half an hour discussing the fundamentals of journalism.

John Ratzenberger/Cliff Claven as a missile technician*

God Damn, Valerie Perrine was hot back in the day.

Still hate how the fault line that kills Lois goes exactly as far as her car, and no further. It’s like the very Earth itself has it in for her.

I’ve known way too many stoners who believed that if you could make the Earth spin backwards, time would go backwards, too. These people need to be culled.

Yeah, to me that montage looks like a bunch of guys that played Superman on TV and in film standing next to the real Superman (Reeve).

And WTF is up with the grandpa pants on George Reeves and Kirk Alyn?

Poor John Newton and his doppelganger Gerard Christopher from the Adventures of Superboy. They are both forgotten whenever actors who played Sups are listed.

That’s because Superboy is not yet a man.

Neither was he on Smallville.

I thought Superboy was a clone.

So that obviously doesn’t count then, because clones aren’t real people.

looks fake

But he was in the final episode, so the caption limiting the image to “actors who played Superman” is still accurate.

The Superboy from the '90s was a clone. The Superboy as traditionally known is just Clark Kent as a teenager.

Everyone else can love on Christopher Reeve, but I think he generally gets all the respect he deserves. Looking at that picture I gotta say that while I thought the movie was a big bore, Brandon Routh just looks great in that suit.

Kirk Alyn looks like the Superman of Earth-2. And considering he really was portraying the Golden Age Superman at that point, it kind of works.

And, of course, even in the costume of one of the most popular superheroes of all time, Dean Cain just looks like a jagoff.

What the hell is up with that? I mean, you don’t see British icons like Sherlock Holmes played by Americans!!! Sacrilege!

I liked Cavill in the Tudors and if he doesn’t mess up the accent (like Ewan McGregor, why does he keep getting American roles?) I think he’ll do well. And besides, didn’t Marlon Brando have a pseudo-British accent in Superman anyway?

Still, what is up with the hair in this shot?

Oh, and honestly, they should have given Routh another chance. I think he was fine in the role, it was the script/story that was to blame.

Doesn’t matter. He’s got the stink of failure on him. Bringing him in will lead the zeroes at the end of the box office number to think that this is somehow related to the movie that nobody liked. He has to be replaced to get rid of that impression.

I go against the grain a bit by generally being a fan of Superman Returns (though I’d argue that a lot of the “nobody likes it” is somewhat revisionist, since it did well with critics and audience surveys at the time, and the box office was not by any means awful). I thought the leads were a bit too young, and I wish they didn’t go with the Lex Luthor real estate plot, but I guess it’s just the nostalgic homages to the '78 Superman that work for me.

For me, the Krypton & Smallville portions of '78 Superman are absolutely perfect. Just dead-on. Once he gets to Metropolis, it’s very hit-and-miss (with some big misses), though of course Reeves is consistently awesome throughout. At the time, I couldn’t wait for Superman 2.

I remember when Superman 2 opened, the critical consensus was “It’s even better”! I hated it. It was my first crushing movie disappointment.

So, for me, Superman Returns in a bit like the decent sequel to Superman that I never got. I recognize all of the issues, but it works for me at that level.

As for this one, I don’t know. I’m looking forward to a movie that hopefully doesn’t feature Lex Luthor as the primary antagonist. I’m not sold on Zack Snyder as the director. I liked 300 for what it was, but I hated Watchmen. He does some interesting visual stuff, but it all feels a bit empty. Here’s hoping…

He gets two regular-to-slow-motion-back-to-fast sequences before I fly to wherever the hell a Zack Snyder lives, reach up his butt, and turn his everything inside out. Maybe he kicked that habit in Sucker Punch - I’ve intentionally avoided that one.

Watchmen I liked a lot, have seen it 3 times since getting it on DVD.

300 I enjoyed watching in the theater but have never wanted to see it again. It was fun to watch but very shallow.

From these two it seems Snyder is a more than competent director of actors/scenes - shame his visual direction/style seem to overshadow this (for the record, I like the overall look he gets with his films but not so much the editing/frame effects). Does that make sense?

How in god’s name can you hate the movie that gave us “Kneel before Zod!”?

Should have saved your hate for Superman III.