Superman VS. Batman

Okay, you might expect this to be thread about who would win in a fight between these two characters. However, the title is actually the name of a new movie due out in '04.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=799&e=3&cid=794&u=/eo/20020709/en_movies_eo/10217

Long enough link, huh?

Anyway, they haven’t chosen actors yet, or the villains either. So, it’s all open for speculation. Now, personally I’d like to see Gene Hackman return as Lex Luthor. But that seems about as likely as Nicholson returning as Joker.

This one might be bigger than Spiderman. Which, from what I understand is now the fifth highest grossing movie of all time. Who’d have thought that?

Ender’s Game shelved again. Dag nabbit.

Oh well, if done write, without all the wink wink, nudge nudge of the last batman movies, this could be great. I’ll wait until a script is out before I start judging.

Okay, you might expect this to be thread about who would win in a fight between these two characters.

Everyone knows Batman would kick Superman’s ass. Haven’t you read The Dark Knight Returns and its sequels? Paraphrasing a line from an X-files episode, Bats is willing to do the things Superman won’t in order to win.

-DavidCPA

I’d really love it if that was a “spiffy” name of The Dark Knight Returns (which would probably be “spiffy” enough, come to think of it).

The Dark Knight Returns put a decidedly evil spin on both characters - Batman, the reluctant superhero who recognized that he was, more or less, a villan with a concience, and Superman, the reluctant government employee, who sold his soul for his freedom.

If you haven’t read it, superheros were essentially outlawed and forced into the fringes of society because of their, well, super-human nature. People didn’t like to be reminded that giants walked among them - which was, I thought, a very profound point that would likely be true if superheros really existed. Even if they only fought for truth, justice, and the American way.

It’s a very good graphic novel and I highly recommend anyone who is interested pick it up. This from someone who is not a fan of comic books in any shape or form - except, maybe, The Tick.

It would also be nice if they did the part which Superman remembers in Dark Knight Returns… “It was you who stood in Congress and laughed in their faces when accused…” etc or however it went. That’d be cool.

Batman woulndn’t have a prayer in a stand up fight. He’s simply an extremely skilled human. He doesn’t have any actual super powers. Superman can fly, shoot heat rays from his eyes and is basically invulnerable. Batman had better start building his gizmos with Kryptonite.

Batman is a Y-wing to Superman’s X-wing. Everyone expects the X-wing to win, but it doesn’t.

Way to make the thread even more geeky, Supertanker. That takes a lot of skill.

Batman had better start building his gizmos with Kryptonite.

Bro, Batman synthesized Kryptonite (see TDKR). To quote Batman:

“It wasn’t easy to synthesize Clark…took YEARS…and it cost a fortune…luckily I had both…”

One of my favorite lines:

“I want you to remember Clark…in all the years to come… in your most private moments…I want you to remember my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the man who beat you…[flatline]”

Not the same without the pictures, but that Miller fella can write a good comic.

-DavidCPA

…a helluva lot better than he can draw one. Or hit a deadline.

I heard Matt Damon’s name mentioned in association with this flick. Now, who could he possibly play? Jimmy Olsen?

What I want to know why comic fans feel that when adapting their favorite heroes, studios should pour money equal to many small nations into a money starting someone who is totally unknown. Cause thats the only time they are happy with the actor.

Ugh. Pick up 300 or better still, Sin City: Silent Night (that one is all India ink and brush) and then repeat this. I actually like his work on the latest DK, but it is crude and probably too harsh for Super Hero comix. His George Will is pretty dead on though.

Ok, I loved Spiderman, but I just can’t get excited about this.

I like my comic book heroes as originally portrayed.

I mean really, Batman and Superman on opposite sides? I can’t get up for that…

Thats the way they have been written for the past…ooohh…16 years. Pick up Kingdom Come trade paper back. You’ll get an idea how the characters will be played in this movie. (Though I imagine not the “old and retired” part)

Got it. I haven’t read a comic in oh…20 years. So, I’ll stick by my “originally portrayed” comment.

If I need a dark anti-hero, there’s always Pat Buchanan.

The only way I equate Batman as not a dark anti-hero is when Adam West portrayed him on TV, or maybe the original Superfriends cartoon. And those portrayals just seem all too indicative of the mindset that believes comic books are only “for kids”.

IMHO, one of the definitive, non-edgy Batman portrayals has been on the “Batman” and “Batman and Robin” cartoons of recent years from the WB. Actually, “Batman Beyond” was a bit of fun, too.

But, you can’t go back to the non-dark version of Batman. Schumacher, that hack director, tried to do that with “Batman and Robin” the movie, turning it into a stupid, campy, awful, codpiece-and-nipple-rubber-suited mess.

• Balut

“Originally portrayed” Bat-Man wore a gun and, while he might not have actually killed anyone (I don’t remember), he certainly let the criminals die. :wink:

Ooops… attribute the Bat-Man note to sgoldj. Sorry… forgot I can post as “Guest” here

What I want to know why comic fans feel that when adapting their favorite heroes, studios should pour money equal to many small nations into a money starting someone who is totally unknown. Cause thats the only time they are happy with the actor.

I think it’s mainly because of the baggage a known actor would bring. If you have Tom Cruise or even Leonardo DiCaprio playing Spider-man, the character and the movie are not the focus anymore, the major stars overshadow all aspects of the film. People see the star first, the character second (if at all).