Supermarket Rotisserie Chicken - David Change says its "inedible"

“I got a hot take,” said the chef known for his culinary hot takes, including his love for Domino’s pizza, which he mentioned in the episode. “I think the Costco chicken is the worst rotisserie chicken."

"They’re not good. They’re not seasoned,” he continued. “The reason why it’s important to have it properly seasoned is, you might eat it the next day cold, and it’s got to taste good cold.

“There’s something about all the nitrates and all the crap they pump into the chicken that makes the chicken breast even more disgusting the next day when it’s cold."

He said the bird’s lack of seasoning makes it “inedible” when eaten cold.

It’s a whole roast chicken for $5. Is it Michelin 3-star chicken? No. Is it a solid base for a quick meal? Shredded into enchiladas? Sliced into a sandwich? Hell yes!

When I worked in a deli we had a spice rub that was put on the chickens. Is that not common?

And he likes Domino’s? Meh.

They are spiced. My guess is they aren’t brined, although to my tongue Costco’s version tastes like every other generic supermarket rotisserie chicken. Not great, but fine.

They’re technically “spiced” I guess.

It’s worth noting that Costco calls the dish “Seasoned Rotisserie Chicken” and has the “seasoning” ingredients listed on the label: salt, sodium phosphates, hydrolyzed casein, modified cornstarch, sugar, dextrose, chicken broth, isolated soy protein lecithin and mono-and-diglycerides.

Like I said, they’re a good and cheap protein base for a meal.

Mmmmm, sodium phosphates. Delicious!

I don’t know if there is a difference between the American Costco chicken and the Canadian one. I live in the greater Toronto area and I am in general agreement that the Costco chicken is not that great. Its okay, and is certainly a great price but we choose to pay a little extra for our supermarket rotisserie chicken.

We buy from Safeway when we opt for the rotisserie chicken. We’ll pick it up, some mozzarella balls, basil, tomato, olives, and a baguette and have a picnic-style meal at home with some quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Costco rotisserie chicken is reliably the juiciest. It’s also great to use for shredding chicken for salads or boiling the bones to make soup.

And fresh it is perfectly fine as a dish in its own right.

Dude just has a bad Costco by him.

And, apparently, the only good Domino’s.

It’s $4.99 or $8.99 CAD.

Also Costco treats its workers better than David Chang treated his restaurant employees.

Another account.

When was the last time you had Domino’s?

Costco chickens are pretty good for that sort of thing. For the price, it’s a fine deal too.

One of the reasons we have a Sam’s Club membership is because the Chicken. We usually end up making part of into soup.

Really, it’s just a base to make other foods with, not something we eat on its own. Fewer spices makes it easily to use in other dishes.

He must have different standards for chicken than he does for pizza, because Domino’s definitely wouldn’t pass the next day test. You’ve got about an hour from the moment it leaves the oven. Anything left after that is for emergency consumption only.

As someone who has to now eat no sodium or very little, I do miss these chickens from Costco. They did contain a load of salt though.

I don’t see any spices in that list of spices.Except salt of course.

I remember them selling various varieties like cajun, but that may be a false memory like when Big Bird from Sesame Street touched my weenis.

Typically salt alone is “seasoned”, but “spiced” indicates herbs n’ spices of some kind other than salt.

Who the fuck is Dave Chang and why do I care what he says?

Oh, that’s right, the outrage machine needs to be fed, and I bet this was all hyped up on Twitter and some stupid reporter had to run with the story.

Sigh.

Yep, we do all of this. It’s a great deal. We probably get at least three meals out of one.

For whatever it’s worth, he’s a pretty highly regarded (and Michelin star-winning) chef.