Supernatural

I was afraid it was going to be curtains for Sheriff Mills during the last episode. Close, very close.

Too close, but great episode. Meta Fiction, however, was sublime. It reminded me how much I missed Gabriel. ;)

Yeah, me too. All of his episodes have been great. Every time I saw the actor who plays him doing Pepsi commercials, all I could think was “write another Supernatural episode for him!”

Oh, and a programming note: the next episode is going to be the pilot for a spin-off series about hunters vs. monsters in Chicago.

Yup, Bloodlines. Trying to keep an open mind on it.

In this city, what’s the difference?

I suspect that will be one of the show’s major themes.

On a less snarky note, it would be nice if they pulled some of the more interesting surviving one shot characters into this show–like the golem and its master, for example.

I’m still waiting for the antichrist to make a return.

So… that didn’t feel right at all.

The monsters were right out of the teen drama CW playbook, almost like one of the episodes where Supernatural parodies itself. Then the hero (we know he’s the hero because his girlfriend is killed by monsters in the first second) executes a human in the head, some guy who was clearly went crazy with grief more than even evil, and barely hesitates. WTF.

I actually like the of idea of retconning more of a monster-invisible-society thing, more like the universe in Buffy or Angel. But not like that. Ugh. They should have done a Jody the Sheriff spinoff.

That was a waste of a Supernatural episode. I have zero interest in the spin-off. It was so bad I was hoping that the new characters would get killed at the end of the episode, they were so uninteresting. Such clumsy exposition, too. Sam and Dean kill a monster in front of the new hero and 30 seconds of talk later he’s completely down with the idea of vampires, shapeshifters, and other monsters. Hey, why not?

I think they cast bad actors, maybe because they cast very young actors. The new hero was tossed some Dean lines but there’s a world of difference between the way Dean pulls them off and the way the new guy attempted.

Disappointing.

I completely nerded out during that episode. “That’s not how the shapeshifters work! Where is all the sloppy skin cast-off?”

The Romeo and Juliet shapeshifter/werewolf romance was ridiculous (and it had one of the most awkward kisses I’ve seen on TV in a while)

Sam and Dean turning a blind eye to the guy killing the grief stricken Freddy Kruger was completely out of character for them - especially for Sam. Speaking of Mr Claws, how did he manage to kill the guy’s girlfriend? I mean, sure he pushed her into a flexible metal curtain, but he’s not super human. At most she’s waking up the next day with a headache and a stiff neck.

Yeah, her skull must have been made of eggshell. I think I was hoping for something a bit grittier. It’s all pretty people and monster politics, but in fairness this pilot was more about introducing the concept and main characters. Once the show gets rolling the story could be more interesting.

Still, there was nothing in this pilot that makes me want to tune in if it gets picked up. EW has a poll up and 35% want to see more and the rest are on the fence or didn’t like it.

At my girlfriend’s prompting, I started watching this a few months ago, and now that I’m up almost to the end of Season 6, I have to say, I’m enjoying it. Good arcs so far.

Yeah, I started watching at the beginning of 2013 and it took me up until now to catch up. I love the show. Whoever does the casting for the show is terrific. They seem to always find interesting actors.

Just watched this (DVR backlog), and it was aggressively mediocre. The supernatural element was frankly extraneous to a bog-standard feuding crime families arc that wouldn’t have played out any differently if they’d all been human. Any spinoff based on that pilot needs to be a lot less generic.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!! Glad you’re enjoying it!

We’re finally watching Bloodlines…boooooooooyyyy most of this is crap.

I was wondering when you’d weigh in, Brian.

Yeah, I’m torn. Supernatural is my all-time favorite show, but this spinoff looks terrrrrrrrrrrrible. It had a tiny bit of potential, but most of the actors were terrible except for the male shifter, who was meh.

Exactly what my friends and I were saying. The acting was terrible. The idea was decent (really, though, just fire up Dresden again!), but meh.

The biggest issue is they are trying to sell Werewolf Gossip Girls to the wrong crowd.