Supernatural

Good throwdown with Cain this week, although I’m sad the character didn’t appear in more episodes. Rowena though, bleah. The sooner she bites it, the better. I hate the way Crowley is lessened by her presence. He’s normally a great villain, but she reduces him to an also ran.

I really enjoyed this week’s MOTW episode. Dean’s growing rapport with the military guy who previously tried to kill him was believable, and I kept hoping that he’d join the hunter ranks. Sam and Dean are pretty much out of human allies now, and I always liked the periodic glimpses of a larger hunter community that we used to get (Bobby, Rufus, Jo, etc etc.).

Me too. The directing was spot-on, I thought—it had a classic horror feel that fit the classic style of episode. In the grander scheme of things, Supernatural has felt kind of undirected to me since season six, lurching from one crisis per season to the next. I kind of like the lower stakes. It feels more like the early days. Maybe they can build back to the earlier heights.

Since the original show runner had a five year plan and left at its completion, that feeling you have makes perfect sense.

I seem to largely be talking with myself here, but interesting episode this week. I’ve been hoping something would drive a wedge between Crowley and Rowena, and it finally happened. Now if they’ll just kill her off… And there were some neat little touches. The pitchfork and umbrella in Crowley’s drink made me laugh, and the rest of the scene with Dean was also good.

And then there’s Bobby. I love Jim Beaver, and his absence from the show has hurt it. I think the final glimpse of the angels entering his private heaven may be the first step in his return.

This explains why season 5 was the last best season in the whole show.

Its a good show but getting a bit long in the tooth. Since they past their 5 year plan the seasons have been somewhat formulamatic. The problem is the recent seasons, our heroes are no longer men of action, they are men of reaction. One of the two gets in mortal dire straits and then they spend the rest of the season reacting to whats happened. The whole Rowena/Crowley dynamic almost ruined Mark Sheppards excellent role, they needed to boot her ass much sooner than they did. Youre right about Bobby, they need him back. He had a way of keeping the show somewhat grounded. I still enjoy the show but they definitely need to get back to what made the show great.

Couldn’t agree more. In fact, I made a post saying exactly that a couple months back. :-)

I don’t mind the idea of the arc with Rowena and Crowley in hell, but I just think it hasn’t worked that well. I think one part of it is the writing, and another part is the actress. Maybe her accent. I don’t know. But I like the idea of it, and I like where it went in the last episode. There’s a chance that the curse she hinted at being able to find out how to remove will be a direction she goes now, given her current situation and the events of this episode. And there’s a chance that Dean and Crowley planned it that way, in their drinking session. Of course, pure speculation, but that the episode was so good that I feel inspired enough to speculate is a good sign.

I think that Bobby’s absence hurting is a sign that there just aren’t enough actors and actresses with any real presence in the show. For me, there’s only been a few, namely Sam/Moose, Dean, their father, Bobby, Crowley, Cain, the original Ruby, and maybe a few others. Most of the rest are supporting actors/actresses who could have been replaced by anyone for all I remember them.

I don’t even know whether I’d include Sam/Moose in that any more. To be honest, I think he had more presence in the earlier shows. Now he’s just a long haired sidekick to Dean. You could kill Sam permanently and I’d still watch it. But if you killed Dean, I think the heart of the show would be gone.

I don’t mind the idea of the arc with Rowena and Crowley in hell, but I just think it hasn’t worked that well. I think one part of it is the writing, and another part is the actress. Maybe her accent. I don’t know. But I like the idea of it, and I like where it went in the last episode. There’s a chance that the curse she hinted at being able to find out how to remove will be a direction she goes now, given her current situation and the events of this episode. And there’s a chance that Dean and Crowley planned it that way, in their drinking session. Of course, pure speculation, but that the episode was so good that I feel inspired enough to speculate is a good sign.

Her accent is horrible, to the point that it overpowers any scene Rowena is in. I also agree the the “concept” of Rowena wasn’t bad, its just that the scenes with her and Crowley were so poorly written, that they have damaged what, to this point, had been one of the better side characters on the show and turned him into a walking punch line. I think you may be right about Dean and Crowley. They may have pushed Rowena on the path to cure Deans curse. Shes motivated to do so because she knows she cant kill Dean as long as he has the Mark and she so badly wants to kill Dean.

We finally got caught up this evening (girlfriend wanted a short break, I don’t wanna watch it without her), and I too am thrilled to see Rowena kicked to the curb. It was also great seeing Bobby again. This season has been mostly meandery, but several of the recent episodes have been damned entertaining. I really liked the one with the ghost in the WiFi.

I’d add Death and Castiel to your list, both of whom I love. And yeah, the original Ruby was great. I did not like her replacement nearly as much.

Man, I so love Death in this show. I wanna see him more but I don’t at the same time, you know?

I do, yeah. Keeping his appearances rare makes them special.

Exaaaaaaaaactly. Maybe in the end he’ll come to reap the boys if they don’t survive…

TWO classic rock songs this week? Boggle. And I enjoyed all the story threads. Most of you know I’m not a Charlie fan, but she was fine. Cas and Metatron had some fun scenes together (and yay for the return of his grace), and they’re clearly setting up the season finale. Die, Rowena, die.

Yeah, great episode, we just watched it.

Another excellent episode this week. I love how consequences always return to haunt this show’s characters, although (as in this case) five seasons can elapse before they do. And sending Claire off to Jodi Mills at the end was inspired. Now there are three female hunters up there. Hopefully, we’ll see them in action in a future episode. I could do without the sheriff’s sidekick, though. She was annoying.

Just got all caught up. Fuck.

Female. Supporting cast. Been around for multiple seasons. Fate: certain.