Superstore is kind of the little sitcom that could...

Summer of 2016, I–like a lot of folks, perhaps–followed the twitter account of Owen Ellickson, a TV writer/producer. He’s the guy who did the hilarious imagined Trump internal dialogues that were one of the few nice things about that whole disaster.

Anyway, I noticed on his twitter bio that he was part of some show called “Superstore”. I figured I’d check it out. Eventually.

Been working a lot on my weekends just crunching out numbers and needed something playing while I did that busywork and finally remembered that show. Turns out Ellickson only produced a handful of episodes. The creator is a guy named Justin Spitzer, who was brought in as a creative hand to help write/produce some of the final seasons of The Office.

So anyway, Superstore. First, it’s set in St. Louis, so already I’m kinda rooting for a show that namechecks Richmond Heights and Kirkwood. But it’s also got a really good cast. And although the show starts off being so inconsequential and predictable that it shouldn’t work, the characters themselves become so likeable that as the writing improves through the first season, this thing starts to work a little magic.

It’s a sitcom. It isn’t Parks & Rec level, or even The Good Place. But it kind of knows that and there really are some very good moments that push this above a lot of stuff in this genre. I guess I’d say I’m liking this show more than Brooklyn Nine-nine, for instance.

The cast, like I mentioned, is great. I’ll watch America Ferrera in anything, and here she’s given a character that she eventually turns from a caricature into three dimensions. Colton Dunn is simply amazing (he’s one of the Animal Control guys in Parks, and a featured writer/performer from Key & Peele) in this. He’s a guy who’s deserved a big role in a series, and here he gets his chance and knocks it out of the park. Kids in the Hall standby Mark McKinney kind of grows on you as the manager and his character gets better and better, too. And to me, the real unsung actor on this show is Nichole Bloom – who is stunningly beautiful and could be a model – but happily shows off real acting chops and dimensions as a dumb kid who has some depth to her…and isn’t afraid to do the “I Love Lucy” pratfalls and make fun of herself.

I guess I also love the little moments in this show. It quietly creates this view of what a crap job it is to be a minimum wage worker in the 21st century in the US. I mean, yes, they do a whole episode arc on that at the end of season one, but even before that there’s stuff like America Ferrera’s character having to bring her daughter to work because she couldn’t find daycare, or how nothing is free or unpaid and workers are fodder more than assets. It doesn’t preach that stuff (too much) but it’s always present here…and anyone who’s ever worked retail will recognize that this writing team did their fair share of restocking and cleaning aisles.

It seems like a show worth sticking out through the first awkward episodes to see if it fits. If you get through the All Nighter episode in season one and you’re unmoved, this show probably isn’t your thing.

I agree, it’s awkward at first as the actors and writers are likely finding the right groove, but it’s a great show.

My wife and I have been watching this since it started airing. She’s always been on board with it, but my stance has gradually changed from “Well, I guess this is another one of NBC’s failed one-season sitcoms” to “Okay, that episode was actually funny” to “Okay, this is downright good.”

Lauren Ash (Dina) was funny in the first season, but it felt like she was basically playing a female Dwight Schrute at times. Season 2, and she’s a revelation. Really, really hilarious.

I had the same thought. When she first shows up, you’re like “Oh, it’s Dwight – the uptight, management-worshiping character. I know how this goes.”

Then she subverts that in small ways. Like, you’d expect that she wouldn’t really do Halloween. Then she shows up rocking the “sexy policewoman” outfit. Or, you’d expect that she would follow along with whatever the store manager says. But she fights him on a lot of things – I thought their exchange this week, with the store manager trying to set up a nativity scene by lying about what everything was called, was hilarious.

Nice timing. I just started watching this show a couple weeks ago and I think it’s super charming and pretty funny. My wife and I got right into it. Same thing happened actually with The Mayor. My wife and I were looking for something different 2 weeks ago and we started both. And both were surprisingly good. Superstore less so because I’d heard good things already, but The Mayor actually being funny was not something I expected. It’s also relentlessly positive.

Superstore, A+++, would watch again.

I don’t get broadcast TV, only internet, so what network is this on?

NBC. Streaming via Hulu also.

I have laughed very hard in shock before at something, but it’s been a while since I’ve laughed as hard as I did over Amy’s solution for substitutes for rape whistles.

I’ve caught a couple of the episodes because my girlfriend watches it, but I have a hard time getting past the manager character. It seems like a decent enough show otherwise.

Watched the pilot so far, super strong pilot which is pretty rare.

My Mom has been hounding me to watch this for a while now, and since the pilot was fun I’m pleased to have a new show to binge for awhile (last year it was Great News - when did NBC have great comedies again!?)

I can see/hear how Mark McKinney’s voice would be a barrier to entry here. They um, start to riff on that as the show goes on.

It’s more than just his voice, though that is probably part of it. It’s the stereotypical ‘dumb boss’ character turned up to 11. It’s a played-out caricature on these network sitcoms.

I disagree. He’s a total sweetypie!

We started watching this show thanks to this thread and we love it. Half the time you know what’s coming and still laugh, the other half you get surprised and laugh even harder.

This is the last episode we watched and the whole dance routine was stupid and yet still oddly touching. When it did the routine transition we nearly rolled off our seats laughing. Mostly because one of the dance moves was reminiscent of a cat we had trying to express her glands by scooting across the ground.

That’s awesome if it just gets better in the second season, it’s already more than good enough for us to keep watching. I really just wanted an excuse to laugh at something, and this show provides.

Renewed for Season 4.

Hooray! The show is great.

Great news!

btw A bit of trivia that I can’t believe I NEVER picked up on: Cheyenne calls her child Harmonica, which is a reference to characters in Once upon a time in the West.