Supremacy: Four Paths to something or other

Ok, when I first saw this game’s name, I thought it was based on the old board game. So I wasn’t interested (I don’t like board game conversions). But I have sense learned it is a TBS game that takes place in space and on the ground. Now I am more interested. I also read about it in the indy section of CGM, which makes me want to support the game a bit more.

Anyone played it (or an early version) yet? Will it get a full release or do you have to order it online?

I think Supremacy is available from Matrix Games already. You can download it online or buy it in a store.

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16262

and

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17600

The second one has some impressions.

I was firmly in the “not impressed” category. The AI was a pushover, the maps uninteresting and the faction differences irrelevant after five turns. The land battles were especially disappointing because they dragged on and on.

Troy

Yes, yes, and yes. Once I got over the nausea, I still did not find it very fun. I really tried, though.

Oh well. So can anyone recommend a GOOD game of this sort?

You mean a turn-based space game? I thought Galactic Civilizations was pretty good, although it doesn’t have land combat. And I liked the revised Reach for the Stars (SSG), which didn’t get such good reviews at the time. In fact, Matrix is re-releasing RFTS for $20. That’s cheaper than Supremacy, and I suspect it’s probably a better game.

My all-time favorite is still Emperor of the Fading Suns, though. Why couldn’t that game have had decent AI?

Man, someone really needs to do a good computer version of the boardgame Supremacy. I loved that game. In high school me and my pals would play on New Years Eve and celebrate the new year by destroying the world every time…

You mean a turn-based space game? I thought Galactic Civilizations was pretty good, although it doesn’t have land combat. And I liked the revised Reach for the Stars (SSG), which didn’t get such good reviews at the time. In fact, Matrix is re-releasing RFTS for $20. That’s cheaper than Supremacy, and I suspect it’s probably a better game.

My all-time favorite is still Emperor of the Fading Suns, though. Why couldn’t that game have had decent AI?[/quote]

Aren’t those all 4X games though? Is that what Supremacy is? I was thinking more like Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, X-Com, etc. I haven’t played EFS though, so I can’t comment on that one. There are tons of 4X games I like, but I am looking for something like Fantasy General in space. Or a better version of that Warhammer game…what was it, Chaos Legion?

Do you mean Chaos Gate? I liked that, too. No, Supremacy isn’t Space General. It seems (from the reviews) to have significant production/building like a 4X game, although the style is not quite the same. But I think it’s closer to a 4X game than it is to Chaos Gate.

Yes, Chaos Gate. I thought that was an underappreciated game. I’d like to see more of those. In fact, I would like to see a nice update of Space Hulk, one that incorporates the psi-powers properly and really has the feel of the board game without the tedium of rolling dice and putting together those space stations.

Is the “in space” part essential, Robert? Because The Battle for Wesnoth is a great turn-based game very much in the style of Fantasy General, with a lighter feel but much better AI. It’s a free download, and there are a number of great campaigns available for it.

If you’re thinking of the Warhammer game in SSI’s “5-Star General” series, that’s Rites of War. Chaos Legion was the squad-level tactical game where you play as the Space Marines.

I too have been hankering for a sci-fi themed, scenario-based strategy game. Wesnoth is helping some, even though it has a fantasy setting. Also, if you liked the old classic M.A.X., Domination is worth a look.

I’ll try Wesnoth, Jason. Thanks. And, no it wasn’t Rites of War, it was Chaos Gate, but I like both types of games, which is why I mentioned Fantasy General. You are right though that they are very different types of games. One is more of a war game and one is more tactical. I like both, so I conflated them.