MS live event going on right now.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

12-inch, 2160x1440 display. 3:2 ratio.
800 grams/1 pound, 12 ounces
9.1 mm thick (Surface 2 was 10.6mm)
Core i7

I want to go to there.

It’s fanless, but it has a fan!

They really need to stop saying “product” and say the damn product’s name. “When I show you what this Surface can do.” Not, “When I show you what this product can do.”

Ooooh, intentful!

Goes on sale tomorrow, starting at $799 for Core i3. Three configs, Core i3, i5, and i7.

So, what’s the pen? Is it a real wacom or similar? No one seems to have actual specs.

They spoke about the specs in the presentation; 256 levels of pressure, etc. Sounds like it’s the same class-leading pen as before. Also improved palm rejection.

Looks pretty good. If the $899 model has 128GB storage and comes with the type cover, it will be a compelling product. If it has 64GB and no cover so the real price is $1100, not so much.

Looks neat, but it won’t stop the next tablet I buy from being the Galaxy Tab 12.2. Less money, equivalent resolution, better developed software ecosystem.

Might get some would-be ultrabook buyers to bite, though.

I want this for my new laptop.

Just saw mentioned on Twitter that the pen is now N-trig, no longer Wacom. Those i7 models will be around $1500 by the way. Type cover is not included in any stated prices, as usual. I’ll want to see that new “lapability” for myself, Anand Shimpi just tweeted it’s better than the old Surface but still not as good as a real laptop. I don’t understand why they stick with this misguided tablet-plus-optional-keyboard nonsense for a 12" device designed to run conventional Windows software. If it’s supposed to be a laptop just make one.

All right, here we go. Microsoft data sheet with technical specifications & suggested retail pricing:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/Surface3ProFS.docx

The i7 models are $1550 and $1950 for 256 and 512 GB, respectively. Type cover is always $130 extra. Apparently just one USB 3 port, so a USB hub or the $200 docking station are mandatory. Only integrated Intel GPU of course, and only the 4400 HD is mentioned which strikes me as potentially worrisome for that high resolution. May be CPU-dependent, though.

All right, here we go. Microsoft data sheet with technical specifications & suggested retail pricing:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/Surface3ProFS.docx

The i7 models are $1550 and $1950 for 256 and 512 GB, respectively. Type cover is always $130 extra. Apparently just one USB 3 port, so a USB hub or the $200 docking station are mandatory. Only integrated Intel GPU of course, and only the 4400 HD is mentioned which strikes me as potentially worrisome for that high resolution. May be CPU-dependent, though.

There’s a pent-up demand for $1500-2000 ultrabook tablets?

Why, Sony had great success with premium touch ultrabooks in that price range… oh wait.

The bump to 12" actually makes this a not-terrible product. Still, at $1000 to $1200 for a decently spec’d version, I’d rather have an ultrabook with a real keyboard hinge.

I really, really like what they’ve done here. I really and truly have grown to despise the HP Spectre X2 I bought last December, and now that they’ve made Surface Pro 3 more usable on the actual lap, I’m in. The real question is whether to early adopt or to wait and see if they do a Broadwell revision down the road.

At the very least I would wait for battery life results. I wouldn’t buy it with less than 8 hours of normal usage, which is approximately how the Surface Pro 2 performed. However, the Surface Pro 3 has a larger much higher resolution screen, so I suspect it might get <6 hours. If so, definitely wait on broadwell.

The MS presenter didn’t speak about battery life at all, so I would definitely be wary. One of the major attractions of the macbook airs and ipads he kept referring to are their very strong 10+ hour battery lives.

He did mention at one point no compromise on Surface 2 battery performance, but it was more in passing than a big point he dwelled on. Agree it would be worthwhile waiting for feedback.

I don’t really see this being better than a laptop when I want to use it as a laptop. It’s lighter but a laptop doesn’t need a kickstand and has a better keyboard. If I want a laptop and don’t care if the laptop is also a tablet, is there a reason why this beats out other laptops?

My advice to MS is make me want this as my tablet of choice when all I want is a tablet, and then the laptop stuff is a bonus. Or make me want this as my laptop of choice when I need a new laptop and then the tablet stuff is a bonus.

I love ink and everything pen enabled. This looks wonderful!