Survival games (KUMITE)

So, survival games are my favorite. I’ve played a lot of them, but I’m always looking for more!

To that end, I’ll share my favorites:

RimWorld
The Long Dark
Stationeers
Minecraft

What are your survival suggestions!!

Note: I own a lot of survival games!

Same, so far Minecraft and Space Engineers take up my survival playtime.

7 Days to Die was my favourite for a while. Subnautica is great too.

Long Dark and Minecraft were the two I put by far the most hours into. They did a couple of things I really hated to The Long Dark, otherwise I’d probably still be playing it. Subnautica is also amazing.

Minecraft is still the king, but I really enjoyed Subnautica.

I need to mess with Subnautica. I kind of haven’t because Sarah played through it a few times.

Space Engineers is kind of interesting…

Mine is Don’t Starve - put so much time into that, never even got close to the end game content. Just an incredible ride. I see there is a new expansion coming, called Hamlet, too!

Misery mod for Call of Pripyat, Survival modes in Far Cry Primal and Fallout 4. Some survival mods for Skyrim and New Vegas are also excellent.

Oxygen Not Included is turning out to be pretty fun, just needs more game to be added.

Clearly Far Cry Primal: Survival mode - such a great game, that I cannot recommend enough.

Does Factorio count? Or Fortresscraft Evolved? I like building stuff more than managing hunger.

I’ve also played a lot of Gnomoria. It’s not as punishing as RimWorld, but I’ve still never made it through a full year.

I think the best survival games nowadays are multiplayer though. it’s really boring to survive alone. I’ve never found a good MP community for a survival game. Ark is too PVP and I find minecraft servers to skew to the creative mode side more.

I liked Rust a lot when it was originally released. I’ve only followed it peripherally since then, but I’m not sure it’s worth recommending.

Metal Gear Survive is surprising decent. But is more tough than the average survival game, and in the endgame you will have so much food/water you have too much of it.

I am surprised you have not mentioned Don’t Starve.

Don’t Starve is my gateway drug to survival games, and still the only one I’ve enjoyed.

Just like with MOO 2 though, I don’t feel like I need to play any other games in the genre yet though, since I haven’t gotten everything out of Don’t Starve yet.

One thing I love about it is how Day 1 is still so much fun every time. If the start of your survival game isn’t fun every single time, you know it’s going to have a short life. With Don’t Starve, I just love starting over. I love that first day of exploration and seeing what’s around me.

Compare that with The Long Dark, for example. I haven’t played it since it was in very early access, but back then Day 1 consisted of walking a long, long distance without finding anything. In Don’t Starve, you start the game, and you’re instantly picking up sticks and stones and flowers and berries. You’re engaged from the first moment, and you’re working towards surviving. In The Long Dark, you’re walking with nothing else going on, not just for seconds, not just minutes, but over a dozen minutes, finding nothing, potentially. And any backpacks and other things I found were empty too, which never happens in Don’t Starve.

Does This War of Mine count? I had a surprisingly good time with that one.

Oh man. Day One. And that’s despite not playing much of Shipwrecked or Giants expansion yet. One thing I really hated about the Giants expansion is how rain totally makes everything soggy. I didn’t mind that in Shipwrecked, because it fit the theme, but the Giants expansion sogginess just made the base game so much harder, so I usually play the game without the Giants and Shipwrecked expansion content activated.

The Forrest seems very positively reviewed. Anyone play it. How does it stand up in terms of F-U-N compared to say , Subnautica?

It seems interesting from the let’s plays I’ve watched, but no firsthand experience.

There’s a thread here dedicated to it that might be more helpful. Or not! The Forest - Survival horror in a forest filled with the monsters from The Descent