Surviving Mars - Paradox Strategy

aw345

Well, actually it is more complex than Cities: Skyline because you have colonist management on top of base building. It’s not a hardcore simulation game. While it isn’t really complex, it can be quite hard if you set the right starting conditions.

I found deleting objects and cancelling builds first hidden, then awkward. I rebound “X” from probes to Salvage (what both cancels and deletes). Now it is click/X, click/X all over the map. Other than that, and deselecting being awkward, the UI seems fine. Watched no tutorials (preference), and now I see how some things work last night, starting a second game to order boat two with a better payload.

I’m also holding off on deciding difficulty. Very easy looks easy, but it has a difficulty slider. Until I see how it manages the higher difficulties, I’ll reserve judgement.

Just put up a solar panel next to the extractor/

A couple of UI questions:

Is there a degradation level overlay?

Is there a droid task/destination overlay?

I don’t think there are any overlays.

It doesn’t have to be a true mapmode or anything, just the same way you can see drone control ranges.

Zacny’s complaints with Surviving Mars are the exact complaints I have about the disappointing Banished. Yikes. That’s $40 saved.

Is there no way to manage upkeep besides looking at buildings and deciding they need maintenance, or clicking on them to check and then requesting maintanence for them? Seems like this will get unwieldy as colonies get bigger.

The first one. It’s hard to imagine not! The first one was a buggy mess, if I recall.

Upkeep is automatic as long as you have drones in range and the drones have materials in range of the building that needs maintaining. I think the idea is you have to keep palettes of resources around for every drone relay/shuttle, which is where the major mid-game challenge seems to lay.

So they will get to them and perform maintenance before they break down (as long as drones and resources are available and in range)? I’ve had things get real far into red almost completely filling the line.

You may have not had the required resource within range of the drones/building in question, then.

Just sped it up to look, and there is a grace period when it fills up where it tells you it is deteriorating and will stop operating soon unless repaired, and then a drone raced off to repair it. Cool, lot less micromanaging then.

It doesn’t look like it is possible to have colonists go from the dome they live in to another dome to fulfill some need - like medical. Is that true? If so it seems like domes are going to be kinda cookie cutterish.

At first, no they won’t go to another dome just to meet a need or job. They can, however, move their residence from 1 dome to another.
Later on you can unlock much bigger domes, which should solve the cookie cutter problem.

This game is growing on me now. Once I got past my power-cable frustrations, I started having fun.

I’ve built a concrete extractor, a power-storage thing, a drone-recharger, a survey tower, and 3 large solar panels to power them all. Everything seems power-hungry. Should I be building wind power? Or maybe the generator? I can’t tell whether the generator consumes any resources.

Also, I’m not entirely sure what to do next, but I do see that the “milestone” panel gives some guidance. So…I’m looking for water.

Learning how to use the remote transport really opens up the game, being able to move an entire universal depot worth of goods to a new area is amazing.

2 domes so far, working on a 3rd near a rare resource deposit.

Was pleasantly surprised when my shuttles started dropping people at a new dome for me. I thought they were just for quicker transport of goods over long distances.

My base so far:

The original site

Rare metals outpost

Any idea why drones aren’t grabbing concrete from this extractor?

That transport just dropped some off and the drones went nuts grabbing it do do repairs, so I’m not sure why they are ignoring it at the extractor.

Edit: :( figured it out. There is a little lip right there, and the smaller drones can’t navigate it to get to the storage of the extractor. I can’t even have them salvage it.