Surviving Mars - Paradox Strategy

Seems to be the Paradox modus operandi of late.

Aren’t they just the publisher? Like how much say did they have in this game? This should be the Tropico 4/5 group (I liked 5)

The game is still super easy until you force yourself into a difficult situation of a “Hard” sponsor and area with massive disasters and few resources. If you don’t move to the ends of the extreme there’s no challenge.

Maybe some of those game rules options they are adding will up the difficulty to make it more interesting then. Or, maybe I just won’t be as good and I’ll get a couple games out of it before it gets too easy :-)

I just hope everyone watched the video. :)

I watched the whole thing, now I’m good for another 30+ years before I need to listen to it again. Do you think it was filmed on Mars, the whole video has a very orange tint?

I think of the game more like SimCity than EU IV, or Civ. So I guess I’m less concerned with it being a challenge.

I agree once you get to being self-sufficiency there isn’t a lot of challenge. In no small part, because there isn’t a lot to build. I’m not sure that workshops will add muich in the at front but it will be a nice addition.

There is a definitely more of tension feeling that I’m barely surviving with a hard sponsor and setting with lots of disasters. Those dust devils can real screw you over.

I still haven’t seen any balancing notes. If they don’t take an axe to the default and tech performance/morale numbers these changes will make the vanilla game insanely easy. The only challenge will be those you impose on yourself via extra-menu options. I really dislike it when a developer decides they can’t be bothered to balance their vanilla gameplay and leave it up to the player or modders.

That isn’t what Paradox is seeing. Listening to their podcast, the problem they are seeing in reviews is accessibility, the game is too difficult to learn. Therefore they are concentrating on making the game easier to learn.

I think the learning curve was more a factor of the game not working like one would expect. The original filter settings were a mess and that broke the learning cycle for a lot of people. Not being able to understand how to control one’s colonists made the rest of the game challenging. You had people running halfway across Mars to suffocate LOL. Then you couldn’t get the right people at the right jobs, and had lack of population issues… but then you’d hit a point and had sudden population explosion that was out of control and you’d run out of food. It was one extreme to another. I grabbed mods to amend this soon after my first game, before they released the patch that fixed all that.

If they were to have new people play I think it’s a different experience since those filters work like you expect them to - and you can turn off rabbit breeding.

curiosity

I got to get back into this at some point, not sure if it is this update or the next big one.

2 of the 4 big new features in that image are completely irrelevant to me and I imagine the vast majority of existing players. I’m not trying to say they shouldn’t have invested time into them, but both do strike me as things that are most useful to have in the game at launch.

Simplied Chinese is now a bullet point in an update?

-Tom

Yes, try to enjoy it.

I played this game a lot this month, but I’m definitely over it. The last update passage added some good game play. I think it it possible to make a more interesting middle and end-game, but I’m not sure how you do it.

I only played about 50 turns and then set it down. Last week i picked it up again.

So far i’ve really enjoyed it despite finding it boring at first. There aren’t that many bottlenecks, and they’re pretty much all of your own making. You also kind of have to run the game and 2x or 3x speed; 1x speed is a dreary slog.

But the strategy of the game is just overcoming these bottlenecks and watching what happens. And then mix this up with the late game mystery. Once you’ve done that enough there’s not much else going on. To some extent though i still find it more engaging that CIties Skylines since that game has virtually no bottlenecks and your cities all but build themselves.

"On the tutorial question: we made a mistake. A straight, honest to god mistake. To us, the game did not seem that complex because we know it. We decided that, okay, we will do this elaborate system and people will gradually learn it as they go. In the end, it wasn’t exactly like that.

“But that’s something we’ve learned from, and that’s something that’s very good about Paradox and reflects our thinking as well—that we’ll keep listening to players and keep improving the game. The launch is just the beginning.”

Okay. So I enjoy a lot of Paradox games but…

“But that’s something we’ve learned from, and that’s something that’s very good about Paradox and reflects our thinking as well—that we’ll keep listening to players and keep improving the game. The launch is just the beginning.”

They’ve been awful at tutorials… for years. I can’t imagine any developer learning how to do tutorials from Paradox being a good thing.It’s not as if Paradox has ever taken tutorials seriously… ever. Heck if a game launches with one it probably breaks with the first few of a hundred DLC items… and they may never fix it.