Survivor 38: Age of Extinction

So the new season started about 5 weeks ago. I’ve only caught up to the first episode, and part of the second.

The Edge of Extinction season brings back 4 Survivors from previous seasons. It’s funny that I recognize all of them (Joe, David, Aubrey, Kelly Wentworth), but the one who I recognize from her name is Kelly Wentworth. I remember being a fan of hers when she returned in a previous season. And yet, even after watching her in an entire episode, her face is not ringing any bells for me. I just don’t remember her at all. Just her name and that I liked her for some reason.

The other twist hasn’t been fully explained yet after the first episode. The person voted out has a choice, to leave the game, or live on the edge of extinction. No explanation yet on when or how they’ll have a chance to come back.

So there really have been 38 Survivor shows? I know there hasn’t been 38 years of this schtick. Do they do two shows a year?

Yes, 2 shows a year.

For some reason CBS.com isn’t letting me stream this in Mexico even with a VPN. I’ll have to come up with a workaround.

I’m glad I caught up. This has been an enjoyable season so far.

I haven’t watched last night’s episode yet, but overall I’m sure whatever is going to happen with the folks voted out of the game will be disappointing, but it’s kind of cool while everything is in limbo. They’re basically keeping everyone from the beginning of the season in the game, but to what end? It’s kind of cool.

Well, the much hyped Tribal Council was crazy, but not quite worthy of the hype. Still, a fun show to be sure.

Now, until a couple of years ago, I hadn’t watched Survivor regularly since the first few years. I don’t recall much if any direct communication between Survivors at Tribal in those earlier years. Now, they just move aside a little and whisper in pair and groups. The same for life at the camp. No one seems to really attempt who they’re talking with and wander off together in front of everyone or even just say “Hey, lets go talk strategy” in front of the rest of the tribe.

I watched the season finale last night and that was quite a finish.

I wasn’t sure I liked the Age of Extinction addition to this season, but it ended up giving us two of the most influential players of the season (the two that came back) and some of the best game play we have seen in a while by those two.

I think we freely use spoilers in this thread, but will wait a day or so in case some haven’t finished it up yet to say whether they pulled it off or not. Still, it was quite an enjoyable finale overall.

I didn’t watch Survivor for something like seasons 10-35 or so. A long time anyway. But I’ve enjoyed the last few I’ve watched and really liked AoE. I thought it was cool that getting blindsided in the first few votes (which is pretty much a crapshoot depending on who is on your team as much as how you play) didn’t mean we never saw you again and that you still could have a Survivor experience on the AoE island.

I thought most everyone’s gameplay was pretty strong and there were valid reasons for almost every person’s strategy. The final few were particularly amazing in how they worked out.

Not sure about next season though. It looks like…something.

Yeah, I enjoyed this season quite a bit. The winner didn’t sit well with me, but at the same time I have to give him props for a bold move that pretty much got him the victory.

Anyway, one other reason for liking the format is that we got to know and spend some time with all the Survivors this season, even the ones eliminated early, thanks to Edge of Extinction. I hope they bring that back.

Next season… after lostcawz’ cryptic comment, I looked up the reunion show to watch the preview. Yay! Sandra and Boston Rob are back, but as mentors? That could be great. I do love Sandra, I bet she’s great even as a non-player.