Survivor China

No, Chris was a couple seasons before that. He had red hair and a beard. IIRC he went on to win that season.

Let me jump in, since I originally levelled the dishonesty charge against Leslie. I didn’t think she was being deliberately deceptive on day one. I just don’t like sentences that begin with, “I’m not so-and-so,” are bisected by a big “BUT,” then end with a contradictory second half. Yes, religiosity is subjective, but if you’re a Christian radio host who praises God and speaks on the importance you place in your faith, shouldn’t you assume that you’ll most likely be considered “religious” by the other Survivors? Survivors who are, in the main, a secular bunch of youngish model/actors?

I think I understand what you mean about the distinction made by certain Christians regarding personal relationships versus a more formal Church. Claiming it’s not religious is just not something I’ve been able to wrap my head around, me being Catholic and all.

fuzzyslug: It did seem like a planned “Gotcha!” moment to me, too, along the lines of forcing Kimmie (Outback) to choose between her vegetarianism and winning the meaty food challenge.

Speaking of past Survivors, did anyone catch that clip of Danny Bonaduce literally dropping Johnny Fairplay on his face?

I don’t know what cause she had to be deceptive about it, but that’s how it came across to me. You’re either religious or not, you’re not in close contact with jesus but not religious. Maybe that’s just me.

I did think you were trying to say she was off because she was a christian and I was trying to say what you said above. So we agreed on the second part.

I can’t think of any survivor who deserved it more…and Danny probably shouldn’t go off his meds anymore.

Some Christians have a clear difference between following Christ’s teachings and the relationship, vs. what they consider “religion” that is focused more on “the rules” (do you dunk vs. sprinkle, all the “stuff” that separates Baptists from Methodists from Lutherans, etc.) FWIW.

Me either. I hadn’t watched the latest episode before making my previous post. Who knew she’d go religious brotherhood all of a sudden, especially since she isn’t a religious person.

In all honesty, I think she was originally trying to avoid the religious nut label, even though it seemed to partially fit after all the forced and uncomforable Christian identification stuff she did in the last couple of episodes.

I suggest googling “christianity relationship not religion” (without the quotes). It’s not something she conjured on her own – think of it as a declarative christian meme, if you will.

Last night was a trainwreck of an episode. With Aaron and James the yellow team could have completely dominated and hopefully have the numbers coming into the merge. Even if they come in evened up they can try and flip someone after the merge, like Frosti if he survives or Amanda, or even the lunch lady.

But instead PeiGi comes up with this rediculous, paranoid, loser mentality scheme and, without even running it by Erik or checking to see how attatched Aaron or Jame’s are to their old tribe, they pretty much ensure themselves of getting picked off one by one.

Terrible.

Erik meekly went along, though he’s clearly not the brightest bulb. Aaron and James made no effort to swing Erik to their side or two vote as a block in the hopes someone wavers.

Yep, that was a horrible episode to watch. I hate it whenever a challenge is thrown, but doing so might be useful if timed properly or if backed with a long-term strategy. Last night’s maneuver came far too early in the season and, yes, will only lead to the losers being picked off in coming weeks. Worst of all, it was poorly executed by a couple of giggling airheads who couldn’t even lie properly at Tribal. I suppose there’s some satisfaction to be gained in Aaron getting the boot, after he had rolled over so readily. If James is voted off next week, I hope he has the presence of mind to piss in the rice before he leaves.

It’s a shame that James and Aaron were too dense to see the obvious and state their case before the votes were cast. If Erik was too hung up on Blondie, PeiGi could have been voted off to everyone else’s benefit. Unfortunately, she seems to be the only one on that tribe with any powers of persuasion. Or they’re all just that stupid.

The rest of the season isn’t looking too good.

Jesus, how ironic that I posted this earlier, highlighting what I thought was the worst moment in the history of the show - only to see them do the exact same annoying thing this season. Ridiculous - Aaron/James reward for kicking butt and running a successful tribe it to be immediately eliminated, so that a bunch of lazy losers can endure because the game was manipulated in their favour. Incredibly lame.

Desslock: True. As annoyed as I was with the girls for throwing a challenge, all responsibility lies with Mark Burnett for making it a viable strategy. Long-term, we can look forward to seeing more good players not trying so hard, and doing their best to fly under the radar. There’s already a mechanism in place to punish the brightest performers. Why handicap them to a Harrison Bergeronian extent, with these insulting “twists”?

It would be nice if Burnett were to return to purer “Survivor One” rules and trust in the players making the show interesting, but I doubt he’ll get the chance.

Is Survivor still supposed to be the social experiment?

Because the switch-up this week was obviously done, primarily, to keep one team from dominating the other. While on the surface, it looks like they’re doing it just for the ratings – I mean who wants to watch one team full of phsyically weaker players consistently lose and have no surprises or ounce of suspense; it seems like this is the only thing they could do to keep the social experiment aspect from becoming totally predictable. It seems to me, that letting them be on their own, untouched by the Hand of Burnett, would have provided nothing new from the aspect of the social experiment.

But I can’t wait for Peih-Gee and Jaime to get their comeuppance after this week. I predict Frosti will wind up allied with some more of the Fei Long members after this gets out.

Yeah, the switch sucked for Aaron and James… But for the game? I think it will make it a lot more interesting. This game definitely isn’t about winning your competitions, this game is about being the last person standing.

It’s been shown over and over that winning competitions isn’t necessarily the way to win the game over all.

The problem is, this isn’t a “game” at all for James/Aaron - they were basically just disqualified and arbitrarily eliminated. Obviously the game is more than winning competitions, but the game should never be altered to the point where the results are manipulated - players should always have a chance to win, and shouldn’t have the game taken completely out of their hands.

I would argue, however, that it did not have to play out that way. They mixed things up. The red team welcomed their new team members and continued to focus on eliminating Jean-Robert. I expect Sharia will get on their nerves and get voted out will Frosty becomes part of a new aliance.

The yellow team could have similarly looked to incoporate the game’s two strongest players into their strategy. If I had been on that team I would have worked to dominate the challenges and then swing someone from the other team after the merge – Frosty if he survived or someone with ties to Aaron or James if Frosty doesn’t make it through.

PeiGi’s strategy made no sense at all. Mixing things up allowed her to steer her team in a stupid direction but it’s early enough in the game that it definitely did not need to play out that way. There were lots of options on the table that did not involve committing suicide by voting Aaron and James out.

um… as much as I hated seeing Aaron go, he was the player in the game that was the biggest threat. He was physical, charismatic, and didn’t have any enemies. His own tribe would of eventually seen this as a big threat and would of attempted to deal with it. The other tribe is just going to take care of it faster. (Todd was seeing Aaron as a person with too much power - and as annoying as John-Robert was, I could see him working with him to oust Aaron first)

Now, it could of played out different if He and James were left with their original tribe, but who knows.

PG and Jamie’s smart plan I believe is very short sighted. I was ready to see Erik flip sides at the last moment… I bet if Aaron and James put a little pressure on the situation they could of flipped him… Then again Aaron was smart and didn’t do what they would of expected him to do, vote for one of the opposing people.

I don’t like the idea that the game is manipulated behind the scenes to manufacture a more interesting show, yet I’ve long suspected that the events that lead to “twists” are in-game reactions by the producers and are not solely due to good editing forehand.
But, if they’re going to spin the game, wouldn’t it be more fun for them to surreptitiously eliminate the fodder and let the strongest players go head to head? Just once? Please?

They do plan the “twists” out in advance, or so they say. I don’t know how much to believe them on that one.

But either way, yeah, just like with what’s his face got voted out last year because he didn’t work Dreamz hard enough, James and Aaron could have tried to work some magic on this team too…but instead they just tried to fit in and didn’t pay attention to what was happening around them.

And it was almost a guarantee James and Aaron would be voted out at some point, probably not long after merge if not before, because of their physical prowess at the challenges and their alliance being pretty friendly instead of solid.

Basically, they have potentially evened up the game earlier rather than later. If the two girls plans to throw the challenges holds up, they will exactly what makes for the best show, even teams upon the merge.

The big part where they do spend load, so to speak, manipulating the game, is at tribal council. Jeff will bring up shit no one but one or three people know about, put it out in the wind and say, “how about that?”. I’m not sure I agree with it and it’s often planned to try to keep favorites on the show…but it sure is funny to see peoples “secrets” brought out in the open by surprise right when it matters most, at the vote.

There was one tribal council last season where they had an impormptu three person tribal council and Jeff pretty much suggested a good strategy to the two boneheads who were two dense to work it out on their own. That was frustrating because it looked like the person voted out would have survived had Jeff not essentially told everyone how they should vote.

One of the more amusing tribal councils ever, and the deparature of possibly the dumbest, and one of the most annoying, Survivor ever. So happy to not have to look at those utterly vacant eyes, while listening to claims of “I like to pretend to be dumb”

Jean Robert is also playing one of the worst games ever, yet he’s so out there and unpopular, that he might become someone people latch onto to take to a showdown.

Courtney? Poison. Todd and Amanda are the only people who actually seem to be playing the game competently, and also happen to be likeable. I still probably like James the best, but he’s sooo going to be picked off by Todd, and just isn’t strategic enough to avoid his fate. Frosti seems like a likeable guy, but doesn’t really seem capable of being strategic.

How could people like Pee-gee and Jamie actually think James would be on their side, when he came from the other tribe, and in his brief experience on their team they deliberately threw a challenge to screw him and his buddy - so bad. This is easily one of the worst played Survivor games since maybe the 1st season, when nobody knew how things would pan out.

Man, what a team of morons.

• “let’s throw a challenge and tell James he’s lucky we didn’t vote him out, but we’re going to throw the next one to get rid of him. Oh, we changed our mind. Hey, why isn’t he on our side now?”
  • “we’re getting 2 extra team members now! The other team is screwed!”
  • " hey here’s a discarded block of wood on the ground - I found the immunity idol! Haha, wait until those fools try to vote for me. I hope they do!"

Classic.