Survivor - Game Changers

All returning players

Even Probst’s man-crush, Ozzy.

And what’s the over/under of Sandra being the first voted out of her tribe?

That’s a good cast. And yeah, the only way I can see the only two-time winner not to get voted out first is if her tribe wins the immunity challenge the first week.

A couple of early mistakes, and perhaps playing too hard too early, got two people voted out last night in the 2 hour initial episode.

I will wait a bit for other comments in case others haven’t watched yet.

Is the CBS premium service the only way to get the current season streamed? I don’t see it up anywhere.

I watched it on cbs.com. No premium service needed.

What a great episode. This is why I love reunion seasons. With the regular seasons, the first couple of episodes are always kind of boring because you don’t know people yet, you don’t really care about people yet, so you’re not as involved in it, you’re not drawn into it. But with a reunion season, you know all the characters already, and so do they, and it’s fascinating from the start.

I have to say, the final moments at tribal council were so satisfying to me. Maybe not what was said after the vote, but the vote itself was just super satisfying. The editing, music, their choice on which quiet moments to show at camp, it was all masterfully done. This is such a great show.

It requires that you still have a traditional cable or dish provider, doesn’t it?

Nope. I have neither.

It doesn’t require me to log in either. I just go to the website, click on the Survivor episode, and it starts playing.

Probst actually campaigned against including Ozzy, but was compelled to do so by CBS. He was an addition requested by the network.

I was surprised how fat everyone was, heh. Especially JT – he went from a good looking, fit southern kid in his first season (and essentially the same in HvV) to someone well on his way to looking like a middle-aged redneck extra in Justified.

Is it weird that Tony got voted out on the first episode and yet still did better than I expected? Was also glad with Cieri getting the boot.

Pretty disappointed with most of the female cast - too many picks unjustified by their gameplay: Hali (really ridiculous -did she even make the jury? Neither did Michaela, but at least she had real presence when she played) and Sierra in particular. Particularly since there have been some very good strategic female players recently, like past winners Kim S, Natalie A, Denise, and Sophie Clarke, etc Also Kelly Wentworth. On the men’s side, Troyzan not only wasn’t worthy, he looks way over his head, but will probably last to the end as a result.

I was just so happy to see Sandra do her thing. She’s so good. It’s funny that Cerie, on the other tribe, is comparatively out of her depth, with everyone she talks to being suspicious of her.

I think JT looks just like he did at the beginning of his first season. You’re thinking of late JT, after 39 days of starvation, when everyone looks a lot thinner.

And I’m so glad Tony is out. He wasn’t the best player in his own season, but he makes so much noise and hogs so much attention and did a great sales job convincing everyone that he’s a strategic mastermind. Now that he’s out, the rest of this season will not be all about Tony, with him getting so much camera time.

I thought Tony appeared to have a very sound early strategy in hooking up with Sandra and appeared to, at first, mend any issues he may have caused from his early antics. However, when he came at Sandra and Troyzan being out in the night, he went a bit too far. His bunker idea was pretty awesome, but he needed to make it just a bit further out so that every time someone came to water they wouldn’t see the progress.

Ciera started name dropping a bit too early and got hung out to dry as being the only one doing that. You better be pretty sure of your status and bonds before you start suggesting names to people to go home or you could get burned.

They did say that the people were chosen as game changers whether the change they made was beneficial or not, lol. However, I still can’t remember what game changing things some of them did. Still, it should be a pretty enjoyable season.

Tony faced the same problem as Russell Hantz faced after people had watched his initial appearances - same with Rob Cesternino back in the day when he reappeared on all-stars, and likely the same with Johnny Fairplay – everyone knows they are not trustworthy and aggressive. The only player who managed to overcome that image was Boston Rob, because he was sufficiently charismatic and playing with new players who initially just wanted to hang out with him.

Cerie is also recognized as a very smart, strategic player - and she’s also charismatic and disarming - but she has the added disadvantage of being a burden in team challenges.

I would never have expected Sandra to survive two consecutive tribal councils, yet there she is. She is obviously a dangerous player, yet Ciera and Tony managed to make themselves look even more dangerous.

This. Two other thoughts after finally catching up:

1. Damn, MIchaela looks good.

2. An old diving helmet? Really? Is the Idol Design Team completely bereft of ideas?

I agree that she doesn’t really fit the theme as a game changer, but I am glad she has been brought back. She’s athletic, and smart, but was missing the social awareness that would keep her in the game, and one of the solilquies shows she understands that. It will be interesting to see how far she can get this time.

Yeah. That was what struck me when they revealed it. It seems very much oout of place when compared with other design efforts,

It’s like they were in the middle of taping when someone said “Oh shit, we forgot to come up with an idol. Use this.”

Also can we make a new standing rule that any male contestant wearing pigtails is immediately disqualified?

Meh, this season is starting a bit slowly, but there are so many interesting characters left that I’m sure we’ll have lots of momentum shifts. I would have preferred Hali to go, although she showed some additional game at tribal counsel, and Caleb was essentially a stiff this season. It’s hard to believe that he lasted as long as he did in his prior season, given the impact his short stay then seemed to have. He seemed a lot dumber than I expected, although he was just dealt a bad hand by this swap, but he just seemed to be swept along for the most part.

Yeah, the new orange tribe that lost was kind of boring this week.

It’s interesting to me that Ozzy and Cerie might be mending fences. I like that turn of events.

JT really seemed to isolate himself with the raft trick of abandoning people in the sea. But did you notice the animosity Sandra generated for wanting to eat the goat? I mean I probably would have wanted to let the mother and baby goat go as well, but it was interesting how much it disgusted the other players. “Sandra just doesn’t care. There’s a reason she was a Villain”. So yeah, that was a bit weird, and a dynamic to watch out for. Sandra seems to be too much in the forefront this season. Her last two seasons she was able to blend into the background more. She’s playing a much more active role this season, because Tony forced her hand, but in the end I think that’s going to get her kicked off. But we shall see. Sandra always impresses me so much with her ability to just say what she wants to say, without pissing people off, usually. It’s a rare talent.

Killing a baby goat and/or her mother would have been ridiculous. Even more so within the first week of an experience that they’ve all successfully gone through, several times for most of them. The early days of Survivor where serious starvation effects were possible are long gone.