Survivor - Game Changers

Why else go to the trouble of catching it?

I do feel somewhat embarrassed when my wife goes to the butcher and orders the Baby Goat. It’s on the menu, and I can’t deny that it tastes way better than regular goat. It’s more tender, it’s just better in every way. But hearing her say “this is BABY goat right? You’re not selling me regular goat are you?” in hearshot of other shoppers is always somewhat embarrassing.

Wait until they have to eat balut.

Because it seemed like a good idea at the time and you’re bored. If it was just a goat by itself that might be a different calculation, but an actual pathetic baby, and a mom that only got caught because it didn’t want to leave its baby? You’d have to be pretty soulless to do that when you are 5 or 6 days in and have gone through 39 days before, and you have 4 chickens sitting around?

I didn’t even know people ate baby goats, lol. Thought they might keep them as pets and for milk, which I would have done. Then you can always reevaluate if you’re just dying.

That was nuts.

Yeah. In the farewell speech, the person who was out thought JT betrayed them, as did the rest of the tribe, it seems. I didn’t actually hear JT tell the other tribe they were voting for Cierra, but there was so much going on, I could have just missed it. It’s interesting if true. Betrayal by both JT and attempted betrayal by Amber, who was trying to tell her old tribe to switch to Culpepper, which it looked like they were going to do until she started saying that to them, then they changed back to their original plan, thinking she was trying to trap them.

JT tipped Culpeper on their target. I think that he was trying to assure an ally and build trust and didn’t think that they would go after Malcolm. He thought it was a play on Sandra. So he did worse than flip for a #blindside. He got played, lost an ally, and got absolutely no positive social credit.

While I loved the twist at the time, in retrospect it really screws the physical players. In the past there were two phases. Pre-merge physical players were desired to help keep immunity and rewards and less physical players were more at risk. And then at the merge this swapped.

In this format physical players are now huge pre-merge targets too. In the past a player like Malcolm could be at least somewhat safe early on before and then try to ring up individual immunity. Now other tribes target him during group immunity too

So my imaginary girlfriend lives to fight another day. She just needs to dial the attitude back a little.

Damn, I feel sorry for Debbie’s husband, S.O., or whoever she lives with. Yikes!

I never saw Sandra play before. It is amazing how good she is. The way that she worked that sugar thing and then knew the right moment to claim it was just perfect. I have only seen maybe half of the seasons but I have never seen anyone close to as good as her. Varner was smooth as silk too. I wish that the jury saw that. When Micheala poured herself a cup of water and calmly drinking it was just so fantastic. If only it could have been some sugar with 7 drops of coffee.

I wish that they wouldn’t bother with players like Debbie, particularly for seasons like this. There’s so much interesting strategy and gameplay happening and spending so much time on how she is still delusional just tires me as a viewer. I know that they like to have a few ‘pot stirrers’ but she’s not funny, her confessionals aren’t interesting, she just has no positives.

The edit made JT off as somewhat racist but it seemed like the editors were trying a bit too hard to make it happen. That always makes me a bit squeamish. I mean, if he was then he deserves it, but I hate it if/when they try and play that stuff up in the postgame edit.

So Crazy Debbie is once again Crazy Debbie.

I’m still amazed that Sandra is still in the game. But she is smooth. JT had an idol but was convinced that he was not the target of the vote.

She’s making a good argument to be taken to the end (“no one will ever give me a third win”). Iit will be interesting to see if she does make it and what her pitch to the jury will be.

I love Sandra and Machaela, I would love for the two of them to go to the very end, if that’s possible. God, that was a great episode. I love that Sandra plays it so perfectly at tribal. None of this “he or she” when asked who is the strongest member to keep. She clearly signaled that JT was being kept and that he should be comfortable. Comfortable enough not to play the idol. Machaela drinking that water really had me busting up laughing.

Oh, and that shot when JT is telling Sandra that Machaela licked the jar “I told you that shit is fucking crazy”, and she looks right at the camera and does this look that we can see and JT can’t see. Oh man, priceless.

Also, yeah, what the hell is wrong with Debbie? She was saying that the other girl was out there a long time on the balance beam and she was only on it for 2 minutes? Could that really be true, and it was just editing that made it appear otherwise?

By the way, my first thought when she started drinking water at Tribal Council was that Machaela was getting ready to do a spit take in case she got voted out.

I thought the same thing.

No doubt about it. She’s been selling herself as the goat to be taken to the final tribal council. But she also seems to be laying the groundwork for arriving at the final tribal with a story for being the wolf in goat’s clothing. Tony came after her, and she engineered his ouster. JT got booted and Sandra made sure she got the credit for it owning up the sugar stunt. If you are relying on Sandra to be the goat with you at the final, how sure can you be of her allegiance? She will do whatever it takes to not be the person voted out, and has shown that not only in previous seasons, but this one as well. At some point, enough of the remaining players must come to the realisation that she isn’t the goat that she’s selling herself to be.

Another great episode. Heavy episode spoilers follow, obviously, so stop reading if you haven’t seen this week’s episode yet. Zeke really played that well, immediately playing Tai and Sandra off each other and making the other the target, so that even if Immunity Idols were involved in either direction, his core alliance members would be safe.

Honestly, I was hoping until the last second that Sandra would be pulled out of the fire, and the whole drama scene at Tribal council played well to my hopes. Maybe they’ll all vote Tai and he’ll pull out the idol and Ozzy will go home? Anyway, a very dramatic episode in that regard, so I enjoyed it a lot.

Also, how lucky is Debbie to actually receive wise counsel? It was very amusing to see Cochran know her kookiness and to try to get her to acknowledge reality.

Sandra did get the short end of the stick with the tribe realignment, but she set to work to save herself. The tribal council was again, chaos. I agree Zeke did qite a good job to set things up to play Sandra against Tai. I really though Tai’s paranoia at tribal council gave Sandra enough of an opening. Sandra certainly took advantage of it getting Tai to come out with Ozzy as his peferred target. But these are experienced p;layers who stuck to their plan.

Sandra is out, but kudos to her for making it this far into the game. I didn’t think she would make it this far, and she likely would have gone further with a more favourable split on the tribe realignment.

In typical Survivor fashion, the editing telegraphed the ouster. I knew she was gone the moment we starting seeing so many clips referring to herself as “the queen”, although I was afraid for a moment that someone would be voted out with two idols in his pocket (or down his pants, apparently.)

And boy, is Cochran 2.0 a big improvement over the old model. The self confidence pushing out the nerdiness makes him a lot more interesting to watch.

Great point about the swap. By the end of the episode, I’d totally forgotten that the whole episode started off by screwing quite a few people in this situation, Sandra being the biggest one.

So wow, that was a gut punch of a tribal council. I’m glad they salvaged things as they did. That was surprisingly emotional to watch.

I usually hate it when things from outside the game are brought into the game like this. The only big moment I can think of before this is when Tom Westman the Firefighter bullied Ian into giving up final immunity by dangling his own friendship after the game as the prize. It was the single most disgusting moment in Survivor. And tonight’s episode had a similar “outside the game” whopper that made me very uncomfortable. But hey, at least they talked through it and the apologies seemed genuine.

So down to 13 with the merge coming. I’m looking forward to the rest of this season.