Survivor: Ghost Island

Survivor: Ghost Island had its 2 hour premiere. As usual with the start of Survivor, there are too many players to keep track of and it’s really unclear what really happened.

So far, the Ghost Island gimmick seems to be just that – a gimmick. I suspect that it is just a gimmick to put lots of idols and advantages into play. That seems to be the way Survivor has been moving.

As for the actual gameplay from the first episode. Perhaps I wasn’t paying enough attention but it wasn’t very clear to me why the first person booted was targeted for elimination. As for the second person booted, that seemed a foregone conclusion.

I enjoyed the episodes yesterday. The losing tribe in both episodes was the same so they got much more screen time, obviously. I already love Stephanie. She’s the one who was pivotal in deciding between Donathan vs Gonzalez in the first episode, and then in pulling in Jacob aka Seth Rogan in the second episode to make him feel comfortable. She definitely seems like a great player.

On Ghost Island: yeah, I was really disappointed that there were no supernatural elements involved like they’d been implying in all the previews. I haven’t seen shows like Ghost Hunters, etc, but I’ve heard there are several shows like that. I was hoping they’d get some ghosts from those shows to use on Survivor somehow.

Stephanie really did do a number on Jacob, She looks to be a dangerous player.

Another good episode tonight. We got to know another couple of Survivors, and we lost one that we knew.

Ever since Stephanie got voted out, I’ve been watching with less interest. Last night was finally the big showdown between Dom and Chris. I didn’t really care which one of them won. The show is amusing enough that I keep watching. Chris was a good part of the reason for the amusement though.

The Dom and Chris showdown resulted in a big WTF for me. He gets himself an idol from Ghost Island but then fails to use it and gets voted out? WTF?

Chris knows that it’s a showdown between the two of them. He makes an attempt at a plan with the water well trip. The idol is useful only for next to tribal councils. Dom has played played an advantage that gives him immunity. If its a showdown between the two and Dom has just made himself immune from any votes cast his way, then Chris really should have played his limited use idol.

Perhaps he thought his water well plan was really solid and we just weren’t shown that part. He stated he was blindsided. Chris knew it was Chris versus Dom so how is it a blindside when it was one of two expected outcomes?

Because he was a moron - one of the dumbest players since James (and nowhere near as charming). A lot of the amusement he provided during his stint was because of how dumb he was.

I was digging this season for a while, but it hasn’t really kicked into high gear and I think now we’ve lost too many of the players that might have made that happen, like Brandon and Bradly. Probst insists that this is one of his favorite seasons ever, so there must be some future fireworks and dramatic surprises, but it looks like it’s going down a very predictable path right now, with most of the remaining cast being weak to very weak players.

Every season of Survivor, while it is airing, is always the Probst’s favourite.

Naw, he’s pretty fair in his opinions. He’ll only emphasize the positive, but he won’t usually say something that isn’t grounded. If a season is a dud, he’ll emphasize the few bright aspects to it, like a contestant with potential for return or a challenge that was fun, or some other constructive lesson learned from the experience.

There’s plenty of possibility for idol mayhem this season, with so many idols and whatnot floating around from previous seasons. It just hasn’t worked out in anything dramatic at tribal council yet. You figure with soooooo many idols, things have got to get interesting in that regard eventually.

I’m sad to see Chris go, though. He was unintentionally hilarious.

I find the number of idols around is really annoying. I find that they’ve really overdone it with idols and advantages.

Another week, another episode. I’m sure the show will get interesting any week now.

By the way, they implied it, but didn’t make it explicitly clear: When this idol is combined, it originally had the power to be used AFTER the votes have been read. The note didn’t explicitly say that it had this power again, did it? But that was the implication. If so, wow, that’s the most powerful idol in the game right now.

I got the impression that the two part idol was now just a regular idol and would need to be used before the vote.

Anyhow, this has not been an a very interesting season. There are too many idols and advantages. The amount of tribe shuffling was stupid. And the big Dom and Chris showdown which the whole first part of the series focused on turned into a big nothing as Chris fulfilled the stereotype of the brainless model.

As for this episode, Des didn’t have enough of a sense of what was going on. It was good idea to switch sides and make a move, but it backfired in spectacular fashion.

It’s a regular idol. Since it was a failure originally, it ‘lost power’. The whole Ghost Island theme is a bust, imo, although it’s been fun to see a few past items again, like the stick.

I did like this episode result, since I didn’t like Des and am rooting for Michael as much as anyone, I guess, although he seems doomed. I think this season is getting worse and worse, to be honest - the best gameplay was exhibited very early on, while now there are more players just coasting who have zero chance to win than any season in recent memory. More than half of the remaining contestants have zero chance to win.

This continues to be a really dull season. I am not a fan of this week’s twist. It feels like this entire season has been nothing but tribe shake ups and idols and advantages.

Yeah, this week was dull, and yet too manipulative at the same time.

I am not sure what it is with this season that makes it so boring. I generally like the cast and it seemed like there was above average players for first timers but it seems like everyone just folds over except Michael.

Dom has been getting the Mike-level hero winner edit since pre-merge. Chelsea is crushing challenges and on the right side of every move and hasn’t had a confessional interview in weeks.

I thought that the double tribal with random teams was dumb in every way. Twists are important to keep the game play fresh, but with only 5 people per team it is basically obvious from the start who will go.

This season continues to be absolutely terrible. If I could send a message back in time, I’d tell myself lottery numbers, and to skip this season.

I suppose there’s only one episode left, so I might as well see it to the end now.

I guess I still used to like Donathan before last night’s episode, but that’s no longer true. I do like Wendell, maybe even more so after he won immunity this week, but had a brain fart and didn’t call out to Jeff. He had the grace to take the blame and not make a fuss. I hope he’s able to win somehow.

Early on I thought that this would be a good season because there were a lot of players who I generally liked that seemed to be talking strategically. I generally don’t find the pre-merge game that interesting but know it sets up a lot of the post-merge stuff that I do love.

But this game has just been terrible, so many players have spent the whole post merge talking about making a move while not making any moves at all. I don’t understand how all these players can think they have any shot at things. Maybe there’s a critical mass of people playing for the 100k final 3 money or something?

I adore Wendell and would love him to win, but I just don’t see how this is anything but Dom’s game based on the edit from the very start. He’s getting the Mike edit big time.

I like Donathan as a person and I somewhat appreciate that he was finally trying to make some kind of move, but he’s clearly absolutely amazingly terrible at the game of survivor. In the super-fan cast era, you rarely get a player who clearly just doesn’t understand the game at all like him anymore.

How do they go into the finale with 6 people? They obviously knew this season was a total bust, but how do you eliminate that many people? Final four? They just draw rocks at the end because no one cares?

Yeah, he really is one laid back dude to be so gracious in that situation.

This season seemed like it had some potential early on, back when Brendan, Michael and Bradley were around. Even the Chris/Dom rivalry. But it’s been a terrible, terrible season. Bottom 5 for sure, maybe even the 2nd worst after Nicaragua