Sweet summer F/A-18 Eagle

Eagle Dynamics have released the most iconic plane in video game history, the F/A-18 Hornet.

Well, that clears it up.

Yeah, I’d say 42. ;)

Game deserves a thread. I set the title to be ridiculous as tradition for Q23. In five years you will thank or curse me. My experience shows this flight sim is a game changer.

I don’t even play flight sims but I’m onboard with this thread title. Excellently done.

The tradition is a stupid one, but if the goal was for people to have no clue what the hell you are talking about, you’ve accomplished that. Congrats? Perhaps a link would be appropriate?

And my axe!

It used to be that the visceral experience of action games were enough. From Pac Man through Doom. Later we figured out that solving a puzzle / tasks added to the enjoyment. Frankly, killing the millionth unreal foozle lost it’s appeal, and the action, as culminated in early Call of Duty wasn’t enough. We got bored.

Flight sims were the ultimate visceral games, the pinnacle of that genre. Much of the hate for current sims is that it is same old and hasn’t added the puzzle solving of current games.

I would argue that visceral (probably the wrong word) is the MOST powerful aspect of games. This is the “gameplay”.

Eagle Dynamics took this to a new level in VR.

Are you talking about the release of FA-18C HORNET for DCS World?

Yes. Tested and appreciated.

This was the most expensive game I’ve ever purchased. Worth every penny.

Think the first time you fired up a game that really “wowed” you. Lot’s of folks it was Doom, maybe Mario 64 or Goldeneye. In any case, this moment is difficult to repeat.

Hornet in VR succeeded again. What was old is new again. Cool.

I’m confused as well. @Anklebiter, isn’t this just a new plane for DCS World? You’re making it sound like a new game. And hasn’t it had VR support all along, or am I confusing it with IL-2, in which case what makes DSC’s VR support different or exceptional? I am intrigued and wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

-Tom

OK, technically I’m busted here. I will say though, that like many, I’ve ignored DCS based on the lack of “game” and time. Yes, I gushed similarly about IL2 VR, for good reason.

I’m drawing a line in the sand with this release. They have been working on the Hornet (and everything else) for years. The hornet though is special. This is the genius of Mr. Wagner, (along with CJ and all the rest) finally merged into the janky brilliance of Flanker.

It took a really long time, but this is a major milestone to celebrate. Yes, the master-plan, which includes a dynamic campaign is not done, but this is no Star Citizen. We have an amazing release.

I took one for the team and spent $80 dollars. I was rewarded by flying in an F/A18-C, with seemingly perfect fidelity, in VR. I mean, I am there.

Maybe not a new game, but a total game changer.

Go on, show em! Get a fire lit under those jaded old bastards asses :D (and edit your opening post please to be more informative, include a stolen screenie or two)

Yeah its good. very good. But an acquired taste. You have to love aircraft and be prepared to do some PC masterrace hackery to get it all right. But when you get it all done right… It. Blows. The. Mind.

(stealing screenies from mudspike forum, because when I fly, I aint got time to make selfies)

Check!

Wait, what’s this all about? Framerate issues or what? I’m pretty accustomed to most games just running. What’s going on with DCS that it needs hackery to get it right?

-Tom

Complications. Get your controls just so. Get your graphics settings just so. Get your PC tweaked for maximum performance. Get the right install in the right place. Where do I put this mission I downloaded? Where does that skin go? How do I tweak labels just so? Why are my bombs not hitting? How do I turn on the flare launcher? It is not plug & play. It’s a bit of a hump to get over, but once you’re there, its an aviators’ paradise.

I’ll be honored to answer any questions or problems you may have Sir, and help you through the process.

Last night I was celebrating a major career milestone, and I’m a lightweight.

In my impaired condition, I was able purchase, download, re-set up an Oculus and fly the jet in VR with keyboard and mouse. This speaks well to the accessibility of the product (and VR in general).

Given the amazing experience of sitting in an F/A18, looking at the MFD’s and gadgets around the cockpit, and then being able to look outside and understand that I was flying… I would argue is worth the price of admission. The hornet is an iconic bird in game history and this is a huge next step.

So what about the game? I have no idea. I’m assuming you could have tons of fun tweaking HOTAS settings, almost like downloading mods for Skyrim. I have no idea if it runs at 60FPS or if there is an upgrade path. It gave an experience no other game has done.

Eagle Dynamics have been at this for quite awhile. I do like upgrade paths and strategic layers and believe they will deliver.

I always wanted to fly F-18’s. I used to religiously read my dad’s Proceedings when I was a teenager in the late 70’s/early 80’s and the F-18 was the new hotness. I was checking into an appointment at the US Naval Academy when my eyes went from 20/17 to 20/25. It was Little Miss Sunshine for me.

So I am sorely tempted to buy a flight control system and try this out. But what if I can’t hit any of the wires, suck as a pilot and get a crappy call sign like “Porkins?” I don’t know. Might be best to leave it as a fantasy.

Seems like you can have your cake and eat it too.

I would wholeheartedly say, go for it. You don’t have to become an “expert”. Honestly, you don’t even need a HOTAS to experience this.