Sweet summer F/A-18 Eagle

You are right. Who needs all that digital jazz anyway? :P Just do some of that RIO shit goose!

He sure has chosen his nickname well, being all excited and stuff :p

I’d say heavily over-medicated on hardcore flight sim geekery :) For me the stuff is just as potent, but I’m more used to it so it doesn’t show as much. Much like an experienced drinker who can maintain balance on his bar stool long after a youngster having his first brewskis has keeled over and crawled towards the vomitaria.

Her name is Luna

F/A-18c bomb run

F/A-18 vs. Mig 29

A long time ago, a young ddtibbs and friends were cruising across the desert, when some bad dudes started shooting at us. The boss got on the radio and said “Hey, it’s not cool that those bad dudes are shooting at us. Why don’t you throw some smoke at those dudes and we’ll see what can be done.” So young ddtibbs and friends popped some smoke up on the ridge the bad dudes were hanging out on and hung out to see what would happen. Then an A-10 marked on our smoke, dropped 20 tons of ordnance and destroyed the entire ridge and every Republican Guardsman on it. No silly little squid plane is going to do that.

At least the F-18 has the advantage in air-to-air kills versus the A-10. 3 to 2.

:)

yeah, hogs are awesome. Feel the brrrrrrrrt!

Actually they do not carry twenty tons of ordnance regularly. If you flew one in DCS, you’d quickly learn these pigs wallow when loaded down. Combat load is more like four mavs and two gbu-16s (laser guided mk-82s 500 pounders).

In fact, when it comes to pure tonnage, I’d think the bug has the hog beat, putting 5 Mk-84s on target in a max load. That load is not much heavier than regular combat load, it just carries a lot less fuel. So it’ll be one pass and haul ass for that bug. The bug will also happily BFM and shoot a few bandits once its dropped its load. Don’t see no hog doing that!

And lets not forget the difference between 230knots IAS and 530knots.

(note: actually the hogs slow speed is what makes it such an effective lifesaver in the desert where nobody is shooting it with anything more sophisticated than a machinegun. It has the time to take a good look and the agility to swoop in pronto.)

I hear the call. Of alcohol.

Fortunately, the A-10 will remain in service for a good long time with new investment. Testimonials from folks in your position helped make that possible. Thanks.

Eagle Dynamics has provided an equal labor of love with their A-10 module.

Now both planes are in the game at a high level of excellence, in VR, and with multiplayer.

I haven’t tried the multiplayer yet, but I understand it’s solid. I’ll fly the hornet, but will gladly provide air support, and air defense suppression services for a flight of A-10’s.

Thanks to you guys my YouTube feed is now 94% full of various DCS gameplay videos. I really fell down the rabbit hole on this one, and it does look amazing.

Tough to equate those videos with the VR experience of Hornet. Eagle Dyamics has done an amazing job creating a video game where you can experience all that cool stuff as if your are there. Oculus + game investment is well worth the effort.

I would like to point out (again) that you don’t need to jump in at the deep end with the A-10C or F/A-18C. There are also a couple machines that can be controlled with a stick and a couple of buttons. Still very much a flight-sim, but not the study how to work the on-board computer sort of flight sim. And of course the same amazeballs VR. IMO F-15 is the easiest of the bunch, though that lacks air-to-ground.

The A-10 is available in two flavors; the full fat fiddly bits A-10C that’ll have you studying TGP manuals for CCRP LGB delivery profiles all night and the A-10A that can be had for a song and has all the guns and the bombs and the bombs and is just as slow but no mouse cursor in the cockpit.