Sweet Sweet Roku!

Yes, but what if you’re not single? (zing!)

Duh, you file for divorce.

Access to a lot of streaming movies and TV shows. I will state upfront I don’t know how “legit” it is, but I think it came as a default app on my Boxee Box.

Das Wife gave me a big… thumbs up last night!

“What’s on TV?”

“Nuffin.”

“What’s on Netflix/Roku?”

“Thousands of things we might like.”

“Like what?”

“Louis C.K. and some Fluffy dude.”

“Profit!”

Is there a decent Blu-ray / streaming media combo device which doesn’t cost a lot? Thinking of getting one for my parents’ bedroom, as that seems to be where my mom does most of her video-watching these days (despite having a much bigger TV in the family room - go figure). This would be hooked up to a 32" LCD TV and a pair of bookshelf speakers, so we’re not talking super-duper high-end AV gear here. I guess I could buy separate Roku + Blu-ray player, but I figure “fewer devices = moar gud” for my parents. Thanks!

This conversation is absurd.

Damn if I could watch the Bruins on the NHL Gamecenter channel this would be a must buy. However, stupid rules make it so I can’t watch local games or nationally televised ones.

I wonder if I could tell Roku I live in Alaska?

You must be single.

No. It’s insane that you think married people talk to each other like that. :) Were you shooting a Roku commercial at the time?

We also had a “meet cute” when we met and so on…

The praise…and here I thought all Roku did was stream Netflix on your TV for you…

So my PS3, Wii and Internet TV can all stream Netflix natively now. Is there a benefit to using Roku over these? UI? Channels??? Functionality?

It also does Hulu, Amazon on demand, can stream your own media from your network or thumbstick, has a long list of channels on it …it does more than Netflix.

You can. There are a couple options. The problem is they either have only limited file type support (mkv usually isn’t one of them) and/or they require some type of backend service running to coordinate it all.

It would be much better to have native support. I honestly don’t see how hard this is to implement. Especially now that they support streaming of many file types from USB. Seems like an easy next step to include network files shares.

Damn, sounds like I need to get one now.

But your Xbox and PS3 can do all those things too! It’s one thing if you’re getting this for a second room where you don’t have your consoles, but for your main TV, it seems purely superfluous.

EDIT: Well, not Amazon, I guess. Only the Tivo does that, I guess.

After spending the weekend using only the Roku for tv entertainment, I think we’re ready to cut the cable. This does 99% of what I need it to and it would be nice to stop shelling out $140 a month for DirecTV.

I guess my only question mark at this point is if I can use Amazon on demand to full in the blanks on current running shows. Will take a deeper look tonight.

It works about to be about $2.50 a month (amortizing over 12 months, including the summer when there are no new shows) for each show you buy on Amazon/Zune, which isn’t terrible, but can add up pretty fast. Still, if $140 is your baseline, and you add in the $9 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu, you’ve still got a lot of shows that you can buy before things get close to $140.

Netflix has the entire run of Twilight Zone available for streaming! Goodbye stoopid Syfy channel and your commercials!

I bought a Roku last week, used it one night, and returned it. I then spent a few hundered more on a PS3. I have the netflix account and so will never use any of the other movie streamers…and there really isnt anything else on there I liked…I tried a bunch of channels and they all seemed Blah to me.

With the blue ray player, internet, netflix, and gaming, it just made more send to get the PS3.

If I had NOTHING and only had a Ben Franklin, it might be worth it…but I’d still wait a bit and get a PS3.

Now, if the PS4 will be able to stream Blue Ray/DVD Iso’s, i will buy one of those for each room and get rid of all my other movie player/streamers.

Woot has refurbed Roku HD today for $40 ea. + $5 S/H. Note that this model caps out at 720p; OTOH, it has a full complement of video outputs, should you need to hook it up to something without an HDMI input.