SWG - Jedi

For whatever it’s worth, I know one guy in the game who claims he is a novice Jedi at this point.

But he may just be trying to impress me so I’ll have sex with him. Or both so it’s hard to say which is exactly sadder.

Ask him to show you his lightsaber :wink:

Actually I have and he claims only to have a “vibro blade” or something like it. Then he licks me.

Some people take “Fuck Star Wars” far too seriously.

How quickly you forget.

as soon as jedi get into the game, the most powerful guilds will powerlevel a jedi character for each of their members. no matter how difficult SOE says it is to get a jedi character, there will be hundreds of them running around shortly after the secret is discovered. of course, not is giant guild = suck it.

God help us if I’m an expert on SWG. I’m just a guy that likes it alot and doesn’t know when to shut up.

That said, it’s already been covered in this thread what’s known. Something triggers a second Force Sensitive slot to open which is also subject to permadeath (I believe though you do get a three death grace period like any new character). It’s supposedly hard to figure out what makes a Jedi and hard to maintain the status as well. By inference, since we know the Empire will hunt Jedi, they’re probably flagged for PvP (at least by bounty hunters and Imperials). This means bragging rights are all but out for playing one. You show off and you’re a marked man. What we don’t know is if there are ‘Jedi tricks’ for concealing one’s identity.

As for what triggers it everyone’s got a different theory. Devs have said that anyone, casual or powergamer, has a chance to be a Jedi. Becoming a Jedi doesn’t require roleplaying. Devs won’t be handpicking Jedi.

My pet theory is that there are some NPC quests (from themeparks, POIs, or random quest giving NPCs) that score a character Force Sensitive slot points (secretly). I also suspect, in order to give non-hardcores a shot and to better select for players that will be able to do a good job with Jedi, that many behaviors or consequences of actions might delete Force Sensitive experience potential. Then again this doesn’t completely account for past statements that everyone will have a different path to becoming a Jedi.

As this really isn’t something I’m that interested in I haven’t played close attention to the subject since before beta so there could be better theories out there.

Let me get this straight and then I will leave Star Wars Galaxies alone forever. (Although, that $79.99 Collector’s Ed. looks very tempting. :wink: )

The Jedi feature which is, arguably, for many the top of the heap in the Star Wars mythos is either active or incative and no one knows how to become one. True?

True dat.

They should have made the Jedi a magic using advanced class… it still could be 1 in 1000 to be a master jedi, but at least have a chance for EVERYBODY to be a lowbie jedi type. So what if its not realistic… its friggin Star Wars!

etc

Maybe that is exactly what they have done. We may never know.

“…and Charo twice!”

Maybe that is exactly what they have done. We may never know.[/quote]

What I mean is a Jedi class should be open right from character creation. It could even be a class so weak that it offsets those who want to be uber. The only exception would be in being uber level Jedi’s. To be that powerful would be very very rare, and in some cases would depend on how you act and play in the game. assholes could never be uber jedi’s!

etc

One thing I would like to know is if any proto-Jedi info is communicated to the client. If it is, you can bet that the 1337 haxx0rs will find out which particular little 1 or 0 is the key to unlocking that extra Jedi slot. I hope for Verant’s sake that the Jedi mojo is all done at the server end.

Considering that one of Raph’s rules is “The client is in the hands of the enemy,” I’d LIKE to think that’s the case. :)

Is this a new idea completely unique to Mount Kafka? If so, I think it’s brilliant and what Verant should have done. Sure, you can be a Jedi from the beginning, but you’ve got a long, really hard, road to walk to get to power. You could be hunted from the start, as well, and death could be permanent. Make the Jedi available to any weenie who wants to be one, but make it enough of a challenge to ensure that only “talented” players survive to alter the game balance.

I don’t think it would work. The established guilds would take turns developing a handful of jedi and shielding them from all harm, and once they were powerful enough, different members would do the same thing. Within a few weeks, you’d have nothing but hardcore players running around with Jedi, leaving the more casual players annoyed and frustrated.

SWG is already a game that heavily caters to hardcore players, notwithstanding the fact that the developers have indicated they were aiming to make it more accessible than other MMORPGs. It’s the least accessible one yet, in my opinion, although the UI elements are well done (particularly the waypoint system, although it doesn’t consistently work).

If Star Wars: Galaxy is just randomly shooting the die on who becomes Jedi, will they be the first game ever to give their customers absolutely no incentive to actually play their game? I know that’s not fair to Derek, who heroically crossed a non-existent racial line and pioneered that trend in 1993 and will probably someday be looked upon as the George Washington Carver of bravely rewardless video games, but if SWG jedi promotion is simply random and you can only have one account per server, why would anyone play at all? Games should reward people who put more time into it than others. The trick of good game design isn’t to eliminate the reward, but to make aiming towards the ultimate goal as much fun (and here is where Tom Chick blows apart in a dusty simoom, like a long-dead, vacuumized corpse spontaneously exposed to oyxgen) as the reward itself eventually proves to be. If what people are speculating about is true, trying to become a jedi in Star Wars Galaxies sounds about as rewarding as playing a computer slot machine sim.

As for making jedis ridiculously weak to start, that doesn’t tie in with the entire Star Wars mythos, where Luke Skywalker (a bratty farm boy who is barely even able to manipulate a lightsaber without jamming its plasma-ey pointy end directly into his own inanely gurgling thorax) is single-handedly able to take on about six million people in a space station that can detonate stars. You can’t make a jedi more of a weakling than being a Calimarian stripper - no one is going to buy it.

Good point.
I underestimated the social side of things. Interestingly, isn’t that what the Jedi Academy is? A place where weak newbies are sheltered and trained until they become “uber”?

I don’t think it would work. The established guilds would take turns developing a handful of jedi and shielding them from all harm, and once they were powerful enough, different members would do the same thing. Within a few weeks, you’d have nothing but hardcore players running around with Jedi, leaving the more casual players annoyed and frustrated.

SWG is already a game that heavily caters to hardcore players, notwithstanding the fact that the developers have indicated they were aiming to make it more accessible than other MMORPGs. It’s the least accessible one yet, in my opinion, although the UI elements are well done (particularly the waypoint system, although it doesn’t consistently work).[/quote]

I don’t think any mmrpg could stop the hardcore gamers from achieving uberness. I’m just saying Jedi’s should be viable to everybody. You could have Jedi’s at the highest levels that are almost impossible to gain (ie. its not scripted, its given out by GM’s). I don’t have a problem with GM’s giving out uver powers to players, or maybe even having a voting system for players to get uber Jedi… haha politics in a MMRPG! The point is playing a Jedi is what the people want. Make it more like a magic skill, force push, pull, heal could be minor… uber force push (PUSH FOURTY PLAYERS A MILE AWAY!), uber sabre techniques… imo, the Jedi would be the focus of RvR type classes that have no need in solo but cater greatly to groups in rvr… sorta like casters in DaoC I guess…

etc