Switching careers to tech industry advice

Scrummaster is a good suggestion. Our company typically has one scrummaster for every 1-2 projects, and it’s not a super technical role - in fact, a couple of our interns/HR people have transitioned into the role. As mentioned upstream, the training is not very expensive.

I do not know the salary range for that position, but I’m sure that’s a good way to get in the door to a technical firm.

I work in marketing tech at a large company, if she willing to learn dmp/dsp/digital ad stuff, we have gone through number of those positions as people gain some experience and move on to better positions at other places. (the good positions are filled so the low levels are open at my work). If she is willing to work for closer entry level pay she can probably get a job in marketing doing something like that and grow that into something more.

PMP/Scrum is good but needs training and something she can pursue while working.

General question to the fine members of QT3. Is there anyone here that reviews resume’s and or can give pointers on getting one into better shape? I haven’t updated mine is almost 10 years, so I did a basic re-do of it, after recently reading the objective field was replaced with a profile summery field. Would love to get a set of eyes on it and get some suggestions/opinions. PM me!

You may want to hire a professional who not only does resumes but also works on your LinkedIn portfolio as well. Any recruiter that looks at your resume is definitely going to look at you on LinkedIn.

In the world of game dev, people with marketing backgrounds are needed for paid user acquisition and social media management positions. There are lots of game dev studios in Austin, so she might want to browse around there. There’s also the ad tech side, working for Applovin or Fyber or AdMob or Amazon Ads, etc. I believe there’s also a lot of that in Austin.

I would specifically avoid game studios unless you have contacts there. You tend to get paid less for more work because it’s “cool”. Gaming is a better hobby than profession, unless you’re working higher up.

For resume review, we have a local (Seattle) Python developers group Slack server, with a channel devoted to just resume feedback. I’d check to see if there was a resource like that where you are. Advice varies, but generally there are some common themes.

The main advice I usually give is to envision how your resume is being read, like would you hire you given this resume, and for what role?

For LinkedIn stuff, my suggestion is to get rid of non-role-relevant entries, or at least try to consolidate them. The biggest pitfall I see is that people don’t have a clear “story” to tell about their career path.